Do you have a Fenix TA21, are you happy with it?

bc62010

Newly Enlightened
Ive had my TA21 for several weeks now and for some reason I feel like its missing something. Im not sure if its because of the UI or not, maybe its buyers remorse. On one hand I love the feel to it and I kind of like the selector ring. I have too say Im used to clicky interfaces vs selecter rings maybe thats it. Anyone else feel like I do about this light.

AlienRFX

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I got one a few weeks ago as well. I like the light and have no real nitpicks with it, however I have an Inova T4 that I use for work as an automechanic. The Fenix is much brighter and fully submersible while the Inova has easy rechargability going for it.

And now that I think about it the only complaint I have is that this would make a better EDC light if the hotspot was expanded and less focused, or if Fenix made a beam diffuser for it.

I've also got a Jetbeam RRT-2 with OP reflector on the way that I will compare it to when that shows up. Suffice to say I like the selector ring user interface much more than combinations of button pushing, that way If i decide to mount it on my AR-15 I can just set what level of light I want and just push the button if something goes bump in the night without having to worry about what mode it will light up in.

As far as overall build quality, I like it better than the Surefire E2L that is at Surefire rightnow for warranty repair (intermittant operation). And the lens seems better protected than the one on my T4.

If I choose to use it as worklight then it will really see some abuse since drops to concrete from 6'plus are common and regular. Those drops by the way have killed at least 3 Inova T4's so far. All of which were replaced under warranty, the latest generation has been holding up well.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it better than I thought I would and the ring works beautifully. I did not like the ring on my RRT-0 and sold it.

I don't like the balance of the light and I dont' think it's pretty but I've gotten used to it and now I like it a lot. Easy to work even for me and seems very solid.

George

iTorch

Newly Enlightened
This is a light I want to get but have not done so yet.
The operation seem to be almost perfect, as does the battery type.
Only the fact that it is Chinese made is holding me back, well that and the fact that there has been so little written about it.
There was a very early report done by an airforce guy, very well done, but then nothing besides a couple of complaints about them not working properly.
I am hoping for a few more reviwes before i pull the trigger, plus now with the new LED's out there i am wodering about a 285 lumen model...

Someone please do another review?

bc62010

Newly Enlightened
This is a light I want to get but have not done so yet.
The operation seem to be almost perfect, as does the battery type.
Only the fact that it is Chinese made is holding me back, well that and the fact that there has been so little written about it.
There was a very early report done by an airforce guy, very well done, but then nothing besides a couple of complaints about them not working properly.
I am hoping for a few more reviwes before i pull the trigger, plus now with the new LED's out there i am wodering about a 285 lumen model...

Someone please do another review?
Heres a link to lots of reviews on the TA21 posted on YouTube, hope it helps.

JayO

Newly Enlightened
I've had mine for a couple of months now. So far I like it a lot. The build quality is excellent and the selector ring is easy to use. Nice to be able to select the brightness prior to turning the light on.
I do wish the markings on the ring were made so they were visible in darkness or at least some type of distinguishing dot on the indicator mark.

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
Hi OP, I don't feel like you do and I've been very happy with my TA21. I've had this light for about 9 months now (I remember repeating something like this in another thread...). And I love it! The flexibility of switching in different modes is its primary strength. And I have twist that revolving ring for so many times, used it in many occasions. And I always felt safer with it :D I've been using AW 18650 batteries for it, and the runtime is superfluous!

Ti²C

Newly Enlightened
it's well made, built tough, and multi purpose, that's the tool light i always carry when there is only room for one, and when there is need for sufficient runtime.
you can also run it for long time at max without warming issues..
i just wish they made it with xp-e/xp-g and a larger reflector...

flashfiend

Enlightened
Considering all my high output custom legos (lowest output is 650 lumens OTF), this is the one light I would be least likely to sell. Needless to say this is a great light.