Got a Quark MiNi AA on order, and reasearching for another

PrgSkidmark

Newly Enlightened
Hey All,

I've been trolling the forums for a couple weeks now. I came here looking for a new light that was current and high tech. My friend came over showing off his Streamlight Stinger C4 LED. I was blown away when it lit up the side my barn from across the yard. I was prepared to get a Streamlight, but wanted to know about all the other lights and manufacturers out there.

My current light is an Inova X5 SnapOn edition. I also have a 6D Mag from the mid 90's that I always thought was the shiz until I saw that Streamlight.

I got the Quark MiNi AA on order to have in my wife's purse for those emergencies, and anything else. That'll be a good starting place. I only chose that after reading about the company, it's products, and your opinions from the forums over the past couple weeks.

I am really up in air as to my next light. The Streamlight PT 2AA and PT 2L are coming out soon. I'm waiting to hear how y'all like those. I am also curious about the TK11 R5, or the TK12 R5. This R5 LED sounds awesome, and the C4 LED Streamlight uses has been out for a bit, but they are achieving higher brightness on same batteries. I also like the looks of the Quarks, and 4Sevens is making lights they want to make. I have researched and read about every light talked about on here though, and am open to anything at this point.

I also saw there's a multitool forum on here, and many carry one. I didn't know all the variety these days. I'm still using my Gerber and Leatherman from the mid 90's, and I realize that the newer tools are sweet as can be. I may get a newer tool based on all the talk and recommendations on these forums. I gotta get myself into the 2010's huh? LOL

Doug

Masque

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

You're spot-on about the Quarks; good lights from a great company. You may also wish to look into the HDS/NovaTac/Ra family of lights. They are not the brightest out of the box, but they have a strong following for a very long list of great reasons. (And you can swap the emitter, or have it swapped, and then you're back up in the modern brightness range once more!) Lastly, if you don't yet own a SureFire, well... you will, eventually, at least once. ;)

Enjoy your stay! :welcome:

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't see that you've asked any questions, or seem to be looking for any guidance?

But welcome to CPF!

PrgSkidmark

Newly Enlightened
carrot,

I see I really didn't ask anything. Sorry for not asking before.

Does anyone have an opinion about the new Streamlight PT 2AA or PT 2L?
Perhaps I haven't seen anything about these lights because no one likes the C4 LED.

I also found that Fenix has new TK11 and TK12 lights that use the R5. I see people are looking forward to the TK45, but not much on the TK11 or TK12.
Does anyone have any opinions on these?
I also see many sticking with R4, or R2. I guess I won't know which I like unless I buy one of each. I see lots saying let the light be around for awhile.
Is the R4 or R2 old technology? Do they make new R4 or R2 products or model lineups?

When people have compared the Fenix to the 4Seven's line the opinions usually swing toward the 4Sevens line. But, then there's the giant thread about the green tinted R5 in the Quark. This confuses me because they sell a completely different line of the same light but White light and it costs more.
Does that mean the Quarks are defective? Would I have anything to worry about if I put down some cash on a Quark?

Another thing that's got me thinking. There's lots of people with Titanium lights.
Are the Titanium lights any better build quality over other metals like the anodized aluminum? They are the same LED and microprocessors right?

I've read about diffusers that go on the end of lights.
Are there any specific manufacturers that use those, or can you get them for any light?
I think that would be good to spread out the light. Perhaps no one really uses them, and just set their light on the end to create a candle.

I guess that's all my researching thoughts.

Thanks!
Doug

carrot

Flashaholic
Streamlight isn't very popular here. Their lights are more appealing to law enforcement and firefighters for a myriad of reasons. They don't have much sex appeal and tend to be on the larger side.

TK11 is essentially an 18650 (li-ion battery) compatible TK10, which has received good reviews. I'm personally not a big fan of the TK10 and similar models myself for ergonomic reasons.

R5 is the current best bin you can get a Cree emitter in. It is only available in the XP-G LED package. R2 is the best bin you can get an XR-E in, which is popular because it enables reflector designs for better throw. XR-E also came out before XP-G, which means it costs money for a company to switch from the XR-E to XP-G due to a need for a reflector (and other parts) redesign. R4 is commonly used by some manufacturers because they simply cannot get ahold of enough R5, whether by poor supply agreements or other reasons.

I would say the green-tinted Quark users are quite in the minority. I have a few myself and have handled dozens, all had a very nice cool white tint, not green by any standards. It could also be perception, depending on the environmental lighting. I wouldn't worry about getting a "lemon" if I were you.

Titanium lights generally do not have better LEDs or components than their aluminum counterparts, however, many deem titanium preferable despite its greater cost for many reasons, including but not limited to: aesthetics, strength, durability, corrosion resistance, and wear resistance. It is a luxury that some are fundamentally opposed to, but even naysayers cannot deny that titanium wears much more elegantly than aluminum due to a lack of coating that can chip or wear off.

Re: diffusers, they are not especially popular despite their added utility. Not sure why, except that they add extra bulk to a light and reduce output.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
You should have a look at the new Eagletac P20C2 mkII R5. I know I did and I was very pleasantly surprised by how good it is. I'm so glad I bought it. Fantastic UI, heaps of light and very good quality. The place I got it from, IlluminationGear also has a great section on its site for comparing the real world beams from lots of different torches.

Masque

Newly Enlightened
It is worth noting that titanium is inferior to aluminum for heat dissipation. For most production lights this is not really a factor, but it can be....

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a MiNi AA and I've noted that my light's tint is a hair on the green shade but it does not bother me. When it's dark out and I turn on my MiNi AA the last thing that goes through my mind is what color the light is. It's a perception thing anyway as it seems whiter when there are no other light sources around but greener when I compare it to my neutral white Dereelight 1SD which has a pink hue compared to a Malkoff. Just use the light and be happy about its size and features. I know I am.