Whats your thoughts on the fenix PD20?

MWAG68

Newly Enlightened
I'm still shopping around trying to get the most for my money. If you have one please post your thoughts.

joshth09

Newly Enlightened
Its nice...I think. I had a PD30 and I believe the PD20 is just the single 123 version. I used to edc 2x123 lights now I moved on to single 123's so IMO I'd keep looking.

If you be a bit more specific on what your looking for I might be able to help more. But As far as the fenix goes I dont like the UI, I dont need a strobe or SOS in a small edc size light. I have tried several now and I landed on the Incendio V3 and I think thats where Im gonna stay. 3 simple modes and a better UI.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
I think it's just OK now. Several other lights have come out that I feel surpass it. One big problem I personally have is it doesn't run correctly on a RCR123 rechargeable. Low doesn't work with the higher voltage rechargeable battery. Check out the lights from Quark and if you wait a little longer, EagleTac is coming out with a similar style and sized lights with a reported 300 lumens out the front.

Mnementh

Newly Enlightened
I just got mine today, and opened the package tonight! Thus far I love it! I am still a newbie at the better flashlights, though, so I'm likely easily impressed. :)

Good thoughts, based on having had it out of the box for only 20 minutes:

• UI is very good - The modes run Low, Medium, High as I really like. (I don't mind M/L/H, but prefer it in L/M/H order.) The SOS in the normal mode and the strobe in the turbo mode I won't likely use very much, but they're at the end of the power cycle, so they don't get used unless you want them.
  • Usable levels - The low is low enough that you won't burn your eyes out using it for close up work. The Medium is good for anything you'd need it for in the house. The High is good for anything outdoors. The Turbo is great for impressing your friends and shorting out the retinas of the annoying coworker who thinks his 9 LED 2 for $5 generic light is bright enough to impress you. :grin2:
Bad or so-so thoughts, based on the same:

• None, really. The belt pouch that comes with it isn't going to knock my socks off, but I'm not going to use it anyway, so I'm not complaining.
  • If you buy the CR123 batteries it uses in the grocery store, be prepared for a wallet draining experience! They can run $9-$15 for a pack of two. You can buy them online, though, for much less. Search around here, and you should find some good options. As Painful Chafe said above, rechargeables reportedly don't work well in it, so I'd recommend quality primaries.
I'm sure those who have had one longer than 20 minutes could give you a better rundown of it, but from the reviews I've read, and my "just turned it on" first impression, it's a great little light!

Chauncey Gardner

Enlightened
Nice light, but the ergonomics and output of the Quark 123 seem better to me in the same size range. Plus you can use rechargeable liion's.
I have used them in the Fenix, but you are limited to just one level and it decreases the utility of the light.

No complaints at all with my Fenix, just wanted a change & upgraded to the ti quark.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand why people **** and moan about lights not running correctly on rechargeable batteries when said lights aren't meant to do so! Fenix clearly states that these lights are not to be used with rechargeable batteries yet somehow people still buy them with the intention of doing so then give bad reviews when they don't work right???

Anyway, rant off! I say if your looking at the PD20 go for it. It's worth the price. The light is really nothing special as far as UI or lumens goes, though 190 max lumens is more than one usually ever needs for EDC lights. The newer version seems to not throw as far as the earlier Cree Q5 but in reality it does. It's just that the beam offers more spill. The lights' build is stout IMO. I was skeptical about the clip but it is very rigid and functional. I think it would be better if the low were lower but it's pretty good. Run times seem to be above average. Overall I think the PD20 is a pretty decent, tough and easy to use EDC light for someone that is not interested in running rechargeable batteries. So yea! It's worth it IMO!

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
I concur with Painful Chafe' comments above. I own the PD20 and it is a nice enough light, but I would trade it for the Quark 123 in a heartbeat for two reasons: (1) I have found the Quark's "moon mode" (which the Fenix lacks) to be extremely useful, and (2) the Quark will run perfectly on RCR123's; the Fenix will not. Size, build quality, beam quality, output, and UI are otherwise comparable. By my calculus, this makes the Quark a better bargain.

RSW

Newly Enlightened
Interesting that you posted the question today. I just received one today and I really like it. I purchased it for EDC along with an ITP keychain light.

The UI is easy to understand, the extra modes (SOS/strobe) don't bother me, even though I have no need for them. The tint is great and it is really bright.

All in all, I think it was a great value.

This is my 1st post and I came here looking for a keychain light. Came away with a new hobby and a couple of great lights to start with. :)

Last edited:

Mike@PTS

Enlightened
The Fenix PD20 has been my EDC since the first model (P2D) was released. I've purchased other lights thinking I'll like them better but I always go back to the Fenix PD20.

1. It's very easy to start on high or low with a simple UI, probably the best so far IMO!
2. Very bright for it's size!
3. Small enough to fit easily into any pocket!
4. Great conversation piece!
5. Nine out of ten people are amazed by the output!

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I concur with Painful Chafe' comments above. I own the PD20 and it is a nice enough light, but I would trade it for the Quark 123 in a heartbeat for two reasons: (1) I have found the Quark's "moon mode" (which the Fenix lacks) to be extremely useful, and (2) the Quark will run perfectly on RCR123's; the Fenix will not. Size, build quality, beam quality, output, and UI are otherwise comparable. By my calculus, this makes the Quark a better bargain.

I agree! The PD20 is a good enough light but a Quark is just that much better.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
I don't understand why people **** and moan about lights not running correctly on rechargeable batteries when said lights aren't meant to do so! Fenix clearly states that these lights are not to be used with rechargeable batteries yet somehow people still buy them with the intention of doing so then give bad reviews when they don't work right?IMO!

I wasn't giving it a bad review. I was stating what the light isn't capable of. It is a great light for what it is designed for. But, I think most people who are going to use it as a EDC will not want the expense of using primaries only. This is why the PD20 isn't a big seller but the Quark 123 is. I think most people would agree that more battery options are better.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
I've had a PD20 for a while now and find it a very nice size for slipping into a pocket.

I originally bought it to replace my P3D for the pocket EDC when wearing trousers with pockets that aren't large enough to fit a 2x123 light in. You can expect it to solidly perform how Fenix states it will perform.

It has a fairly deep reflector so it's not as floody as say the P3D though.

I've replaced both lights with a Surefire E1L as my main EDC light now however but there's nothing wrong with the PD20.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't giving it a bad review. I was stating what the light isn't capable of. It is a great light for what it is designed for. But, I think most people who are going to use it as a EDC will not want the expense of using primaries only. This is why the PD20 isn't a big seller but the Quark 123 is. I think most people would agree that more battery options are better.

10-4! I am in agreement that more options is better. :thumbsup:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I passed on the PD20 in favor of the Quark 1XCR123.I have a couple P2Ds and they are great lights but I think the Quark offers more even if you are sticking with primaries.The Quark offers all the options of the PD20 in a similar UI plus a couple more and the quality is as good or better than any of my Fenix lights so I have no reservations there either.The main advantage Fenix has is a longer track record but realistically they have only been around a few years themselves.