Flashlight best buy?

vonhizzle

Newly Enlightened
Ok, for the money which would be the best buy.

Jetbeam Jet i pro IBS for $40

Nitecore EX10 for $50

4sevens Quark 123 for $46

These are the prices I can get them at, but am undecided. The Jetbeam is v1 the new ones are at v3, it is not used though. The Quark is the XP-E led and the Nitecore is the ramping version.

Which is the best deal? Kind of leaning towards the Quark but idk if it is as tough as the other two.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore EX10, but only if its the ramping version. I have 2 and they are VERY tough lights. Hurled full force at a brick wall and it was only after a few drops AFTER that that the lens cracked (replaced for free by Nitecore after sending them an email)

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
The price isn't that much different. Maybe start by deciding which meets your needs best and move on from there.

vonhizzle

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome. Yet another forum to feed my addictions and empty my wallet!

garden

Newly Enlightened
I would recommend the Nitecore EX10, Nitecore has very good customer service, tough lights and a good warranty.

slappomatt

Newly Enlightened
yeah I assume you are talking about the single cr123 quark. if so there are lots of lego options. not so much with the CR123 X 2 model.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF vonhizzle.

If you're the kind [like I am] that likes to have "just the right level" of light than definitely go with the EX10 ramping version. If you'd rather just have low-medium-high "close enough light level" without fussing with ramping then the Quark would probably be better.

I use a ramping D10 as my EDC and LOVE it.

DoctaDink

Enlightened
I'll throw in my vote for the EX10 which I've been using as EDC for a while. Very "Pocketable", I like the piston design. Very durable, and nice UI.
I've had good service from several Jetbeams in the past. No experience with Quarks...yet.

jblackwood

Enlightened
Ah! Thank you!

(Sorry, another noobie question)

So, what happens when you use a 123 tube (one cell) on the 123 2 head?

Your light goes :poof: and you're out your money. :mecry: The voltage of two cells is too much for the lower voltage head to handle.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread your post (which I myself quoted, duh!). The specs state that you can use as low as 3.0 volts. I guess if you use a primary, it would drop out of regulation sooner. If you use an RCR123 (rechargable), it would stay in regulation just a bit longer. But if you're planning on running it on one cell most of the time, I imagine the circuit is better designed in the lower voltage head for that application. I wouldn't worry about the light being hurt if you use it in this fashion. I'd be more worried about the RCR123 being overdrawn (Not sure how unlikely that is) and the life of the RCR123 to be reduced by some cycles.

Last edited:

PapaGary

Newly Enlightened
Your light goes :poof: and you're out your money. :mecry: The voltage of two cells is too much for the lower voltage head to handle.

ACK!

:D

EDIT: Sorry, I misread your post (which I myself quoted, duh!). The specs state that you can use as low as 3.0 volts. I guess if you use a primary, it would drop out of regulation sooner. If you use an RCR123 (rechargable), it would stay in regulation just a bit longer. But if you're planning on running it on one cell most of the time, I imagine the circuit is better designed in the lower voltage head for that application. I wouldn't worry about the light being hurt if you use it in this fashion. I'd be more worried about the RCR123 being overdrawn (Not sure how unlikely that is) and the life of the RCR123 to be reduced by some cycles.

Thanks, I guess it just shows how much I don't know about this hobby. I was thinking that by using one CR123 at a time that a pair would last longer longer. I guess not.

Thanks for trying to educate me.:eek:

jblackwood

Enlightened
Thanks, I guess it just shows how much I don't know about this hobby. I was thinking that by using one CR123 at a time that a pair would last longer longer. I guess not.

Thanks for trying to educate me.:eek:

Hold on, man. I'm not entirely sure I AM right since I myself have performed exactly ZERO runtime tests using the config. I wish someone else would chime in. If I'm right, we both learned from this! Remember, search is your friend (prob. the most hated phrase on this board). :candle::D:poke::devil: