Surefire E1e & C2

artdeg

Newly Enlightened
I would like to convert my Surefire E1e & C2 to an LED. Any suggestions relative to dropins? The Malakoff M61 is out of stock on the website for the C2. I am pretty new to this site and not very technical with the terminology.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to convert my Surefire E1e & C2 to an LED. Any suggestions relative to dropins? The Malakoff M61 is out of stock on the website for the C2. I am pretty new to this site and not very technical with the terminology.

You can actually put the M61 on both the C2 and the E1e. To get the M61 subscribe to the link at the left/lower of the page and you will get an email as soon as some are available. I too am waiting for my chance to purchase one.

Malkoff sells the VME bezel for $30 and it attaches to your E1e body. More importantly; it will allow you to use the M61 in your E1e or if you purchase a M30:thumbsup:

pwatcher

Enlightened
maybe go to cpf marketplace and place a WTB listing for a Malkoff M30 and M60/61?

There are a lot of M60's out there, that would work beautifully in your C2. They come in warm or cool tints, and throwers vs flooders, and low and extra low levels for greater run times.

How do you plan to use your C2? Mostly inside, or outside?

artdeg

Newly Enlightened
I checked the Malkoff web site and everything I need is sold out. Can anyone recommend other sites that have dropins perhaps with multiple settings - low-high?

pwatcher

Enlightened
I'd start out with Malkoff's - don't be afraid to buy used. There are lots of other dropins, many with multiple levels, but none are better than a Malkoff IMO. You'll be overwhelmed with choices and conflicting opinions if you open the door beyond Malkoffs, and you can usually get a preowned one with very little usage for $40-$50. You don't need to start out with an M61, besides, there is only one version of it currently being offered, and as you've observed, it's out of stock and may remain so for quite some time before supply catches up to demand.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
I checked the Malkoff web site and everything I need is sold out. Can anyone recommend other sites that have dropins perhaps with multiple settings - low-high?

Look for a used Malkoff M60 (or even a M61) on the Marketplace.

If you want something custom, take a look at Nailbender's offerings in the Custom Custom & Modified forum to see what he has to offer.

Gatsby

Enlightened
As for the E1e, whether a Malkoff or other choice you'll need a replacement head as there has only been one AFAIK drop in produced for the standard head and it is out of production.

The conventional fix would be to get a KX1 dual mode head from Surefire - it will give you a nice high beam, usable low and very nice runtimes. In the used market a KL4 (lux v) or KL1 would also work (although the KL4 only with rechargeable lithium ions). A new KX2 would also work with rechargeables.

And TLS has some e series heads and I believe their single cell dual mode was on sale in the marketplace from a dealer at a very attractive price - don't know if that special is still going.

saabgoblin

Enlightened
The E1 will take a M30 single cell drop in but you will also need the Valiant Concepts E series head to adapt your E1 to accept a single celled Malkoff drop in. You can use the V-Concepts head on any E series SF flashlight but you must be aware that certain drop ins require different voltages so if I am not mistaken, your C2 would probably blow the M30 and your E1 would probably seriously underdrive at the very least, direct drive the M60.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to say don't convert your two SureFires, as the Malkoff dropins appear to be outstanding. But after you buy two drop-ins, and a head for the E1E, or get custom work done, you'll be dropping enough money to get a very nice LED light.

I will just suggest that, instead, consider getting one LED light, a RA Clicky in whatever flavor suits you in terms of light output, tint, and UI, and leave the SureFires as they are. The RA will give you four differnt light levels, and runtimes from 1 hour plus on high, to a couple of days on really, really low.

If you are willing to carry 2 lights, your C2 and E1E pretty much make the ideal incan combo. 1 + hours of 15 lumen light from the E1E and 2 hours of 60+ lumen light from the C2.

I'm an LED guy, but I've really enjoying my incan SureFires. Just something to think about.