Someone verify 4Sevens info please

Abouna

Newly Enlightened
Well I was pretty excited to find the Quark Mini 123 to replace my aging (but still going strong) Fenix P1. Everything looked good, MUCH more output, and an even smaller (slightly) form factor. Just what I've been waiting for.

So I decided to call them today and confirm I will be able to use RCRs in this new light. Unfortunately they told me no. I was surprised. I was sure I had read that RCRs were OK for this light. They then compared it to my P1s inability to do the same. I told them I've been running RCRs in my P1 since day one with no problems (I bought my P1 from LightHound along with the charger and RCRs).

So who's right here? I'm hoping 4Sevens is wrong, not to point a finger, but so I can get this light!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Like the P1, it is physically possible to run the light on an RCR, but it wasn't designed for it, and you'll be responsible for the loss if something fries.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive been doing it for a few months but only have it on high for a few min
at a time... there's a ton of anecdotal info on this already in the q mini
thread also.

Its wayyy brighter on high w rcr and gets warm pretty quick.

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
the circuit can handle them, but you have to be very careful of heat buildup on high.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Loads of us are running RCRs in the Mini123, no problems reported so far, from what I can tell. As above, the circuit can handle an RCR. The only issue is that the tiny body can't remove heat fast enough, so if you plan to run for long periods on high, you can harm the LED or circuit. Solution: if you run an RCR, turn it off when it starts getting hot; if you already know you plan to run on high for minutes at a time, use a primary.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got 3 mini123's and all of them running RCR123's. I just make a point to not run them on high unless I'm holding them and am aware of the temperature. My basic rule on high is no more than one minute hand held unless it's absolutely critical. Of course if it's critical I'll probably opt for having a little less light for a lot longer than risk having no light. ;)
I think 4Sevens is just covering himself so they don't get a lot of fried Mini's back. For those who know how to handle them there should be no problem.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was sure I had read that RCRs were OK for this light.
4sevens originally advertised the light as RCR compatible but realized that not everybody is a flashaholic and will not necessarily be aware of potential problems like heat build-up frying the LED and other components, so to save themselves warranty hassles they simply rewrote the specs.

Abouna

Newly Enlightened
OK guys. Good enough for me. Just as I was hoping, I've never fried my P1 and I suspect I'll not fry the Mini either.

Thanks!