Fenix MC10 Anglelight First Impressions & Pics

Blackbeard

Enlightened
Here's some pics and initial thoughts, will give a further evaluation/review after I've had the chance to use it at work next week.

Pros:

Smaller & weighs less than I expected, very compact
Can attach to headlamp band
Includes spare O ring, lanyard and diffuser
Pivots 90 degrees
Tailstands
Hangable with triangular mount
Sturdy Ti coated clip, allows hands free use on pocket
5 modes; Low, med, high, strobe & sos
Decent balance of flood/throw beam
Nice beam pattern, not ringy, no artifacts
Decently bright at 125 Lumens

Cons

Threads were gritty, had to clean and apply superlube, first Fenix I've gotten that had this, but its not a big deal
Tailcap threads missing some annodizing, a few very small chips, also no biggie
90% plastic, but decent quality pvc is used, seems sturdy, but only head(ribbed horizontal portion that starts at serial number) is aluminium
Pivot allen key screw & some other paarts had some pvc glue protruding which came off easily with the farmers awl(but u can still see it in the pics)
Plastic diffuser slightly hard to put on, may break over time
Only 125 Lumens, could be brighter

So far I'm really liking the light. push button on top feels like and is slightly smaller than the round buttons on PS3 contoller, but slightly harder to press. Button works easily, and I dont find it difficult to use as some CPF posters. Seems almost as bright as the LD10, but I think it loses distinction from high and med modes when I put in a slightly used Lithium. NIMH battery works great. I'll shut up now, heres the pics:

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

Last edited:

asfaltpiloot

Newly Enlightened
Wow, nice pictures.
Good review. :thumbsup:

I use mine when working on/in computers.
I like how it (tail)stands, so you can use it hands free.

Gazerbeam

Newly Enlightened
Short and sweet, good job! :thumbsup: Nice (big) pictures. Could you possibly post a diffused beam shot?

Last edited:

tucolino

Newly Enlightened
nice pictures!!!
i got one in blue,and use it constantly as my working light.for me versatility define and resume this light.
the only thing i don´t like is the diffuser.looks a cheap solution from fenix.its useful,but somehow fragile.mine still working,but don´t know for how long.

Gazerbeam

Newly Enlightened
Thank you! Great beam shot, not as diffused as I was expecting, still has a very intense and defined hot spot!
Probably a good idea to resize those pictures, before a moderator asks you to!!

Last edited:

Blackbeard

Enlightened
I'm prepping for my fantasy baseball draft, so I don't have time do redo picture sizes, I apologize if this is an issue

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised its mostly plastic, I'm sure its decent plastic but it seems stingy on fenix's part. Maybe it was necessary though?

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
I'm surprised its mostly plastic, I'm sure its decent plastic but it seems stingy on fenix's part. Maybe it was necessary though?

As far as I can tell, it isn't mostly plastic. It seems to have a metal "chassis" that has a plastic skin/shell formed around/over it. It's kind of a funny light, but I'm looking forward to taking mine camping. :)

For what it's worth, I think the diffuser actually works very well. It leaves a bit of a spot, but it really is quite diffused. The pattern isn't the smoothest, but in use you most likely won't notice that anyways.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh the OP said it was 90% plastic. If its just the outer shell thats great. It has the strength of aluminum but won't get cold to the touch like metal, which will be handy if you are using it in the woods. maybe it also cuts down on the weight which might be handy for headlamp use.

SuPpAvIlLiN

Enlightened
Everyone keeps saying how ugly the MC10 is. I disagree, plus as long as its a reliable light than its all good. I ordered mine 2 days ago. I cant wait.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
Hate to dredge up an old thread, but been having issues with this light. Lately I see no difference between med and high with a fresh eneloop, alkaline or Lithium primary. Can get high mode or brighter with a 14500, but than medium and low dont work.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The difference should be slight but noticeable. Its more noticeable outdoors or on a ceiling bounce. might also want to clean the threads too. This light draws 3A on HI from a healthy eneloop.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
Have you tried cleaning the battery contacts in the flashlight?

Yeah, cleaned with rubbing alcohol but does'nt seem to help, seems to flicker from med to high
lumens when set to high and pwm noise changes frequency, but wont stay on high. Due to its design you can't really access emitter without destroying the light

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Yeah, cleaned with rubbing alcohol but does'nt seem to help, seems to flicker from med to high
lumens when set to high and pwm noise changes frequency, but wont stay on high. Due to its design you can't really access emitter without destroying the light

Sounds like the light is defective. Its an electronic switch, so its the programmable IC thats lost it.

Curious can you use a multi-meter and measure the tailcap current draw going from MED to HI? Should be roughly double the current (IIRC) on HI with an eneloop.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
Sounds like the light is defective. Its an electronic switch, so its the programmable IC thats lost it.

Curious can you use a multi-meter and measure the tailcap current draw going from MED to HI? Should be roughly double the current (IIRC) on HI with an eneloop.

I have 2 good fluke meters for my work(one multimeter and one ammeter) but I never took readings on lights, I suppose I need to hook up some alligator clip wires, but not sure how, ?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Set it to the 10 or 20 amp DC setting.
Just use the red/black probes and touch the battery tube with one and the -B with the other. Turn the light ON with the probes in contact and cycle through the modes. Current will pass through the meter and display on the LCD.

Its a bit tricky with the MC10 because its not a clicking switch, but I was able to manage it.

Just to re-iterate, theres not a whole lot of difference between Med and hi on this light. Its more noticeable on a ceiling bounce and most noticeable outdoors. On a white wall the difference in spot intensity is subtle. I consider Medium on this light to be more like a cooler/longer running HI mode.

Last edited:

Blackbeard

Enlightened
Unfortunately my digital multimeter can only read dc microamps, and my ammeter is a clamp style with no DC mode, use these for HVAC, so they are great for that but dont give me the option to measure as you suggested. Might pick up a cheapo one to test with. I agree that the medium and high are very close, but it seems like there is no difference between the two. Will post result if I get the meter, but may send it to fenix(hope that isnt a nightmare). Thanks for the help.

Latest posts