5-Mode P60 Drop-in, does it exist?

Superorb

Enlightened
I'd like a P60 sized drop-in with the following modes and memory to work with 1x18650:

250lm, 125lm, 60lm, 20lm, 3lm

Even a 250lm, 60lm, 5lm would be better than the regular settings I normally find.

Does this exist?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Nope... not without a disco strobe somewhere in between.

Closest you can get is to DIY a 3 mode using the Shiningbeam LMH driver. Every once in a while Nailbender will make some with this DC-DC board.

Don't quote me on this but I think there might be a LF 3 mode, LMH.

Superorb

Enlightened
Solarforce 3-mode drop-ins are HML.

Well, I've got the SLF 3-mode drop-in for my first 18650 light. I've got a Lumapower ConneXion X2 that has very well spaced levels with no strobe and memory. I was hoping to find something similar in a drop-in but with 2 extra modes to spread out the increase in light from the 18650 cell.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lumens Factory 3-mode is very good. I've got 6 P60s and that's been the only one I've used in the last 3 months. The levels are very sensible, I'd say 10L->60L->200L.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it possible to make one myself, or perhaps modify an existing one?
Yes to both.

All of my modded drop-ins are of the "Super Bright" or generic drop-in variety that sometimes come with lights.

Simply desolder the centre spring from the base of the old driver, desolder the old driver, desolder the drivers wires from the LED base.

Solder the wires from the new driver to the LED base, solder the new driver to the pill, solder the centre spring to the bottom of the new driver and you're good to go.

You can also buy empty reflector/pill assemblies to build your own.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Is it possible to make one myself, or perhaps modify an existing one?
definitely... the hard part is locating a source for the DC-DC boards that has multi-output modes, without the disco modes. AFIAK the shiningbeam board is the only one, but he only gets them in limited quantities.

Superorb

Enlightened
Yes to both.

All of my modded drop-ins are of the "Super Bright" or generic drop-in variety that sometimes come with lights.

Simply desolder the centre spring from the base of the old driver, desolder the old driver, desolder the drivers wires from the LED base.

Solder the wires from the new driver to the LED base, solder the new driver to the pill, solder the centre spring to the bottom of the new driver and you're good to go.

You can also buy empty reflector/pill assemblies to build your own.
Is this the one from Shiningbeam? Also, how do you set the modes? Does it work well with a single 18650? Is there a DX/KD one that would work too?

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-40/Circuit-board-1160/Detail

Last edited:

Superorb

Enlightened
I found one on DX that's a 5-mode with the strobe, but the levels look good and it has memory. I might have to compromise.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15880

- Designed for Cree XR-E and Seoul Semiconductors SSC P4 LEDs
- Voltage input range: 0.9V~4.5V
- Output current: 1000mA
- Diameter: 17mm
- Regulated current ouput
- 5-mode circuitry with mode memory built-in:
- High - 1000mA
- Mid - 350mA
- Low - 50mA
- Strobe - 1000mA
- SOS - 1000mA

carrot

Flashaholic
I've only ever seen 5 mode drivers being the same as 3 mode drivers but with disco modes added.

It's disco time.

Superorb

Enlightened
I've only ever seen 5 mode drivers being the same as 3 mode drivers but with disco modes added.

It's disco time.
If they had the above driver minus disco modes I'd order one. 50mA seems pretty low to me despite the 1A high mode.

carrot

Flashaholic
If they had the above driver minus disco modes I'd order one. 50mA seems pretty low to me despite the 1A high mode.
How is the DX offering terribly dissimilar from the output levels of the Lumensfactory 3-mode and Solarforce 3-mode? Or the Thrunite 3-mode? DX just adds disco mode.

Superorb

Enlightened
How is the DX offering terribly dissimilar from the output levels of the Lumensfactory 3-mode and Solarforce 3-mode? Or the Thrunite 3-mode? DX just adds disco mode.
It looks like it has a lower low mode. The SF low is 10% of total output, which at 200lm high means lows of 20lm.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this the one from Shiningbeam? Also, how do you set the modes? Does it work well with a single 18650? Is there a DX/KD one that would work too?

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-40/Circuit-board-1160/Detail
No, that's not the one. The one I regularly use is currently out of stock.

When the next batch of MG L-Mini II lights come in, so will a supply of the drivers.

You simply tap the tailcap to change modes...they are not configurable.

I did buy a 3-mode driver without the blinky crap from KD, but it lost it's mode capability. That was my one and only purchase from KD.

carrot

Flashaholic
I'm sorry your host cost half as much as the drop in, may I recommend a Surefire 6P or a titanium Seraph? ;)
I think that would solve your problem nicely.