• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Is Haiku XP-G best/brightest EDC light?

Vaughn

Newly Enlightened
I would like someone to tell me in a way I could understand, skipping all the technical data, if the Haiku XP-G fits my needs. I want a light that has temp blinding light for semi defensive purposes and also has good throw (I just want the emphasis on the brightness). Would the Haiku XP-G work for me or would another one of Don's models be better. The size and style of the light are great. I want this for my EDC and I know his lights are the best quality. I'm just having trouble choosing from all the tech I'm reading in everyone's posts. I just don't understand about all the LED's and heads and all the rest. Also, how modular is that light? Can other parts be added to change the looks or function of the light? I've almost made up my mind to get one but I just want to be sure it's for me.

fyrstormer

Banned
It is his brightest light, yes. "Best" is a more subjective question, but all of his lights are high-quality. He sells three lights right now, the Haiku, the Sundrop, and the Sapphire, and between those three the Haiku is the one that will fit your needs the best. If you really plan to try to use the light defensively, you might want to get the 2xAA version instead of the 1xCR123 version, because it's bigger and heavier and longer, i.e. better for hitting people with. The light engine, reflector, lense, switch, and battery pack can all be replaced if necessary; there aren't any other light engines available right now that will fit because of the XP-G's smaller footprint, but given that all the major LED manufacturers are going in the direction of small-footprint emitters right now, it's a safe bet there will be other compatible light engines in the future.

Vaughn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks fyrstormer for the info. as far as using the light as a defensive weapon, I was thinking more of the temp blinding light than the flashlight itself. But that does bring up a point about the 2XAA pac. Does Don offer a 2X123 as an option for the Haiku?

carrot

Flashaholic
I would say it is the second best EDC of all time, the first being a different one of McGizmo's creations, but I won't bring that up again here.

It is certainly not the brightest EDC light you can buy, but it is the brightest of McGizmo's offerings.

Don does not offer a 2x123, nor is the Haiku capable of the higher voltage.

I have to be honest, it does not sound like you are looking for a McGizmo at all, and there are much better lights for the purposes you describe.

I do not want to dissuade you too hard from McGizmo as he truly is the best in the business but the tactical market is not his strength nor his interest, and there are plenty of lights that do focus on tactical usage, available for much less money as well.

carrot

Flashaholic
I meant, he does not offer a 2x123 version of the Haiku.

... wait, the Haiku uses the same driver as the Sundrop XP right? So then I stand corrected, the Haiku is capable of running on 2x123.

E: As Don says below and I originally said, the Haiku is not 2x123 capable.

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Note of clarification.

The 3S converter used in the Haiku's and SunDrops having 3 speed converters is not to be used with 2x123!! The max voltage for this converter is 5V. The 2xAA pak is fine for use with the 3S converters.

The SunDrop XP has a single speed converter (SOB) which is a buck converter and fine on 2x123.

Vaughn,
I agree with the others that there are better suited lights to meet your stated needs. I do thank you for your interest and should your needs expand or change..... :eek:

carrot

Flashaholic
Sorry Don, Scottiver's response got me really mixed up. I guess I was right the first time around and then I started thinking too hard... :thinking:

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vaughn,

IMO, the Haiku XP-G has one of the best beams out there and its size and features make it ideal for day to day carry. I carry one around with me 7 days a week.

As a light for use in self defense, I would say that the UI (user interface) is not suited for it for the following reasons:

1) The different levels are accessed by cycling the light on and off using the tailswitch. Not the best option when you may need to cycle through the different levels to the highest level in a hurry.

2) While the light does 'remember' the last level it was on (providing the light has been off for more than a half second or so) you will always have to make sure it is set to high after using it. This is the only way that you can ensure that the highest level will be come on the next time you need it.

I think you would be better served going with something that can give you instant access to the brightest setting with minimal manipulation.

Kgp

Newly Enlightened
Where you from in Michigan? I'm in Grand Rapids. If your close you can come check mine out?

Vaughn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to everyone for your input. Especially Don for weighing in with his very unbiased thoughts. Ive been reading a lot about his lights and I can see why he has the following he does. I would really like to have one of his lights in the future but, maybe for now it will be HDS or Novatac. I haven't totally ruled Haiku out yet, I'm not sure except that its probably one of those three.
I just might take the offer from Kgp some weekend and take a look in person. I live near Flint by the way so I'm about 2+ hours away, thanks for the offer!
Thanks again everyone!

Scottiver

Enlightened
When I first ordered my Haiku from Don I ask him if I could substitute the 1x123 tube for a 2x123 tube which he did, so, my Haiku did come with a 2x123 battery tube which I had hoped to use with a 17650 Li-ion battery but the battery didn't quite fit (too snug a fit) so I exchanged it back to Don for the original battery tube. I didn't know or at least don't remember that they couldn't be used with two batteries. :shrug:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first ordered my Haiku from Don I ask him if I could substitute the 1x123 tube for a 2x123 tube which he did, so, my Haiku did come with a 2x123 battery tube which I had hoped to use with a 17650 Li-ion battery but the battery didn't quite fit (too snug a fit)

I bought a 2-pak McClicky on the market place - the one I have "JUST" fits an AW 17670 - but the silver label had to be removed. For battery removal I need to swing the flashlight such that the battery moves out slightly (into my hand & not the floor if it pops right out). The trustfire 17670s are considerably thicker. Don doesn't promise the 2-pak will fit 17670s

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a 2-pak McClicky on the market place - the one I have "JUST" fits an AW 17670 - but the silver label had to be removed. For battery removal I need to swing the flashlight such that the battery moves out slightly (into my hand & not the floor if it pops right out). The trustfire 17670s are considerably thicker. Don doesn't promise the 2-pak will fit 17670s

+1. I didn't have to remove the label - it's a snug fit, but a slight flick of the wrist causes the battery to slide out about an inch - plenty to grab hold of. I, too, am using the AW17670.

fyrstormer

Banned
I wonder if there is sufficient thickness of material inside the 2x123 Clicky Paks that one of CPF's skilled lathesmen could shave the inner surface a bit to make more room -- say, .5-1mm wider diameter?

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW protected 17670 fits very very very tight in my McG Ti 2x123.
I'm sure you can find a skilled craftman or machine shop to do the job.
But I wouldn't want to go for it myself. :D

jblackwood

Enlightened
Three points of clarification and please keep in my I AM a proud owner of McGizmo lights, just not an Haiku lights (yet!):
1. Couldn't you switch both the reflector AND the light engine from an XP-G Haiku and an XR-E Haiku? Much simpler would be just to switch heads, but I'm asking for future replacement if necessary, as the OP is intending.

2. The OP also asks about furthest throwing. Even though the XP-G is brighter, wouldn't the XR-E Haiku meet that particular need better? It's still on sale, as far as I know, it's just been overshadowed by the XP-G Haiku. Since tint isn't specified on the XP-G (XR-E has a nicely specified tint) and I'm more of a throw monger, and my wider area lighting needs are met better by my Lunasol 20, I'd probably lean towards an XR-E Haiku choosing to carry a Lunasol with me as well. Let's face it, the only reason I'm waiting is so I can save up to get one of each! :thumbsup:

3. Ok, I took too long to write the first two and now totally forgot the last one, but I reserve the right to come back to this convo and add it in at a later date! I call it a geezer privilege. All my students say I'm old enough to invoke!
lovecpf

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
jblackwood,

To my eyes, the Haiku XP-G actually does a pretty decent job at both throw and flood at the same time. It is one of those things that you need to see in person as it is hard to capture the usefulness of the beam in pics.

Yes, it does not put as much focused light into the spot as other lights, and if that is important to your uses the XR-E would gain the edge. However, for distances up to 100 feet or so, I can't think of another light with a more useful beam pattern, including the LS-20.

joe1512

Enlightened
I really don't understand the exact purpose for the light. What do you realistically want to do with it?

Using a tiny flashlight for self-defense is idiocy, pure and simple. Unless it is pitch dark and you can blast hundreds and hundreds of lumens right in their face, not much will be accomplished.
Other than they will know where to shoot/stab/swing...

Assault bezels are worthless for the same reason. Youd want either a huge flashlight to use as a club, or a baseball bat or gun. You don't attack with the 2xAA light.

Even if using a flashlight did work and blinded the foe, you are almost guaranteed to be on the wrong mode or whatever. So the bad guy will be the recipient of your 'moonlight mode' (0.2 lumens). ;-)

If you are on the street, fumbling around to pull out a tiny flashlight is an even worse idea. That just gives you a false sense of security.

There are plenty of similar threads about the concept of flashlight defense, but please reconsider this use of your light.

So, apart from self defense, what do you want the light for? Is there a reason you want particularly high throw?

It is a good idea to get quality products, but without a better understanding of your needs, it seems a bit much to spend hundreds of dollars on a flashlight.

I personally have an itp A1 on my keychain. With 3 lumen, 30, and 200+ lumen modes, it covers the bases nicely and fits into my pocket easily with its 2.3 inch by 0.8 inch dimensions. It costs a whopping 32 bucks for the stainless steel version.(minus discount). But I don't need much throw either.

If you really wanna spend a lot of cash, consider one of the special keychain lights out there. Look up the "Drake" and "Draco", and under Reviews forum, check the sticky under Small Light Roundup. You can get some really cool titanium light that is pretty bright and uses CR2 batteries or the like for maximum compactness. Some of those small ones are works of art!

Last edited: