Solarforce L2 Problem - Solved!

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have a new L2 and I inserted the XP-G pill from my Javelin to try it out. It works fine with my AW buttom top 18650 but not with the flt top.

It's strange because if I insert the pill and hold it down with my thumb it turns on fine. Plenty of spring pressure on top of battery. In fact if I just insert the pill and let it sit on the battery with clicky on the led turns on.

If I screw on the bezel, however, the ed my blink on or off but I cannot find any tension by screwing or unscrewing the bezel that works dependably. It either doesn't work at all or when on the sightest shake turns it off.

Any solution? My button top is needed in my MC-E so I only have a flat top to use.

Ok ~ correction. It happens with the button top too. The pill is loose so I think that may be the problem.

Is there any reason I shouldn't wrap the pill in al foil so it jams in tightly? I have no copper tape and I'm anxious to try it ou tonight.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Re: L2 Problem - Please Help

So the question now becomes is there any reason not to wrap a p60 drop in with aluminum foil so it fits tightly in the l2 host?

recDNA

Flashaholic

Ok, I couldn't wait. I wrapped the top if the pill in aluminum foil. I kept it off the copper section at the bottom nearest the battery.

It worked like a charm. Flashlight functions perfectly now. I can change modes reliably (alright sometimes I have to soft press a couple of times to get the mode to change). Comes on every time I press clicky on. Shaking has no effect. Pill no longer rattles.

If I leave it on high for a while it does get hot so heat is being transmitted to the body effectively. In fact the Solarforce gets hotter than the Javelin so it either transfers heat better or the led is driven harder by the AW 18650 2600 than it was by 2 X L91 AA lithium primaries in the Javelin.

The knurling on the L2 could be used as sandpaper. Seems very sharp. Gives excellent grip but I wonder if I used it all day if it would give me blisters?

I like the feel of the clicky very much. Not too soft, not too hard (like the Dereelight is).

The gunmetal color is beautiful IMO. Looks greenish in dim light and sort of golden steel color in bright light. I'm glad I sprung for the ss smooth bezel. The aluminum bezel that comes with the L2 is weapon sharp. I could easily rip or cut something with it. On the other hand it doesn't seem to hurt the beam pattern at all.

The one thing I'm a little nevous about is if a piece of the al foil breaks off and floats around in the body could it cause a short circuit leading to vent with flames? BOOM?

I'm going to order the UCL lens and a single mode Dereelight XP-G P60 to put in my Javelin. I didn't like the 3 mode that I put in the L2 with the Javelin forward clicky. Kept changing modes by accident. In the L2 the pill only changes modes when I want it to.

All in all for very short money I'm thrilled with my SF L2. I can't wait to try a low voltage SST-50 or MC-E in it when I see a pill I like. I'm so happy with my Dereelight pill I may just wait to see if Dereelight comes out with one. No Paypal for me so I can't try Nailbender anyway.

I haven't decided where to keep the L2 yet. Might keep it in the car for a while so I can play with it outdoors but I don't like leaving Li Ion batteries in the car. It may even take the place of honor next to me on the couch.

Does anybody know if the Gunmetal finish scatches easily?

Is a piece foil likely to break off and cause a short circuit?

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does anybody know if the Gunmetal finish scatches easily?
It most likely will, since it's type II anodized.

I've had a gunmetal L2 for a year now and there are no noticable scraatches on it, but I am very careful with the light.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic

It's really nice looking don't you think?

I found a holster to keep it scratch free until I drop it.

recDNA

Flashaholic

I found thin sheets of copper at A C Moore so I'm going to try replacing al. Foil with copper cut to size.

parnell

Newly Enlightened
Re: Solarforce L2 Problem - Please Help

Does the pill have an outer spring installed? The L2 doesn't taper inside, generally requiring the spring.

recDNA

Flashaholic

I found thin sheets of copper at A C Moore so I'm going to try replacing al. Foil with copper cut to size.

OK, the copper squares at A C Moore are PERFECTO! I cut one strip of the 4 inch square about 5/8 inch in width and wrapped it around aluminum part of the pill. I inserted the pill and tried it out and it worked perfectly.

Interestingly, when I remove the pill the copper stayed behind perfectly formed to the inside of the tube and held in place by a lip in the host. That copper isn't going anywhere! The pill is snug but not jammed in tight like it was with the foil. Still room to put a little Arctic silver on both sides of the copper but it fits so snugly I think heat conduction will be fine. The pill doesn't rattle at all as it did without the aluminum or copper.

BTW, if you need any, you get eight 4" X 4" squares of thin copper at A C Moore for $6.99 and I had a 50% off coupon so only $3.50! That's enough copper to wrap more pills than I'll ever buy!

One warning though...although the copper is thin it isn't foil-like. It's a thin sheet of copper. If you brush your finger against it (like I did) it slices like a knife through butter. Pretty deep too. I didn't even feel it. Looked down and there was blood all over the place. A little quick work with a styptic pencil and a bandaid and I'm ready for my next "mod"!

I know, pretty pathetic, but for ME this IS a mod! LOL

Man that Dereelight XP-G P60 drop in turns the L2 into a real pocket rocket. I mean it's close to my MG Pli with a better hotspot to boot!

recDNA

Flashaholic
Re: Solarforce L2 Problem - Please Help

Does the pill have an outer spring installed? The L2 doesn't taper inside, generally requiring the spring.

Oh yes the pill has a good spring. Just too much room for it to shake side to side. The copper did the trick. Works first time every time now. I think I'll wrap a little copper around the 1 mode XP-G pill I'm getting to replace the one I took out of my Javelin. I've got plenty of copper now!

Thought I share a couple of cheesie photos taken with my Droid.

L2On.jpg

L2LED.jpg

L2angle-2.jpg

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
rec,

Thanks for the tip for copper foil @ AC Moore. I have a stash of copper flashing but its too thick to use for a drop-in.

It's actually 40 gauge (.079 mm thick) which is thicker than the foil they sell (although 40 gauge can be called "foil") but way thinner than flashing. I think it's just right. It's easy to wrap around the pill and retains its shape in the tube. If the pill is really loose they also sell bigger sheets (8.5 X 11 rolled in tubes) you can cut into longer strips. Easy to find and the price is right. I had no luck at all at electronics stores.

Last edited: