String Trimmer / Weed Whacker Help, Please

MicroE

Enlightened
Calling all Flashaholic Landscapers.

I have a 9-year gas-powered Ryobi string trimmer that is approaching the end of its life. My arm turns into rubber when I start this thing and it leaks oil & gas all over me and dies every 2 minutes. It was cheap and now it's dying.

Yes, I am building biceps, but I am ready to replace it.

What is the official CPF brand of string trimmer?

Any suggestions? The weeds are starting to encroach on the house.

It's starting to feel like Day of the Triffids........

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I own a Ryobi, 7 years old and still going strong. 9 years is pretty darn good. I would say get another unless someone knows of an electric trimmer that has power, I have never seen one.

MicroE

Enlightened
Silviron---Thank you. I wonder how I missed that thread in my pre-post search.

Either I misssspellled somethin or mi mind es just faillllin.

richpalm

Banned
Look into the new Honda trimmers-they have 4-cycle engines. No more mixing oil! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Rich

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I stopped a pickup pulling a trailer that contained 2 riding mowers, 4-5 gas powered trimmers racked up like shotguns in the back window a pickup truck, and several hundred dollars of misc equipment and asked his price to take care of my half acre lot. He now stops by each Thursday and takes care of my yard on a as needed basis. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif I have a blown back and can no longer take care of my yard myself.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
ohhhh, 4-cycle trimmer, that sounds good. I am off to check prices. I haven't even looked and I'm already scared.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Did my looking and it's not that bad. If you want a Ryobi 4-cycle go to e-bay, they are thick. I will check out Lowe's this weekend. Must resist, must resist.

Banshee

Enlightened
Stay away from Ryobi...

MTD, Inc purchased the name brands for Ryobi, CubCadet, TroyBilt, YardMan, Yard Machines and Bolens. And since the quality of all those lines has suffered considerably. Most of the Professional landscapers I know recommend ECHO's Professional line (not the comsumer level found in HomeDepot) Stihl and REDMAX brand equipment. Most are typically found at a Power Equipment dealer rather than a home center like Lowes or HD.

If possible..go for a four stroke engine though. No mixing of oil and gas, quieter and more efficient than the typical 2-stroke engine!!

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried a couple of different 4-stroke models(owned by friends) and can't say they are any quieter or lighter than the 2-stroke models. They do however smell better than 2-stroke exhaust. Seem to have more torque. Just my thoughts.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I for one am convinced that Honda makes the best small gas engines..
They do make the best gasoline generator engines..don't they?

MicroE

Enlightened
If I have to wear hearing protection anyway, what is the real advantage of a 4-cycle over a 2-cycle? The 4-cycle Honda is several pounds heavier than a similar-sized 2-cycle Echo that I saw today.

Flashlight Analogy......

Most of the manufacturers list their engines by size, but Husqvarna lists them with the Watts/HP in addition to the displacement.

This reminded me of flashlights where almost all manufacturers give you peak candlepower and only the good guys give you total lumens.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

at this moment the only advantage I'm looking at is the name "Honda" on it. I don't think Honda makes a 2 stroke, do they?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I don't own a weed eater because I live in an apartment, but I used one years and years ago. O crap... now I forgot what brand it was. I don't even remember whether it was gas or electric...crud!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

MicroE

Enlightened
Thanks, Team CPF.
I bit the bullet today and bought an Echo string trimmer (model SRM210 for those that know such things).
It is a small Echo but it is MUCH more powerful than my old Ryobi. The Ryobi was 31cc and the new Echo is 21cc but the Echo really flies.
I love a well-built machine.

The Hondas were just too expensive and heavy.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

..hope you invest in a face screen, and hearing protectors..good luck!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I own a Tanaka gas two cycle twin string model. It was damn near $170. And right now I need a new 'bump button' for it, as I have to shut it down and manually feed more line.

However it starts great, has plenty of woff and once it bump feeds again will be dang near perfect! And I don't find it at all loud, so I don't know what y'all are talking about???