is the quark turbo all throw?

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a liight that is basically a quark but with better throw. So I've landed on the turbo, could it replace a standard quarks edc duties of close range use?

JJV

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a liight that is basically a quark but with better throw. So I've landed on the turbo, could it replace a standard quarks edc duties of close range use?

I guess it depends on your usage pattern. the hotspot is definitely more intense than on the regular Quarks, and the reflector is more throw-oriented for sure. I do not see it as a dedicated throw monster. With the two settings, I find it acceptable as a multi-purpose light. A bit too big IMO as an EDC unless you have a holster or wear cargo pants all day long.

Put it this way-I think it's more versatile than , say, an E2DL (which to me is primarily a thrower).

YMMV.

OCD

Enlightened
I own the 2*AA Turbo. Being a newly diagnosed (and broke) flashaholic, I only have a couple of 2*CR123 incandescent lights two compare it to at this point. One of those being a Streamlight Scorpion, I believe the Quark out throws it.

That being said, the multiple levels of the Quark allow you to select a lower level that IMHO, gives you plenty of usable spill without the shot spot but yet allows you to have the high or turbo mode which will throw pretty well.

From what I have read, its not a true "thrower", but doesn't do to bad.

Hope that helps.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
My Turbo Quarks have a very slightly smaller spill area than my Quark R2's. That spill area is markedly brighter and does not have dark areas in the spill like my R2's. The hotspot of the Turbo is a tad smaller but not so small that you wouldn't use it for close quarters work. It certainly lights up near and midrange areas very brightly compared to R2 Quarks.

I would not describe the Quark Turbo as a throw torch. Even my lowly Eagletac P100C2 out-throws it.

I reckon the Quark Turbo is better described as a general use Quark who's reflector size has been optimised for the XP-G.

The Turbo has a great feel in the hand and seems very solid.

uplite

Enlightened
I reckon the Quark Turbo is better described as a general use Quark who's reflector size has been optimised for the XP-G.
+1. The turbo head mostly just compensates for the wider angle of the XP-G emitter, to give a similar beam profile as the older XP-E quarks.

RTTR -- you need to be more specific about what you want when you say "better throw".

fwiw...I went on a night hike with my Quark 123w (Q3 emitter) a couple of weeks ago. Beach hike, moderate salt spray in the air, no moon, High mode (~60 lumens) on my Quark was sufficient to illuminate cliffs and headlands at least 100 yards out.

Earlier that same evening, some Coast Guard trainees wandered down the beach looking for their friend with (this is sad) only a cellphone as their flashlight. I searched the beach in a 100-yard radius for them with my little Quark. :)

-Jeff

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
Well I do a lot of outdoor and caving use, with a Quark R5 123^2 but it just doesn't throw as well as I'd like it to for the insane amount of output it has.

Thus why I'm looking at the Turbo because it should throw better in general.

Anyone have any feedback on the dark spot in the center of the beam I've read about and seen some underexposed pictures, does this show up in real world use?

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Anyone have any feedback on the dark spot in the center of the beam I've read about and seen some underexposed pictures, does this show up in real world use?
It certainly showed up badly with my two. To the point that I had to modify them though one was worse than the other. It probably wouldn't have been such an issue if I hadn't been looking at smallish objects at the very stretched range of the torchs' distance limits. I just couldn't make use of the dark zone that appeared inside an oval shaped "ring" of light on the ground. Once I shimmed the reflectors out then things were better though I really think a peely reflector like the one on my P20C2 would be a better solution.

Others have said their beams are pefect so maybe it only afflicts some examples.

stallion2

Enlightened
its definitely not all throw. its one of the smartest purchases i've made and i do frequently EDC it. there is alot of contrast from the hotspot to the spill but the spill is still adequate for short range when using a lower mode. there is a subtle dark region in the hotspot but then again you see something similar in the Malkoff M30/60's and those are still big hits. my Quark turbo is definitely one of my brights 'tactical' lights. its hotspot is significantly more intense than the Malkoffs but the spill region is more intense in the Malkoffs. as much as i like it i don't think i would want to take it into the environments you're describing. thats something i would use my LX2 for.