Single cell cr123 led upgrade?

offroadmick

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought a Romisen rc-a4 with a q3 led and wish to upgrade the led. I'm a newbie here and after reading many modding posts it seems i might need a new regulater or pill. It's quite complicated reading through all the facts, figures and amp ratings!:thinking:

would changing just the led on the original pill work or make a difference??
I have a P60 r2 dropin i can use the emitter from.
The q3 only puts out about 80-90 lumens (compared to my pd3 on mid mode its a little less bright). Would bypassing the regulater and direct driving it make it brighter?

I'm not worried about run time and dont want to start using rechargables.(yet!)

The pill from my p60 drop in srews into the A4 reflector but won't work becase it made for 6v not 3v. Maybe a lower voltage pill would be the way to go?? Any suggestions?

Any help would be great but dont get to technical as its still all new to me!:thinking:

offroadmick

Newly Enlightened
Thaks carrot, i'll try it and then post the results... Do you think an R2 would be brighter than the Q3 on the same pill...?
Its not the most ambitious project but its my first one and i'm finding it all very intersting.

I noticed that some guys have used an MC-E emmiter in a single cell light for amazing output , with a short run time. May sound like a stupid question, but what is the brightest emmiter or pill that will run on a primary cr123? I think i'm right in saying you need a high ampage rechargable to run an emmiter like that but i wanna stick to 'non' rechargables.

Also, being in the u.k can you suggest any good suppliers for parts i might need in the future?

carrot

Flashaholic
It will be visibly brighter.

It is generally considered a waste to put an MC-E in a single cell light, more so on a primary because you can't push the MC-E hard enough. That is why the majority of MC-E lights on the market are three-cell and four-cell lights.

offroadmick

Newly Enlightened
All done! It was easier than i thought... Got some thermal paste and swapped and soldered the emitters.

I now have an R2 A4 which is a little brighter and a warm tint ultrafire!:naughty:

Now i want to swap the driver running the R2 to give maximum output...

Single CR123 and an R2, i could get 200L OTF like a nitecore extreme...:twothumbs But which driver should i use...???:confused: