What makes a light you just like?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are all adding when funds permit new lights and assorted bits and bobs like batteries etc but what draws you to a certain flash light you just like?

This week I have added a Led lenser K3 a Streamlight Key Mate and a Terralux Lightstar 100 and disposed of a Streamlight Stylus Pro.

I have taken a real liking to the Terralux but I have lights brighter and far more expensive but for some reason it feels good and using it as much as I can.In the day times I find my ITP A3 is the light I cannot leave home without and to round it off need my Fenix EO1 to use in late evening.

3 very different lights but all have my affection.

How about the members and why?

Brian321

Enlightened
I like to carry my cheaper lights everyday and I only take my more expensive one with me if im going somewhere (caving, camping, etc).
A light that i just like would be very bright and have a single mode and be medium in size.( My favorite is the SF 6P with the Malkoff M61).

jefflrrp

Newly Enlightened
Im sure Im like many on this forum, in that every time I visit a brick&mortar store, I have to view the flashlight and lantern section(s). Im attracted to old school type lights. I have a love for incandescents and warm-led lights, and so if I see one I like, I pick it up. I also love small, EDC-able keychain lights, with the Fenix E01 at the top of the list.

For some odd reason, I also love old technology, dim cheapie lights too. Got a bazillion of those. For no reason. Maybe give-aways in an emergency situation ??

J33psr0ck

Newly Enlightened
After having a few different obsessions over the years (firearms, knives, Jeeps), I suppose my tastes have evolved to prefer compact, tough, higher quality lights (SureFire, Ra, Peak). Even though I just recently began to learn more about the technical aspects of flashlights, I don't see my tastes changing towards less expensive, more lumens types of lights, just because they are less expensive or appear brighter.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
mag 2D host. 2xIMR26650 + mag 6D Xenon PR lamp and a DIY PVC spacer tube. Its a $25 light, great tint, ~130L OTF (slightly brighter than my E2L). I use a KD OP reflector and glass lens for more flood, but it certainly works great with the OEM optics. Only draws .9A so thats good for ~4 hours. With IMR cells the output is ruler flat and regulated as well as anything on the market. Great bulb life too.

Next would be a SF-G2 hosting a DX:3218. I run it off RCR123 cells and its a nice budget setup.

I too am a sucker for the old classics. With some sensible mods they can go a long way. I have always found ~100-130 Lumens the perfect output level for general use tasks, with minimal run time tradeoff.

You ask why?.... Simple economics perhaps. My $25 2Dmag setup is slightly brighter than my $155 E2L. With these cells it will run for 2 more hours (I run my E2L with RCR123 cells), emit ~20 more lumens (ballpark), has WAY better CRI and is just as well regulated with the IMR26650 cell chemistry.... and its USA made, (you can't say that about a lot of cheap lights).

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love keychain lights and lights with good beam profiles and tints. I think thats why I have been using my romisen rc-c6 so much, I just love the beam pattern you get with an aspheric even if you do lose some output.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
What makes a light you just like?

it works when i need it.:candle: