Wolf-Eyes T3 Review: A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Submitted for consideration for the review forum:

Wolf-Eyes T3

Wolf-Eyes has long been known for their robust torch design. The T3 definitely lives up to this reputation. With output claims that are sky high and this much potential versatility, my hopes were raised indeed.

Wolf Eyes T3

Meat and Potatoes

The T3 utilizes a triad of R2 bin Cree XR-E LEDs very reminiscent of the EagleTac M2XC4. Wolf-Eyes however has shoe-horned them into a far more compact package, making for far greater portability. Powered by a single protected 18650, the T3 still manages to just barely be considered pocketable. With a claimed 855 lumens in high mode, this light had created some seriously large expectations in me. I was expecting some of the same giggle-inducing brightness I've seen in much larger lights and I unashamedly say I was very worried about disappointment. None of that came to be, thankfully, because the T3 definitely delivers on its promises.

The beam profile of the T3 is decidedly floodier thanks to incredibly small and shallow reflectors for each LED. This creates a potentially more usable beam, rather than being intended solely for distance illumination. Though the spot is still relatively tight, a lot of the light ends up in the spill beam as well making it so this light just illuminates the entire neighborhood at night. Don't be fooled though, you aren't forced to give up on throw entirely. What the T3 lacks in focus, it more than makes up for in raw power. Even with its wider focus, it still manages to out-throw some worthy contenders. As you might suspect, this light does suffer from the pronounced dark ring around the hotspot that has plagued the XR-E format since its inception. Thankfully during real world use this becomes significantly less apparent and is rarely noticed.

Craftsmanship is to a large extent, an intangible quality. What, precisely, it is that makes a well made product truly stand out is often times hard to specifically quantify. Oftentimes it boils down to attention to detail. Wolf-Eyes has done a spectacular job in this arena with the T3. Almost every edge has been beveled, champhered or gracefully rounded and every piece fits together so well that it feels as if it was milled from a single solid block of aluminum. The anodized finish is flawless and appears very thick and durable. The designers even took some liberty to add a few subtle flourishes to the aesthetics that just add that last finishing touch to make it beautiful. This is, in my opinion, a very well crafted light.

Wolf Eyes T3

Constructive Criticism

The T3 uses a rounded metal nub for a negative battery contact very similar to what I saw Pila utilize. That choice proved to be quite detrimental to the primary cells I was using in that light, by severely denting the cells negative end to where it had difficulty completing the circuit any more. With Wolf-Eyes, the stakes are higher because the 18650 used in the T3 is a far more expensive reusable cell than the once-and-done of Lithium primaries (last I read CR123A cells was NOT recommended). In my view, having spring connections on both sides of the cell is far more preferable. If that is not a viable option however, I would suggest a flat topped contact point that would more evenly distribute the pressure over a greater area reducing the chance of deformation.

This version of the T3 was the 4 mode, multi-output version and it definitely made good use of those options. Medium and Low mode (20% and 2% respectively) are very drastically different in quantity of light allowing a very wide range of uses. Unfortunately they chose to use PWM to accomplish this feat. Thankfully the PWM frequency is high enough that it does not readily make itself known during use. My problem with PWM is not on the visibility end of things however, but rather the underpinning efficiency. When all you are doing is reducing the duty cycle of the LED at full power, you are not allowing it to settle into the lower current ranges where LEDs are typically far more efficient. I would love to see the runtime this light would be capable of if full current regulation were in place for the lower levels. Thankfully this light is really made to run on High.

Wolf Eyes T3

Conclusions

"A specific light for a specific purpose" is a concept I have always been fond of and if I had to name the one purpose for this light, it would be for when I absolutely need to see EVERYTHING. Searing brightness, solid quality, good looks, and still small enough to have with you when you need it. What's not to love?

Provided for review by the kind folks at PTS-Flashlights.

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the review. Have you managed to take a lux reading and perform a regulation test on high?

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
Can you think of another torch that has a similar beam profile and have you noticed any dimming towards the end of the battery discharge? I have the Wolf-eyes MC-E with Sniper body and wondered if the beam profile would be similar.

Thanks.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam profile on this one is pretty classic XR-E. It does even include a bit of a Cree ring. Thankfully that isn't terribly prevalent in daily use. I haven't seen much dimming toward the end of the discharge, but I haven't really gotten there much. I tend to keep it pretty well charged. This light is designed for 18650 so it wouldn't surprise me if it can run pretty well to the end.

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
Do you know if the T3 is using the new Cree XR-E R2's with the EZ900 smaller dies, thus giving more lux?

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know for certain, but they are XR-E R2's and manufactured recently so I would suspect they are the EZ900 dies. I can't be certain but it looked minutely smaller than the die in my Q5 based Fenix TA30.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I just received my T3 and I am very impressed by the sheer quantity of light coming from this relatively small light. At first I assumed it was just a "flooder" without useful throw, but it actually throws a "wall of light" surprisingly far. As for the XR-E circles, they may be obvious on a white wall but are pretty much irrelevent in real life.

I was disappointed to read about the inefficient pulse-width approach to levels, but I plan to use the T3 mostly at max anyway.

I have owned many first-rate lights, but this little* guy is unusually impressive for sheer size/output.

*relatively

Brightnorm