Just bought this for $2.25 at Walmart. WOW!!!

LightHearted

Enlightened
With the Xenon bulb from RS it is, as poeple have mentioned, brighter than a Tec 40
icon14.gif
. It doesn't look very water resistant though. Thanks for the bright idea guys!

BTW, the problems I was having with my LX got worse. Tried removing and replacing the bulb but didn't make a difference. Darn thing kept flickering on and off, so I returned it and ended up ordering a Princeton Tec Surge (only $22.99!!) and a Infinity Ultra (only $15.99!!) from Texas Tactical Supply. Can't wait till they arive. They didn't have the CMG Reactor. Oh well. Another time. Anyone know of the cheapest price on the Reactor?

Rayovac.jpg

Ken

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Lux Luthor:
It looks like you're using XPR103. This will probably blow! You want KPR103, the Krypton one instead.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">At Radio Shack, they have little ratings on the placards to where their bulbs go. I distinctly remember that the XPR103 had a higher amperage rating than the KPR103...

If my memory is faulty, let me know.

I settled on this bulb after sitting one night in the dark, swapping bulbs for 30 minutes. I tried the RS KPR103, Maglite Krypton Star, and a couple others. I settled on the XPR103 as having the best color/beam/brightness combination. Not necessarily the best at each, but the best overall.

Just remember, this is still just a $1.50 bulb in a $3.00 light. Not a SureFire, but definitely a GREAT bang for the buck. Enjoy.

Mark

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one of these and really liked it!

But...the dang switch stopped working (I still can't figure out why exactly). If it will keep working, the 4 AA, compact form factor and "takes any PR bulb" make this sort of thing a great flashlight to experiment with!

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
XPR103 is a 3-cell bulb (i.e. 3.6V) If those 4AA are in series, then you really should be using XP104 i.e. 4.8V bulb. Otherwise, you will have extremely BRIGHT light but with very short runtime.

- Vikas

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
If he is anything like me, a short runtime doesn't mean anything that bad.

I tried XPR103s in 4AA stuff, but have settled on KPR103s as just fine and bright.

I experimented last night with 4 123 Liths and a Dewalt 9.6v bulb, and a 6 Cell mag bulb. I got decent brightness but I used the wrong test subject (a 2D Mag with a messed up cam on back of the reflector) to get a good beam.

Who am I fooling anyway. I couldn't afford to feed it 123s all the time anyway.

You wanna talk short runtime? I got a new Mag Xenon Star bulb last night. A 2D bulb. I put it in the 3C modded Mag. FLASH. Dead. $3.47 down the drain.

I have settled on 4AA lights with KPR103s, or 3 or 4Cs driving whatever bulb came stock in any given light as giving the best of all worlds.

I'm still gonna look for one of these cheap Rayovacs next time at Wallyworld!!!

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did it! Took a trip to two different Wal-Marts but found one of these lights. Went to RS and got the KPR 103. Got home, installed, assembled, impressed! I can't believe how bright it is (fresh batts). Compared it to my 3D cell Mag. The Rayovac was able to reach out just as far. Yes there is a dead spot in the beam, but you need to target it at an object at least7 of more yards away to see it. Up close it is wonderful. The batts in my Mag are not fresh, but not that old either. in the room on a wall the spots are both white and about the same brightness when I open the Mag's beam to the same size as the Ray's. outdoors, I had to focus the Mag to it's tightest to get it as bright as the Ray at the same distance. Shone them on a wooden privacy fence about 50 yds away. the Ray had a bright white spot at 50 that was big and white. I love this thing, and so small and compact, easy to carry with. Great for applications that I'd use for the Mag, though I'm sure it won't last as long battery wise, anyone here know how long it should last as compatred to the Mag?

I tried a couple of things concerning the beam/hot spot. the lens has ridges formed into it. A circle in the center and 4 cross hair like lines. Tried flipping the lens backwards, made the dark spot bigger. Removed lens completely, made the spot smaller, but nice and even. How long will this bulb last?

Thanks to KLM for turning us on to this light, thanks to Playboy for the inspiration to try it and similar types of lights out. this is one good performer that I won't cry over if it gets broken or lost or loaned out and abused.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
You can make some modification to the beam with a pair of needlenose pliers.

I bend the flange of the bulb here and there to center up bulbs. I also use it to move bulbs in or out slightly to focus the beam.

I haven't been to Wallyworld again yet, but I will!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Told ya so. SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!!

Wallyworld last night. Came away with some needed personal stuff and a Brinkmann Maxstar Lantern (7.33) and found the Rayovac 4AA light up by the registers (2.37 or 2.79 or 2.97 - darn brain!)

As to the Brinkmann... why? I have some other lanterns which are just fine. It's this dang flashaholicism!!! It sports a decent beam but a real weird way to change focus.

The R 4AA was pretty good as it came, but after trying about 3 or 4 different KPR103s I found one that does a fairly good pretty bright beam.

Somebody PLEASE stop me....

ReconTech

Newly Enlightened
The XPR104 (Cat no. 272-1180) is rated at 2.4 volts, 490mA "for 2 AA batteries").

The KPR104 (Cat no. 272-1169) is rated at 2.33 volts, 480mA.

So does this make it just fine to use the XPR104 where a KPR104 is designed to go? I bought a rayovac from walmart, a 2AA and it had a KPR104, so I put a XPR104 in it, and got a slight performance increase.

Originally posted by Vikas Sontakke:
XPR103 is a 3-cell bulb (i.e. 3.6V) If those 4AA are in series, then you really should be using XP104 i.e. 4.8V bulb.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
As long as you drive it, but don't overdrive it...

ie: 2AAs driving a KPR104 or XPR104 then go for it!

But if you are going to overdrive stick with Krypton.

I have flashed a couple Halogens, several Xenons, and my fair share of KPRs, but mostly when I flashed H or X it was with one too many cells.

ReconTech

Newly Enlightened
So the 4AA rayovac camper with the XPR103 is ok then? Thats what I thought but got confused when the 123s entered the thread.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I look forward to seeing the xenon Magnum Stars, as I've never been all that impressed with the old ones.

It looks like Radio Shack's KPR-102 is nonstandard with its 900mA current rating, since I just bought Eveready (Phillips) and RayOVac (Japanese - INAI I think) KPR-102s and they both have .7 or .75 printed on them, and draw current accordingly.

I guess KPR-101s are not as common, so I don't know if .6A is the norm...Ever & Rayo sell only the 104 it seems (.5A).

--

I did find the flashlight this thread is about at the 'Mart and it's stunningly brighter than other 4AA lights with the same 4.8V .75A KPR ??? (114?) in them. The worst example appears to be my Garrity Steel-Beam, which runs yellowy with any bulb and draws .65A through the same bulb that is .75A normally (with fresh NiMHs).

While I was there I picked up some of the 2V 1.2A lamps RayOVac sells for their lead-acid flashlights, to try with my 2AA NiMH lights. Well, it's pretty bright, but started to cook anything I tried it in. May be time to get a TEC-20.

Then again, while very hot, it didn't seem brighter than my 2C Mag, with KPR-102, and fresh alkalines.

BTW, I found that the bulb in both my 2C mags are "defective", in that they run too yellow for the voltage. I thought it was just that C cells somehow weren't powerful enough (despite normal current measurements). Nope. Bad bulbs.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Velcro,

I have some bulbs that I know are Mag Krypton that are shaped just like Rayovac, Eveready, Radio Shack etc.

My newest "Magnum Star" is straight sided, dome topped, rather slim and kinda tall.

The others may be "White Star" but are Krypton as well.

I will see about getting my digital back tonight and getting some pics.