Ra Clicky 140E Review (With Pics!)

antikythera

Newly Enlightened
:caution: Warning! Long review ahead! :caution:
:nana:

Alright, so I just got my Ra Clicky 140E from The Battery Station, going from my first light, a Nitecore D10 R2 (Actually, got it on pre-order, so thankfully no SP nonsense).

So I open the box, and dig it out.

Wow. I can see where the money went in this thing.

The light is much smaller than I expected, only being a hair longer than my D10, but much thicker. This is a perfect size, IMO. With the size being as it is, I would use the D10 in a cigar grip nine times out of ten. With the Clicky, the recess in the battery tube makes it much more comfortable. The thing feels rock-solid.

The clip, as expected, was extremely functional, but looked and felt horrendous. I put it on, and took it off immediately. This is the only place where I think this light is lacking. I hear of an improvement in the future, though...

The knurling is fantastic, providing a great grip, without threatening to shred your pants. There are a couple of spots missing anodizing, but whatever. This light isn't going to be a shelf queen. Not using it would be criminal. :twak:

The bezel feels incredibly smooth, having been machined (like everything else) beautifully, with wonderful curves and no sharp edges anywhere.

Speaking of usage, the "mouse click" analogy for the click mechanism is spot-on. There is a great tactile response both physically and aurally, but it isn't loud. The rubber boot is of excellent quality as well, even though it is smooth with no texturing.

And speaking of the tailcap, this light actually tailstands! It's a little wobbly, mind you, but it still works. It's not strictly necessary, but it is a nice convenience feature.

The beam. Flawless. I could not have asked for a better quality beam. One continuous radial gradient of slightly warm white, and it isn't even a GT. I saw the beam, and was stunned. One could even go as far as to describe it as "buttery." Actually, that fits. Both in tone and consistency of the beam, this glorious handheld illumination tool produces a buttery wall of photons, sending them hurtling towards whatever takes your fancy. Okay, now I'm rambling. :whistle:

Still, the light deserves it.

The one-button interface works like a charm. Engaging customization mode was a snap, and within seconds, I had a light perfectly tailored to my liking. I have it set as follows:
A: Default (low)
B: Default minus 4 or so steps (I'll figure out the number of lumens later) (medium-low)
C: Default minus a few steps (medium)
D: Default (burst)

Honestly, it was fine as-is, but the ability to custom-tailor your settings to your needs is just one of those touches that shows the thought that went into this light. :bow:

The light just exudes confidence in both its build quality and its feature-set.

Overall, 2-hour ownership report: Fantastic, and worth every penny. I'm glad I started out from the top of the quality heap. Buy cheap, buy twice. (I know, I know, clichéd, but it's true). And thanks for everyone who helped me make my decision (special mention to CLBME).

I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them here. I need to put my soft-box together again. :tired:

EDIT: Here are some pics, enjoy!

DSC_0268.JPG

DSC_0290.JPG

DSC_0348.JPG

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Re: Ra Clicky 140E Review (Pics pending)

I just got my Clicky 140w on Thursday, and I will echo your thoughts. It really is a light I want to carry everywhere. Excellent tool, and I hope I am able to do it justice by using it the way it was meant to be used. :twothumbs

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast

You just need a Ti Bezel Up/Down clip with Ti screws and you have the perfect EDC.

James....:wave:

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey, if you're willing to pay... ;)
I don't think its even a case of money as the guy who was making these clips isn't active here at CPF anymore.

The Ti Bezel Up/Down clip really makes this light IMHO. Without it, it would be just another round CR123 light that wants to constantly lay at the bottom of my jeans pocket getting in the way whilst rolling away everytime I place it on a sloped surface.

I use the clip to attach the light to a baseball cap brim for hands free use as well as bezel down in my jeans pocket here at work everday.

I did hear a rumour here about new Ra clip options in the near future from Henry himself - might be worth checking out if you don't like the current factory offering.:green:

James....:)

Last edited:

antikythera

Newly Enlightened

I don't think its even a case of money as the guy who was making these clips isn't active here at CPF anymore.

The Ti Bezel Up/Down clip really makes this light IMHO. Without it, it would be just another round CR123 light that wants to constantly lay at the bottom of my jeans pocket getting in the way whilst rolling away everytime I place it on a sloped surface.

I use the clip to attach the light to a baseball cap brim for hands free use as well as bezel down in my jeans pocket here at work everday.

I did hear a rumour here about new Ra clip options in the near future from Henry himself - might be worth checking out if you don't like the current factory offering.:green:

James....:)

Yeah, shame about Chip and his clips. I would have liked to get one.

Yup. I heard the same thing about the Ra stock clip, and I think it's in there somewhere...

Here it is.
The clip, as expected, was extremely functional, but looked and felt horrendous. I put it on, and took it off immediately. This is the only place where I think this light is lacking. I hear of an improvement in the future, though...

Here's hoping! Other than that, it's a really fantastic light.

CLBME

Enlightened

Good morning Antikythera,

It's great to hear you're loving the Clicky. You did your homework well and it's always rewarding when you end up so happy with the end result. :twothumbs Enjoy it!

Thank you for the kind mention in your post.

Christian

antikythera

Newly Enlightened

Um. I have pictures, but how do I upload them?

antikythera

Newly Enlightened

Okay. I think I've figured it out. I'll post some pictures in a little bit.

Hobbs

Newly Enlightened
I must be officially blind! I have looked at this thread with Firefox, SeaMonkey and IE. I see no pics or links to pics.:confused:

Latest posts