Efficiency of incandescent bulbs

jack_flash

Newly Enlightened
Based on the data of Klaus and Alan (thank you very much!) from
Link to HPX-Thread

I drawed the following diagram:
xenonphil2.gif

It shows the efficiency of typical flashlight bulbs comparing to their power range. It is easy to see, that today's LEDs are more efficient in the low power range. A Luxeon Star LED has an efficiency of 18 lm/W, not reached with these bulbs.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
There ain't any picture... not even when I visit your site, there is the Arc LS graph, one with CR123, one with 2x nimh, but no xenon, it's just that fortune city picture.

jack_flash

Newly Enlightened
Nerd,

thank you. There *should* be a big diagram with Xenon bulb efficiency, too. (xenonphil2.gif)
But fortunecity seems to have some problems hosting pictures; It seems that I would need another web space.
Please try it again, hopefully it will be displayed.

Ulrich

camisdad

Newly Enlightened
hmmm- intriguing - how do you explain the positioning of several "alt (i.e. old) technology light bulbs in the higher efficiency area of the space? Weird... It seems that the "neu" (new) bulbs area actually a tad less efficient...

My suggestion: replace "alt" by "vieux" and "neu" by "nouveau".

:)

jack_flash

Newly Enlightened
camisdad,

I'm sorry, but I'll use this chart in Germany... but you understood it very well ;-)
Indeed, according to the above mentioned thread Alan marked these as obsolete:

HPX22 2.2V 0.61A 12.3 Lumens
HPX23 2.4V 0.70A 15 Lumens
HPX42 4.7V 0.40A 27.5 Lumens
HPX50 6.0V 0.47A 49 Lumens
HPX51 6.0V 0.55A 52 Lumens
HPX60 7.2V 0.85A 115 Lumens

That's a pity because of their efficiency, but IMHO their electrical data maybe wasn't attractive for customers (flashlight manufacturers?!), and nobody was interested in efficiency. Only an empty battery is a good battery?!
On the other hand, there may be lifespan issues, too.

"alt" = old
"neu" = new
"Glühfadenlampen" = incandescent bulbs

Enjoy ;-)

jack_flash

Newly Enlightened
This $%#*$§$%#!! fortunecity webspace exchanges my pictures! That's kind of counterfeit.
Any ideas avoiding this? If somebody is interested, I could email the chart.