"Parkerized" Maglite finish?

U

user1016

Hi there guys.

I was looking at my Maglites today and was trying to figure out why the finishes were different on each one.

Most Maglites I buy have a shiny reflective black finish.

However the cheap one I bought sealed in plastic from Big-W for $50 (came with a Mini Maglite as well), came with a nice incredibly smooth and non-reflective "parkerized" black finish (as did the Mini).

I've taken a photo to show you what I mean:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/Slik_Power/DSC01650.jpg

On the bottom is my shiny 4D, the top is the non-reflective 3D.

Does anyone know where I can buy more of these?

american

Enlightened
i think ive seen those before years ago. but there werent many of em on the rack behind the normal black mini mags

U

user1016

Was there anything on the packaging indicating that it was a special edition?

It definitely has that duller HA look to it.

It was nothing special. I purchased it at Big-W in Australia, it cost $50 and came with a Maglite 3D, Maglite Mini, 2 x AA Durcall batteries, and 3 x Duracell batteries, and two mounting brackets.

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/832/maglite3d.jpg

VERY similar to this except the Maglites were black, and did not have the "Red Cross America" sticker on them, and the batteries were Duracells. I sold a tonne of them on ebay Australia last year until Big-W replaced them with disgusting D cell Energizer torches that were barely capable of more than about 20 lumens despite their enormous size.

mrartillery

Enlightened
Odd... from some quick reading, "parkerizing" can only be done to Ferrous metals. You don't have a steel Maglite, do you?

Thats true i didnt even think of that until just now. :thinking:

I have a friend who does powder coating for a living and he has done some parts for my project truck in flat black like this, it turns out really great! Ive been tempted a time or two to have a light powder coated i just wonder about the thickness of the powder being a issue on the knurling. Ive also been tempted a time or two myself to start Duracoating, which wouldnt be as thick as powder but would have close to the same result as far as durability is concerned.

U

user1016

I hope you guys can find out. I'm tempted to call a Maglite number and ask as they're VERY NICE.

Been driving from Big-W and Kmart to Big-W and Kmart all day looking for more, none yet!

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you still have the packaging? If so, there should be some type of Mag Model #, something like this: S3D016, or maybe a Mag Item # such as 102-00-250.

Last edited:
U

user1016

Do you still have the packaging? If so, there should be some type of Mag Model #, something like this: S3D016, or maybe a Mag Item # such as 102-00-250.

I do at home yeah, I'll be sure to check it out when I get home.

U

user1016

How much do you want for the one you have? :whistle:

It may be hard to find but I'd sell it for not a dollar more than what I paid for it ($50 AUD). I'll find out what model it is and make some inquiries first to see if I can locate more, because I'd love to get some available for people on CPF. Everyone who's seen mine so far (in person etc) loves them.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, no fair! Maglites are made about 60 miles away from where I'm at, yet I've never seen anything like that! I want one! That flat black really looks awesome. It's pretty hip in the automobile scene, these days, too.

U

user1016

Hi James

I collect 3-D Maglites, and would like very much to have one also and i would for sure pay you for time and trouble, thanks, Mac

Hey, no fair! Maglites are made about 60 miles away from where I'm at, yet I've never seen anything like that! I want one! That flat black really looks awesome. It's pretty hip in the automobile scene, these days, too.

Don't worry guys, I will find out how to acquire more of these!