Disaster Lights

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
No I am not talking about lights that are disasters. This is about what light(s) you currently have that can be used during and/or after a disaster event.

Events: Earthquake, Tropical Storm/Hurricane, Blizzard, Ice Storm, Tornado, Severe Thunderstorm, Tsunami. Any other event that results in longer term power loss.

Categories: Incandescant flashlight, LED flashlight, Headlamp, lantern.

The only non-modded to LED incan flashlight I have, is the Legend LX: good for short use only.

LED: PT Impact 4AA, 2 x Brinkmann Rebel, Infinity, Infinity Ultra, Inova X5T, Lightwave 4000, CMG Reactor (2AA), Radio Shack Metal Mini w/Versalux PR-2 LED, 2D Mag w/Versalux, Rev1 Arc LS, Arc LSH-S.

Headlamp: 2 x Brinkmann Focused LED, PT Solo w/Matrix Module, Lightwave Illuminator, Petzl Zoom w/single LED bulb, Coleman Peak 1 Expedition Headlamp w/Versalux, Petzl MegaBelt.

Lantern: Eveready 2 LED Folding Lantern.

That about covers my entire light inventory, since I think in longer runtimes.

I suppose we could include the more primitive Torch, Candle, and wick based oil/kerosene lanterns for this discussion.

Exactly which lights I would be using, depends on my battery inventory at the time. In these circumstances, I would favor the X5T for its long runtime on a pair of 123s, and one of my Arc LSes mounted on my custom 2C pack.

Please check in with your lights that qualify. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
My large inventory of torches could be useful during a disaster. If a long term power outage is envisaged, I would always opt for a torch with large capacity batteries.
I have a couple of oil (kerosene) lamps which are cheap to run, and which could be adapted to run on other oils if it proved necessary. So, my 2-LED 3D Aluminium torch would be a mainstay for portable use. The run time on this torch is hundreds, even thousands of hours...
It all depends on what disaster is envisaged. In places like Yugoslavia and some African countries the terrorists deliberately targetted the power distribution networks as well as power stations rendering them useless for months.
Natural disasters leave many unprepared for the outcome.
A few tins of food and bottles of clean water would be a priority. Shutting down an elexctrical supply for an extended period in a 21st century environment will do a lot more than cause extreme darkness at night....
Beside torches, batteries and kerosene i would also try to get hold of food.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Charles,

I think I would pull out my collection of ElektroLumens lights (including the Blaster #01). They give a lot of light for a long time. Then there is the Lightwave 4000.

Of course, a G2 could be run for 2 hours a night for 18 days if one had a bulk pack of 72 SureFire 123's in reserve.

Tom

B

BULLDOG

Surefire also makes the 12B Hurricane light that is 3 lumens of light with over 50+ hours of run time, I carry them for $49.

JJHitt

Enlightened
I've several 6V railroad lanterns, including one (Star Lantern model 2002) that is a LED/Halogen light. Nice light.
http://www.star1889.com/2002.htm

Runtimes with a new 6V battery is usually on the order of days.

A LW/4000 is also a favorite pick for extended power outages.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I limited this to what we currently have in our personal stashes, er, collections of lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I did not want to make this a general disaster preparedness topic. So: lights only, guys!

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Here's my list of disaster light and their runtims (time to 50% of max brightness):

New Beam..............9.5hr
LightWave 4000........48hr
ARC AAA...............7hr
Eternalite Marine....11.5hr
Pal Light............6hr
Stylus...............10hr
CMG Ultra-G..........11.5hr
Xenergy AL606-3led....10hr
Anglelux.............24hr
SL TT-3led...........33.5hr
SL TT-6led...........18hr

Plus a bunch of high output converted flashlights, all with 1w or 5w LS leds.

paulr

Flashaholic
I have a couple of 4-day candles (the kind in the glass jars) that are $1.29 at the local supermarket, plus the usual bunch of flashlights. None of the flashlights were acquired specifically for emergency purposes, but I could probably run my CMG Ultra-G for weeks on the AA's that I have kicking around here. It makes a reasonable emergency light pointed upwards, bouncing off a white ceiling. It would be nice if it could stand on end by itself, but putting it in an old pill bottle holds it nicely. Also, my Mag 3D supposedly will run for 15 hours or so on a set of batteries, at quite a bit more brightness than the CMG.

The candles seem a bit more sensible than oil lamps, since they won't spill flammable liquid all over the place if they get knocked over. Even if knocked over when lit, they'll probably just go out, though that's not guaranteed. My guess (not verified) is the solid paraffin wax has about the same amount of energy per ounce and same density as liquid kerosene, so runtime should be comparable for similar fuel volumes and light outputs. And they are cheap and easy to find, since many Hispanic Catholics around here apparently keep one burning at all times for religious reasons, so the local supermarkets buy them in volume and move a lot of them.

Some CPF'ers seem to live for power failures! I guess it's a flashaholic's moment of glory. But I'm always puzzled by the stories that go "as soon as the power went out, I ran around the house setting up a <battery powered light source> in every room". Jeez, most of us (hopefully) don't leave the lights on in empty rooms when the power is working, so why light them when the power is out?

The one kind of dedicated "emergency light" that I see making sense is the kind that stays plugged into a wall outlet and turns on automatically when the power fails. That keeps you from tripping on things when things suddenly go dark.

The SF Hurricane light used for its stated intention (long-running light using 123 cells) was also clearly insane as a product. But I gather that its real intention was somewhat different from the stated one, i.e. it was really intended as a way for Surefire to sell 123's very cheaply without breaking non-compete agreements that it had with its battery suppliers (see, Surefire wasn't selling batteries all by themselves, it was selling a complete "emergency" light including a dozen batteries that just happened to cost less than what other companies charged for the batteries alone). Those agreements seem to have expired and Surefire and others are now selling 123's for a fraction of what they cost as recently as a year or so ago. So the Hurricane Light no longer makes any real sense. You'd be much better off with a small LED cluster run by three or four alkaline D cells.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with you, Empowertorch, that the disaster itself will dictate what is used to at least some degree. The disaster you see coming, is easy to prepare for. Earthquakes are a different story. What you have with you, or have the presence of mind to grab can make a difference.

Most of the time when I am out of the house, like at Walmart, the only light I have with me, is my Ultra and no spare battery. More than adequate for perceived potential need.

Bill.H

Enlightened
My designated power failure light is my Blaster II. 24 hours at full brightness (that's 3 days assuming you sleep in the dark) and another 24 at a lower but still useful level. In candle mode, it's good enough to actually read a book by with no eyestrain. The last 24 hours it's only good enough as a room light to find the toilet paper. But since it's only 3D, it's so cheap to just throw new ones in.

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Some CPF'ers seem to live for power failures! I guess it's a flashaholic's moment of glory. But I'm always puzzled by the stories that go "as soon as the power went out, I ran around the house setting up a <battery powered light source> in every room". Jeez, most of us (hopefully) don't leave the lights on in empty rooms when the power is working, so why light them when the power is out?

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif for the same reason that dogs spend all day laying around the house licking their... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget your rechargeable lights probably have a DC adapter, so you could charge them in your car. I also have an AA/AAA NiMh charger that has a 12 volt adapter, so I can charge those as well.

2dogs

Enlightened
Hi Charles, always good to hear from you. I always learn something from this kind of thread. If the power goes out here in town you could see my house from space if I ran everything at once. However I like to use the minimun neccesary. Kerosene lanterns are my "go to" when the power is out. The fuel is cheap and stable. There are a couple of Alladin kerosene lamps filled and ready also, mucho light-but fragile. As much as I don't like M*g, their mini is next. I must have a dozen, one with an Opalec module. My wife uses a Petzl led headlamp, mine is an incandescent.

There are candles, a generator, a 1000 watt inverter and a M*gcharger (both from Costco) in the truck, on and on. I get up early and go to bed when it gets dark so I'm set. My wife is just the opposite, she gets off work at 04:00. Plus I think (hope)she owns stock in Yankee Candle. Our mantle looks like an altar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As always fortune favors the well prepared. Power outages aren't the disaster for me like they are for our neighbors. In fact we usually help out the neighbor hood at such times. Good luck.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unicorn, unfortunately not everyone has a vehicle, or even drivers license.

Hi 2dogs! Seeing that you are in California, in a post earthquake situation, fire based lighting may not be a good idea, due to ruptured gas lines.

Of course, the idea for this topic is to see what people have for the situation. In most disasters, the power outage is an effect, rather than the disaster itself. Several examples of longer term outage are Hurricane Andrew, Northridge earthquake, and Loma Prieta (world series - San Fransisco Bay). The affected areas were without power for quite some time (not to mention the other devastation).

In my situation, I might use my NiMHs first, followed by non-rechargables.

Latest posts