Arc 2AA runtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

bj

Newly Enlightened
Tried searching for this to no avail, though I'm sure it's around here somewhere...

Is there a comparison of runtimes of the Arc LS with the single 123 versus the 2AA pack? I know it depends on the types of batteries used, but I'm just looking for ballpark figures.

While we're on the subject, is there an appreciable difference in the current draw between the LSH and LSL?

I've got a new LSH-S and a (new to me) first-run LS (I'm guessing they were low dome from the beam pattern?) and I'm trying to trade off which to EDC and which to put on the 2AA pack (to 'EDC' in my briefcase). Any clues appreciated.

** I'm probably not the first one to say this, but "Those who can, innovate. Those who can't, litigate." **

bj

Reaper

Enlightened
According to Arc, run-times are:

Lithium 123 - 2hrs
2xAA Alk. - 1.5hrs
2xAA NiMH - 2.5hrs
2xAA Lithium - 3+hrs

Hours are average and like you say, depends on battery quality. I only use my lights sporadically these days so I just use the 123 power pack for a low profile EDC. My shoulder bag holds a 3AA Opalec and batteries. So now I have a LSH for small bright light and a Opalec with almost the same brightness (dark situations) for at least 18hrs. These two lights gives me at least 20hrs of light even with no change of batteries. I figure I'm covered for most common situations.

mahoney

Enlightened
Based upon my experience, the first run ARC LS (before the hybrids) electronics work well with either lithium, alkaline, or rechargeable batteries. The constant current electronics now offered in the LS seem to get better run time out of lithium and rechargeable batteries than they do out of alkaline. When my LS hybrid went into moon mode I could take the AA cells out and get at least a half hour or more bright run time out of them in an older LS. YMMV depending on battery brand, Luxeon forward voltage, etc. If you are going to use rechargeable AA cells, it does not matter which head goes on the 2AA pack. If you are going to use alkaline cells, and assuming your first run LS has the old style electronics (look for a flat positive battery contact versus the raised button contact on current models) you will get more mileage out of the batteries using the first run head on the 2AA pack, in my opinion anyway.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Do a search on the Reviews Forum for "Run-Time Plot - ARC" for the past year. Should bring up all the runtime plots I've done on ARC's. Note that these are early series ARC's.

bj

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all, especially Roy. I used those search terms earlier, but kept getting a message that my search could not be completed. Maybe things were acting up this morning? Or is the search case sensitive? Of course, now that I've found them, the plots aren't coming up!

Kind of bought the 2AA pack thinking longer run time, doesn't look like you get much benefit unless you use lithium AA's. Not knocking it, since the 123 is lithium, and I guess being able to use rechargables would be pretty nice if I get to using it a lot.

Sounds like the older head might go better on the 2AA from the sound of things.

Thanks all for the input, much appreciated!

bj

Status
Not open for further replies.