100%+ Customs duties for LEDs? What?

photonwave

Newly Enlightened
So I called UPS to get a quote on some LEDs I wanted to import from China. Declaration value is about $1,000, shipping value + insurance was like $500. Weight, 7.8kg. They 'estimated' a customs duty of $2,300. Seriously? I've never imported anything and had other people handle this for me. Last I checked, import was 10-15%, not 100%+.

Unforgiven

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I called UPS to get a quote on some LEDs I wanted to import from China. Declaration value is about $1,000, shipping value + insurance was like $500. Weight, 7.8kg. They 'estimated' a customs duty of $2,300. Seriously? I've never imported anything and had other people handle this for me. Last I checked, import was 10-15%, not 100%+.

Try using a different shipping method and contacting actual customs brokers. I found that to normally be much more reasonable costs than certain shipping companies that also want to be the broker and add in their fees.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
The package freight companies in my experience are completely incompetent when it comes to handling high technology imports. I have never seen one come up with an accurate HTS number for an import. That in turn means you almost always end up paying more in duties than you should. Often you can put a product into more than one HTS entry. I always advise picking the one with the lowest duty. Customs can always argue the point, but as long as your position isn't unreasonable, there is no penalty involved.

Light Emitting Diodes are Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS) 8541.40.2000,
and unless there has been a case brought before the International Trade Commission for dumping, the tariff is probably 20% for imports from the PRC, from most of the rest of the world the import duty is ZERO.

That only covers Light emitting diodes themselves, not LED flashlights or anything else.
(Flashlights are 35% duty, 8513.90.2000, from the PRC).

My suggestion would be to have the goods air freighted instead of shipped UPS or Fedex, and let a local customs broker handle it for you. Just tell him the value, the number of LED's, and remind him that it should be 8541.40.2000 if all you are importing is LED's.

In the case of mounted LED's, you can probably claim that the value of the mounting is minimal, and consequently doesn't impact the HTS classification.

space-time

Newly Enlightened
Use DHL. They have in-house customs. International isn't one of UPS's strong points from my personal experience. I've been involved with importing a fairly large amount of fixed LED lighting for commercial construction use (LED PAR bulbs, LED strip) from China and also plastic bottles from China in another life a few years ago. We always have used DHL. DHL's gig has always been international from day 1. Ask your chinese suppliers how they airfreight most things and you will probably hear DHL.

Now that's airfreight. For boat ship plan on 1-2 months (serious) and then find a customs broker, as Unforgiven mentioned. Ocean ship is good for large multi-pallet lots ordered far in advance. DHL is best for small lots and fast need. We've DHLed samples in the past then ocean shipped the production lot. Be prepared for some surprises with ocean ship. A few years ago during a boom period we had our spot on a boat essentially "sold" right out from underneath us at the dock in China during a period were nearly all freight back to the US was booked months in advance. Took a week to get on another ship. It will also always take a week or two longer than any of the estimates they give you.

And some more trivia. DHL bought Airborne Express at one point a few years ago, with the intent of using Airborne as their US delivery operation. Apparently hasn't worked out so well. We've had items last year go from China to the DHL gateway in Los Angeles, then to the Airborne/DHL hub in Ohio, I think it was, then back to us in Los Angeles. :shakehead As of a few months ago I read that DHL is apparently giving up on that operation and doing a hand-off to UPS once the goods hit the continent for local delivery in the US, under some arrangement. BUT you need to start with the DHL end, not the UPS end.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Light Emitting Diodes are Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS) 8541.40.2000,

Just curious, but why? Is it a specific group for LEDs, or something more general?

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does this apply as far a person use ... one led flashight for HK for example.

The reason I ask is that for someone my latest purchase one 1 flashlight from HK resulted in the USPS returning the shipment for some reason. I called their 1-800 number and was given no reason but told to contact the shipper.

I've never heard of customs duty being owed on a single flashlight from HK but now I'm wondering.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Non-commercial imports do not need a customs broker in the USA, you can do it yourself if you are located or are willing to travel to a point of entry with customs facilities and do it. I have done it many times. You pay the duty, generally a modest customs service fee, and that's that. It is usually a lot less expensive than a customs broker. If you are dealing with a commercial import, then you MUST use a licensed broker. Many companies that do a lot of
commercial importing have a licensed broker on the payroll. So I doubt there would be any issue with a single flashlight as a personal import, however I don't recommend trying to import a dozen flashlights that way.