My RA Clicky Wont Respond to Button Presses, getting resolved

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
HELP!

I had pulled it out my pocket and it was turned on (raised button) when I tried turning ti off the switch wouldnt respond to any presses, I had to unscrew the battery compartment and wait 60 seconds, screwed it back together and it worked fine.

A few hours later I picked it up and clicked the button... nothing eh?

I took it apart and cleaned all the contacts and put a new battery in, screwed it together it lit up for the 7 seconds then went out like its meant to but it still wouldnt respond to button presses?

Anyone ever had this issue? I have emailed Henry about it I hope he doesnt think Im just after a new flush button because a few days ago I emailed him about them and asked him if he could ship it any cheaper than $40 to the UK.

Last edited:

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My RA Clicky Wont Respond to Button Presses

HELP!

I thought these were meant to be top class lights built to last and be super reliable.
they are but as w/ anything, "shizz" happens:grin2: Let Henry know by sending him an email or giving him a call and he will gladly take a look at it.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ahh! Whats going on here, its working now.

I set it down on my desk giving up hope with no battery in it, decided to give it one more try so stuck a new primary cell in and it fired right up...???

What is going on, I had already left it a few minutes without a battery to give it plenty of time to reset now it works, what am I going to tell Henry when he gets back to me. I dont feel comfortable in relying on this light with its mood swings jsut yet, I hope Henry can help.

carrot

Flashaholic

Don't worry, Henry will make sure you're happy. Henry's one of the good guys.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for all your reassuring words guys.

But am I the only one to have this intermittent problem???

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have tried several fully charged AW RCR123 and fresh Japanesse made Panasonic CR123 which I have used for years and have a stock pile of.

DM51

Flashaholic

When you left the battery out and set it aside for >60 seconds, that reset it. Not sure what happened the second time, but maybe you had a bad cell.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast

The second time I had it apart I waited more than 60 seconds and used the same cell it had in it when it was working, I checked all cells after with a VM and all were good voltages.

Still dont understand why it got stuck switched on when I took it out my pocket, I have had a similair problem with Novatacs where if I leave the light on for an extended period it wont respond to button presses.

DM51

Flashaholic

A new CR123A primary will be ~3.25V; a cell that is virtually empty may still read ~3.0V. Just a possibility...

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened

$13 flat rate box by USPS International Priority Mail

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast

@ yucca_patrol what?

I was using AW's RCR123 all reading above 4 volts and the fresh cr123 cell read 3.22 out the packet so I dont think it is the batteries, im still confused:wtf:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast

metal, oxidization, solder, heat, assembly, pcbs, quality control etc etc

ra lights are THE 'top shelf'

if its brand new contact henry, he will do you right,

if its used, anyone might have 'tweaked' it.

a squirt of deoxit has fixed many of my 'glitchy' electronics.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RGD9PK/?tag=cpf0b6-20

you own a great light......

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used deoxit when I got the light and its not brand new, the person before me said he only had it a few weeks and decided he didnt like it, Im assuming he didnt 'tweak' it. Certainly looks clean.

If it happens again and Henry doesnt cover it anymore because im not the original owner I will prob have to pay for parts to get it fixed right, funny thing is I traded it for a HDS U60.

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast

@ yucca_patrol what?

:D It was an indirect way of saying possibly ship it to Henry.

I have had my Clicky act mysterious but in my case it was because of the battery. Not saying its your case but it was for mine. Apparently the contact spring in the battery tube was applying to much pressure for the thin walled AW cell. But anyhoot, Henry will straighten things out (no matter the owner). A good brand, a good light, and good service.:thumbsup:

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sending it away is the last resort, will see if it happens again.

Has anyone noticed when they take the head off and look in the back at the gold electrical contact ring around the perimeter if its worn where the little wire from the battery tube rubs it. Mine has rubbed all the gold off and is through to a silver colour, how durable is this contact, I have cleaned it with a cotton bud and a little deoxit.