P7 DSWOJ DD with IMR 26650?

saltytri

Enlightened
I've been scouring old posts to try to bone up on direct driving a P7. I have a DSWOJ on hand and it looks as if it will be OK to DD it from an IMR 26650. Am I about to do a :poof: ??

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds good to me. Should get great runtime too.
IIRC your Vf is 3.75 volts. I have been using D bins, several of them AMF, on emolies which are the forerunner of the new IMR 26650, LiNiCo chemistry. Those batteries are 3.7 volts, a perfect match!!

Prior to the IMR 26650, a run test was done by AWR (not AW) and the results showed the emolie discharge so flat it looked like regulation!!

These cells also have high capacity 4Ah, and a charge rate of 3amps, you can recharge a light in minutes, not over night. Those cells are safe lithium and can charge in series. I have built single P7s on these cells and put charging jacks on the lights.
click to englarge
I now have built a tri-p7 on three of these cells, a jack on the left of the switch and an always on glowing green 5mm LED to the right for night light location (runs at 0.02 mA)

On taskLED.com D2flex you have pwm control of the modes (it is not a driver), and can run so many variations of brightness levels, strobes and memory, thermal protection, auto off, auto lock, and more, more than any other driver!!

C bins first beat the D bins out and people were direct driving, DD, them on 3.6 V li-ions and these were so much brighter than anything else out there folks were satisfied with the results but the Vbat was less than the Vf. Actually though that is innefficient because it was not getting the maximum out of the LED.

The D bin and 3.7 V battery match Vf and Vbat perfectly.:goodjob:

Last edited:

saltytri

Enlightened
Thank you, gentlemen. I'll forge ahead. And maybe add a d2flex to the mix. :thumbsup:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
No issues, as long as you heat sink it well,
I had a CSXOI bin P7 DD on IMR 26650 (fresh off charger 4.21v)
The C/I P7 generate more heat & more current than D/J P7 on same battery.

No :poof:, but looked brighter than SSR-50 on IMR26650 :twothumbs

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
No issues, as long as you heat sink it well,
I had a CSXOI bin P7 DD on IMR 26650 (fresh off charger 4.21v)
The C/I P7 generate more heat & more current than D/J P7 on same battery.

No :poof:, but looked brighter than SSR-50 on IMR26650 :twothumbs

It definately would, the Vf is lower than the D, that is the beauty of the D and battery.

saltytri

Enlightened
Here's the answer to my own question: it works fine and puts out a fearsome amount of light! :eek:

saltytri

Enlightened
I just measured the current at the tail cap at 2.5A. This is after about twenty minutes of running on a battery that was fresh off the charger. The meter is a Fluke 75 with jerry-rigged 14 ga leads about 5" long. I'll post the beginning current when I get the battery charged up.

Mettee

Enlightened
It will be fine I have done many P7 builds just like yours with the 26650 and the D2flex. Never had a problem. With any build I agree with others, heatsink well.