Flood and throw in a single light

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
I know that Maglites are known for being able to focus from flood to throw. But is there any way of preserving its focusing abilities and still put in a p7? I really love the ability to focus and unfocus, but I hate how dim they are. So are there any mods out there for a D sized Mag capable of focusing and unfocusing?

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nailbender is currently building me a XP-G 3C mag that will still be focusable. I don't know if it can be done with a P7, but it can't hurt to ask :)

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure, with this heatsink as a base you will surely be able to focus between throw and flood. But you won't get pure flood or pure throw. You will still have the ability to focus and unfocus in the same amount you are able with the stock Maglite.

rayman

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
Sure, with this heatsink as a base you will surely be able to focus between throw and flood. But you won't get pure flood or pure throw. You will still have the ability to focus and unfocus in the same amount you are able with the stock Maglite.

rayman

Witch one do I buy? I'm about to buy the D size heatsink from him, but how are you able to focus and unfocus? I thought it is glued into position.

A diffuser would be the easiest option, IMO.

Whats that?

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
A diffuser fits in front of a bezel of a light and diffuses the light.:thumbsup:

Heliotek has a great combination of flood and throw:

http://www.heliotekinc.com

Last time I checked their lights were 60 lumen, but it's possible they improved it since then.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Witch one do I buy? I'm about to buy the D size heatsink from him, but how are you able to focus and unfocus? I thought it is glued into position.

Yes, you have to buy that one for the D Maglite. And you have to uncam the reflector like in this thread. It's a pretty easy but very useful.

rayman