What are the components that comprise an LED fixture?

wheelema

Newly Enlightened
Obviously I'm clueless but what I've gleened from reading is that
  • a LED light may have a buck/boost driver that allows for a range of voltages to drive the LED and keeps the LED at a constant level until the battery cell completely dies, and...
  • ...provides for a range of lumen output (dim/bright/etc.) and behavior (constant on/strobe).
  • the LED may be mounted on a star (for ease of soldering),
  • copper backed PCBs are advisable when running hot LED and a good heatsink is your friend.
Along with wire to hold it all together, lenses, batteries, housing, switch, etc.

My question to the community is twofold... what am I missing, and is there a site or thread that lays everything on the table better then what I've thrown up here?

Much appreciated!

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
That's basically it.

The 'star' might be better thought of as a pre-mounted heatsink, which can be any shape.

The copper backed pcb is only important if the LED is mounted to the PCB. It acts as heat dispersal path.

There's got to be a good design site, but I've not found it. Some of Larry's (tvrdo) threads on flashlight building were pretty good tutorials.

Daniel

wheelema

Newly Enlightened
Okay, so if I want to build a fixture using...
  • Cree XPG407S (7-up XP-G wired in series on a 40mm MCPCB) $48.14
  • Khatod 7-up Optics PL121140 (40 degrees) $16.95
... using a potentiometer (I need dimming capability) do I just call the vendor and ask for a recommendation for a driver, or is there a resource where I can try and figure it out?

I sure hope this headache subsides soon.

Thank you for the help.