Need guidance with 1st Mag Mod

greencardigan

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I need some guidance for my first light build.

Essentially, I want to build an aspherical maglite with an SST-50 or SST-90 with 2 or 3 modes. I already have a few aspherical lights using XR-Es but I NEED MORE LIGHT. :ohgeez:

My main issue currently is how it will all fit together physically as I don't have any of the parts yet bar a few 18650.

Anyway, here's my first questions and thoughts. I suspect I'll have more as I progress. Am I on the right track? Any help appreciated.

1. I like the TaskLED drivers (have used a bFlex) and would like to use the d2Flex. However, the latest d2Flex is rated up to 6A which will limit it to the SST-50 or under driven SST-90 I think.

2. I am unsure yet whether I should use the b2Flex with direct drive or with 2 x 2.8A drivers (DX 20330) or 3 x 1.4A drivers (DX 1886). Is there any info here regarding the likely direct drive currents when using SST-50 and 90 with direct drive from various batteries?

3. I don't know much about the 26650 and 26500 batteries and I dont have the right charger for them. Are they normally used in Maglite builds? Are 18650 ok? I'm was thinking 2 x 18650 in parallel (for direct drive or DX 1886) or in series (for DX 20330).

4. Do the Britelumes heatsinks leave enough room between the switch for a b2Flex + drivers? Can the driver boards be put on the battery side of the switch?

5. The previous question leads me to my most confusing issue. What size maglite use???? I suppose this depends on the battery type, number of batteries and the location of the drivers.

6. Can the brightlumens heatsinks be inserted far enough into the maglite to allow the DX aspherical lense to focus properly?

7. Do the Maglite LED versions have the same body as the non-LED versions? If not, which type is best to mod?

Sorry for all the questions. Just want to get things sorted in my mind before I get too far into it.

Thanks.