Fenix LD20 old or new?

AsianInvasion

Newly Enlightened
So im fairly new here and new to LED flashlights.

I just ordered the Fenix LD20 flashlight on amazon.com a few weeks back
(The 180 lumens one) for $50 and im still waiting for my package to arrive. But recently i just saw that Fenix released a new LD20 (R4) with the higher lumen rating of 205 lumens which will be available to buy on amazon.com on March 22th for $60. Will there be a big difference between the 180 Lumens and the 205 Lumens and is that worth to pay the extra $10 for that? I dont know if i should just keep the older LD20 with the 180 lumens when it comes in the mail or return it and get the newer LD20. What do u guys think?

headophile

Enlightened
i personally wouldn't trade my ld20 xp-e q5 for the newer xp-g r4 model. i like the tighter but not too narrow beam on mine. the r4 version will have a broader beam.

as for the 25 lumen difference, it would be hardly noticeable. the one you ordered might even appear brighter to your eyes because its hotspot will probably be brighter.

it depends on which beam profile will suit your purpose more.

hope this helps.

Last edited:

vali

Enlightened

I just ordered the Fenix LD20 flashlight on amazon.com a few weeks back
(The 180 lumens one) for $50 and im still waiting for my package to arrive. But recently i just saw that Fenix released a new LD20 (R4) with the higher lumen rating of 205 lumens which will be available to buy on amazon.com on March 22th for $60. Will there be a big difference between the 180 Lumens and the 205 Lumens and is that worth to pay the extra $10 for that? I dont know if i should just keep the older LD20 with the 180 lumens when it comes in the mail or return it and get the newer LD20. What do u guys think?

Numbers say they are brighter, but in the real world you need a big boost in brightness to be perceived as "brighter" with human eyes. The R4 will probably be more floody than the old one and with less rings in the beam.

almach1

Newly Enlightened
Numbers say they are brighter, but in the real world you need a big boost in brightness to be perceived as "brighter" with human eyes. The R4 will probably be more floody than the old one and with less rings in the beam.
I'm considering this switch just because the rings. I've been spoiled with perfect ring free beam(tk40, tk10,g2).

Whenever I use the q5 ld20 I get pissed.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
My LD20 Q5 doesn't have a hint of rings. It has a very light orange peel reflector, ad has a beautiful beam pattern.

Photar

Newly Enlightened

I dont know if i should just keep the older LD20 with the 180 lumens when it comes in the mail or return it and get the newer LD20. What do u guys think?

Newer is not always better. I have the L2D Q5 and LD20 R4. The LD20 R4 has a wide and very nice beam profile, even though it's using a smooth reflector. The LD20 Q5 apparently produces more "maximum" lumens according to this site http://www.light-reviews.com/fenix_ld20/. To tell you the truth, and as others have mentioned, the difference in light output is hard to distinguish from 180 to 205 lumens. The LD20 Q5 might also appear brighter because of its tighter beam.

There are other things to take into consideration unless all you care about is light output. For me, it's a must that the flashlight can tail stand and do it well (I'm disappointed with the newly designed tail cap on the new LD range from Fenix - tail standing ability has been severely compromised).

I'm in fact going to get the older LD20 Q5 and use the body of an L2D because the threads are compatible (you can't do this with the newer LD10/20s - i.e. - the version with the clip - because of the different threads). I hope Fenix makes available for purchase an L1D/L2D-type tail cap or otherwise I will need to give future LDs a miss.

You have probably already got your light by now, but I hope this helps others in deciding which Fenix LD range is best for them (I will try posting some beamshots later in this thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/265269 comparing the L2D Q5, LD20 Q5 and LD20 R4).

Last edited:

fannin

Enlightened
the real difference is better runtime for the xpg-r4 vs the q5, about 15-20 mins longer on turbo than the q5 version which is already outstanding for runtime compared to it's competitors

BWX

Enlightened
sweet, I'm gonna get the new R4 with bigger hotspot and longer runtimes. -mainly for regular flashlight use, but I'm also going to get that bicycle handle bar mount and use it as 'one of' my bike lights.