Which MCE or SST-50? 2x18650 configuration

hazna

Enlightened
To supplement my growing collection of flashlights, I'm looking at getting a larger flashlight that offers a relatively high output of lumens. I'm looking for something in the MCE, P7 or SST-50 output... something that will really light up a large area and have a decent amount of throw. I'm after a balance of throw and flood (perhaps the MCE's are better for this?). Size is not a major issue for me, and I prefer something larger if it offers better runtime. For this reason I'm leaning towards lights in the 2x18650 or 4xCR123 configuration. Cost wise I'd prefer it to be under $180 shipped internationally, the cheaper the better.

Here are some candidates I have considered, and the cheapest price I have found, delivered to me:

TK30 - $135 shipped from ebay seller - Solid light, overall good report and good price. ~550 OTF lumens according to bigchelis's measurements. Highly likely candidate, unless someone can tell me otherwise.

Tactical HID's MCE dive light - $125 shipped from cpfmarketplace/ $95 shipped from HK dealers - Good price. Reported to be waterproof, so could take it swimming or diving. Rotational switch. Not sure about this, but it looks like a rebranded ultrafire/?fire light, which makes me question build quality and the truth of the claims. I have not yet seen any reviews, beamshots or tests to confirm (a)'waterproofness' (b)beam quality (c)true lumen output
More information: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=215107
Potentially a good candidate, if truely waterproof and the lumens rating are not over-exaggerated.

Xtar tz50 (SST-50) - $100 shipped from jake25 at cpfmarketplace - Good price for an SST-50. Good regulation. True lumen output relatively low, ~350-400 according to bigchelis's tests.

Thrunite catapult - ~$160 shipped from a local dealer - I haven't have a chance to go through all the threads on the catapult, but this seems more of a thrower, so it might not be for me. Also reports of liquid leaking from the unit, has me slightly concerned.

Jetbeam M2S - ~$160 shipped from an ebay seller - Manufacture claim's of 750 lumen OTF lumens, but only for 3 minutes before it drops to 450 OTF lumens. I'm assuming this is more of a thrower? Perhaps its not the best for me, but I've always wanted to try a Jetbeam. There are some people who swear by the build quality.

Eagletac M2SC4 - $160 shipped - Comes with the option of a neutral MCE. Comes with a free diffuser so it can become and flood light if needed. Rotational switch. Previous issues with 'waterproofness' that now appear resolved. People give mixed reports on build quality. Undecided whether I like the shape/design.

Olight m30 - ~$140-145 shipped - relatively compact size. Comes with a diffuser. Unfortunately has PWM on the lower modes. Personally I'm not a fan of the 'strike bezel'.

Overall at the moment, I'm leaning towards the Fenix tk30. Second place candidate, I'm considering the eagletac m2sc4 or the jetbeam m2s. I would definitely consider the tactical HID dive light, if lumens output are not over-exaggerated and the 'waterproofness' is confirmed.

What do you think... any other candidates?

Last edited:

pounder

Newly Enlightened
i'm in the same boat as you and i'm going with the solarforce masterpiece..wife won't allow me to go over a certain price and it's the one that fits the best..should do me well enough..i'm getting it for 115$ with 2 protected batteries, charger, sling, case, holster including shipping..kind of hard to beat for the price..

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
I am also in the market for something in the TK30 ballpark. Consequently, I can't wait to see what other CPF'rs recommend. :popcorn:

OKWalker

Newly Enlightened
The only light in your list that I have experience with is the Catapult, and I can say that it is all thrower and probably not the light for you based on your needs. I have seen no evidence of leaking thermal grease or any other problems.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Go for a reputable brand, first time, every time.
There are a couple of lights you listed that I personally would avoid. The first is Xtar. It's a blatant copy of Olight's tactical lights, and a bad copy at that. The second would be tactical HID, don't ask me why but both of them lights (Xtar and Tactical HID) look dodgy to me.
Consider the Olight M30, you will get max lumens with or without the extender. It's a class act light IMHO.

hazna

Enlightened
actually the olight m30 is not a bad contender at all. Missed it out of my list for reason... I guess I've forgotten about it because it's been out for sometime. Some places don't seem to have it in stock anymore, either. Here are some of my thoughts about the olight:

Olight m30 - ~$140-145 shipped - relatively compact size. Comes with a diffuser. Unfortunately has PWM on the lower modes. Personally I'm not a fan of the 'strike bezel'.

Haven't really noticed the solarforce masterpiece, before. It seems relatively cheap.

Did a bit more reading on the jetbeam m2s. There seems to be some UI quirks that need to be fixed. I would not be considering the jetbeam m2s anymore.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for Masterpiece. Very decent light - bright, good throw, runtime and regulation (much better than Olight M30), nice quality, reasonable price.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light that you are describing as Tactical HID MCE DIve light is available for $95 with free shippping at DX under the name Cree Dive Light MC-E.

It puts out around 500 lumens I'd say. To make it fully dive worth you need to shorter the spring by one coil. It's my primary dive light and is a good deal.

It has a two hour burn time on high and has decent throw for an MC-E. Better than the P7 from reviews.

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
Just had to suggest one other option since i dont see you have considered it.

I love my Epsilon P72. Its an amazing value in a bright *** light in my opinion.

Maybe give it a looksie! You can do what i did and save even more and get the "scratched" version for cheaper. Mine was not scratched noticeably at all! Compared at 700-900 Lumen

Here is the scratched version on sale:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?p=2294425#post2294425

Here is the review and comparison to some of the ones you have listed:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/217560

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/237941

More searching for Epsilon will show the many other comparisons of this light with beamshots. I think its a very under rated, great performing light!

MSRP was like $179 or $149 for CPF members... I believe the flawed or "scratched" version can be found for $79 !

Last edited:

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hazna.....if your idea of a "thrower" is an older R2 with a narrow beam, then you may want to look at the beam of an SST-50 before you rule out the "throwers" such as the Catapult. The SST-50 lights are "floods" compared to the older XR-E R2 flashlights. The Catapult is a hell of a thrower but it still makes a pretty fat beam compared to older lights from a year ago or more. And thats with a SMO reflector. I haven't seen one with an OP, but that should be a great light.

Last edited:

hazna

Enlightened
The light that you are describing as Tactical HID MCE DIve light is available for $95 with free shippping at DX under the name Cree Dive Light MC-E.

It puts out around 500 lumens I'd say. To make it fully dive worth you need to shorter the spring by one coil. It's my primary dive light and is a good deal.

It has a two hour burn time on high and has decent throw for an MC-E. Better than the P7 from reviews.

Yeah I've just found it on DX, the $95 price tag (with charger and batteries) makes it even more attractive. However I don't like the idea of needing to fiddle around with it to make it waterproof. I don't have any plans to go night time diving or swimming, so I might just stick a more reputable brand.

Probably tossing up between the fenix tk30 and olight m30 at this stage. If i could find the eagletac for a cheaper price shipped, I would consider it too.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I've just found it on DX, the $95 price tag (with charger and batteries) makes it even more attractive. However I don't like the idea of needing to fiddle around with it to make it waterproof. I don't have any plans to go night time diving or swimming, so I might just stick a more reputable brand.

Probably tossing up between the fenix tk30 and olight m30 at this stage. If i could find the eagletac for a cheaper price shipped, I would consider it too.

I hear you, however, I'll just point out the obvious...if you're not going diving with it it's plenty waterproof right out of the box even without messing with the spring for normal purposes.

The P7 version is only $85 and if you consider that the batteries and battery charger are worth $16 you're only paying $69 for a light that is at least 500 OTF lumens.

The only thing I don't care for is the attack bezel and the external heat fins but since I use it as a dive light it's hundreds of dollars cheaper than my other options.

hazna

Enlightened
I've had a couple other thoughts... Does the tk30 or m30 have parasitic drain. How well do either of these tailstand? I would assume tk30 would be more top head and more prone to falling?

gilly

Enlightened
I think one light that deserves to be on your list is the Jetbeam M1X. Great throw but also lights up a large area. As you mentioned it has top-notch build quality and has a great UI. Its been out awhile and has a proven track record.

hazna

Enlightened
I think one light that deserves to be on your list is the Jetbeam M1X. Great throw but also lights up a large area. As you mentioned it has top-notch build quality and has a great UI. Its been out awhile and has a proven track record.

I have to say I initially wrote off the jetbeam m1x, because i thought it would be too much of a thrower. Also I did not like that it only has two modes. Am I correct it saying the low mode is IBS adjustable? This does make it more attractive. It can also be bought ~$145 shipped from hk dealers

forexer

Newly Enlightened
For me either the m2c4 or catapult. I think real lumens are so much more important than the nominal lumens the manufacturer states.

Going to get either one by this year ended! Hopefully there wil be a christmas sale :twothumbs

Forexer

gnicky11

Newly Enlightened
I have to say I initially wrote off the jetbeam m1x, because i thought it would be too much of a thrower. Also I did not like that it only has two modes. Am I correct it saying the low mode is IBS adjustable? This does make it more attractive. It can also be bought ~$145 shipped from hk dealers

After much CPF reading, I ordered the M1X. It will be my third Jetbeam with the programmable IBS interface (Jet III M & ST). One mode is always full power, the second is programmable from low-low to high or a bunch of strobe modes. I like the "tactical" interface where you can select the mode blind before you turn it on. There are some great reviews here and a nice video review on GoingGear that you may want to watch.

gilly

Enlightened

Yes, the user-defined mode is IBS adjustable. I think you'd really like the M1X...