My new light. Triple SST-90 *Beamshots added*

camaro09

Enlightened
I just recieved this today and am in love with it already!! It is a Triple SST-90 in a 2D Magelite host made by nailbender. It runs on 3 IMR 26500 cells and has a 8 level D2Flex dimmer switch. I asked Dave to run a couple OTF lumens tests before he sent me the light so I could see some actual lumen readings.

Here are his numbers,
8) over limit ( above 3000lumen)
7) 2562 lumen
6) 1887 lumen
5) 1300 lumen
4) 905 lumen

With such small reflectors this is mostly a floody light but has the sheer power to completly light up a field very well. I have not had the chance to really use this in the dark woods of northern Minnesota yet, but think it will pass with flying colors.

Dave put some glow power in the epoxy that holds the reflectors in place and look very cool.
2b883d1c.jpg

5d7406e7.jpg

It is by far the brightest LED light ive ever seen and am very happy with it. On high the light emitted is very warm feeling more than a foot away from the light, but it is no paper lighter lol. How about we let the pictures speak for me.
3a6b2546.jpg
c610fdbe.jpg

04f9d421.jpg
05665418.jpg

Here is just a couple beamshots I took tonight. Please go easy on me being these are the first beam shots ive ever taken and did them in a hurry. Distance to the trees is around 40 yards and all lights are pointing to where the trees and payment meet. The only two lights I have that even compare to my triple SST-90 are my Malkoff Wildcat and my truck headlights :devil:. Not sure what the headlights are rated at but it was the low beams of a 1999 Ford F-150. All pictures are pretty close to what the eye sees except for the remainder of spill past the range of the photo. Thanks for looking. :thumbsup:

The Malkoff Wildcat rated at 600 actual lumens at turn on.
75adb218.jpg

My 1999 Ford F-150 headlights on low.
4530641e.jpg

The Triple SST-90 on high rated at over 3000 actual lumens.
57d9e1cc.jpg

I just cant get enough of this portable SUN. I was aiming both lights just above the hot tub. Also both light are similar in beam pattern and hotspot with the SST-90 only having a slightly brighter hotspot. Distance to corner of back wall above the hot tub is about 52 feet.

Control Shot____________________Malkoff M60w MC-E______________Triple SST-90
1085d10c.jpg
8dd3ac27.jpg
4af76347.jpg

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My new light.

That light is just absolutely amazing.

I remember Nailbender telling me about it. It gets hot and with over 3000 OTF lumens :twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

Lucky for you the D2flex allows you to use it past 5 minutes.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast

SLLLLAAAAMMMMIIINNN!!:twothumbs
I want that on my BIKE!

now to go sell some stuff....

camaro09

Enlightened

LOL im thinking about having one built into a headlamp... Just kidding of course. I think it would give me a sunburn on the forhead.

Im stuck at work tonight so best I could do was pictures from my Iphone. I just had to share my joy with everybody. :D

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL im thinking about having one built into a headlamp... Just kidding of course. I think it would give me a sunburn on the forhead.
:D

Nah, don't do it. Might actually fry whatever's left in there :naughty:

Mind you, I've eaten sheeps brains and THAT tasted good so..

So, do we get to know how much it was?

Congrats.

So, do you have something powerful to compare with for some outdoor beam shots?

camaro09

Enlightened

Nah, don't do it. Might actually fry whatever's left in there :naughty:

Mind you, I've eaten sheeps brains and THAT tasted good so..

So, do we get to know how much it was?

Congrats.

So, do you have something powerful to compare with for some outdoor beam shots?

I had a single SST-90 Mag from Nailbender not long ago but I sold it to fund this hoss. It put out 1450 lumens, so around half of this one. The thing is there your using one large Mag reflector where these reflectors are smaller than a P60 reflector. So the single has quite a bit of throw whereas this one is mostly flood, but I still need to be careful not to cause forest fires. :devil: Right now all I have in my pockets are a Muyshondt Aeon and a Malkoff M60w MC-E MD2.

Last edited:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks and I'm sure others will chime in as soon as they wake up demanding outdoor shots :)

camaro09

Enlightened

Thanks and I'm sure others will chime in as soon as they wake up demanding outdoor shots :)

Im sure they will. A few months ago I was on a big selling mission and sold most of my lights. The only thing I have at the moment that is even close at all is my Malkoff Wildcat MD4, but thats only 600 lumens so maybe I can buy 4 more of them and hold them together for testing lol :crackup:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good thinking but nah, you shouldn't have to buy more stuff :)

I'm upgrading my collection too and getting rid of the more normal stuff like DX and wally world lights and such.

I will be much more selective in the future.

I want something extremely powerful but I want more throw. In any case, I don't have the money so I'll wait. By then maybe something emerges but I may have to have something built :)

flashfiend

Enlightened

No wonder you can't sleep. That light must make night feel like day. Dave sure can build some output monsters. Congrats on a great light from a great builder.

camaro09

Enlightened

Working overnights has its advantages for sure :devil:. Its a Flashaholics dream. Ya Dave is like the Beethoven of flashlights. He sure does make some beauties!!
:thanks: Dave

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wasn't Beethoven blind? Or maybe he was deaf...I guess being deaf won't keep someone from making lights...

I was reminded of someone's screen name (on a different forum I think) which was "blind in one ear"

:nana:

Last edited:

camaro09

Enlightened

Wasn't Beethoven blind? Or maybe he was deaf...I guess being deaf won't keep someone from making lights...

I was reminded of someone's screen name (on a different forum I think) which was "blind in one ear"

:nana:

:p LOL I said "like" Beethoven. Well whatever he was he made beautiful music. Dave make beautiful music in the form of "high power hand held portable lighting devices". LOL That sounds better than just flashlights. Its like calling a janitor a 'Sanitary Technician' :crackup:

SuperTrouper

Enlightened

Very sweet light!

As others have said, please PLEASE give us outdoor Beamshots soon!

Latest posts