Camping Light Observation

Flint&Steel

Newly Enlightened
The Land of Beautiful Women, Fast Horses, and Smoo
I'm know there are several fellow campers in the forums, and I wanted to share an observation. I just returned from a 3 day/2 night backcountry camping trip, and had the following lights with me: Coleman Exponent 4AA lantern, Princeton Tec EOS headlamp, Quark 123-2 Tactical neutral white (front pocket EDC), and my recently purchased iTP EOS A1 (keychain EDC).

The light I used the most and was most convenient was the A1 on a neck lanyard. It was easily accessible, and the low was plenty bright enough for walking around camp/gathering firewood/watering trees. Don't get me wrong, I used the others as well (headlamps are invaluable for cooking in the dark), and the neutral white Quark's color rendition of the vegetation at a distance was superb, but a little light around your neck is a nice and convenient thing to have.

I just put the A1 back on my keychain and heard it whimper, sad that it's not going to be used as much as it was this weekend, at least not until the next camping trip.

lovecpf

Flint

LupinIII

Enlightened
I've found that when I go outdoors, my light of choice is whatever I have on my Fenix headband - typically an L2D CE. Having both hands to work is very convenient, and using a light with some flexible output levels is great.

How did you use the A1? Did you use it to get around and leave the light on when you gathered wood for example? I've never tried a neck light before, and I'm curious how usage goes.

Flint&Steel

Newly Enlightened
The Land of Beautiful Women, Fast Horses, and Smoo
Hey Lupin, I agree, a headlamp is a valuable addition to any camping trip. Personally, wearing one gets a little uncomfortable after 10-15 mins. or so. Plus, you run the risk of blinding a friend. :oops:

I had the A1 dangling loosely outside my shirt, about belly-button level. When you walk, the light bounces with you and lights your next footstep. To grab firewood, I'd just walk over to the pile, give it a quick shine (and leave it turned on), and grab some wood. Also, it's much easier to use if you need a light and are sitting down, it's right there and you don't have to dig in your pocket. And the best is that, with a new CR123, it specs out for 150 hours on low, so if you keep it continuously on for 4 hours per night, that's 37.5 nights in a row. Of course I had to play with the medium and high levels, but low was perfect for around the camp.

I didn't think I'd like wearing it around my neck, but it worked for me and I recommend campers giving it a try if they haven't already. YMMV, and the best thing is is that if it doesn't work for you, you can easily take it off!

Flint

GTIMANiac

Newly Enlightened
For a headlamp I use a Black Diamond Spot, for a lantern I usually only use one in the tent I use a Black Diamond Orbit. For handheld flashlight I use a 3D 1185 or 2C with 2 AW cells and 5D lamp.

The spot on the headlamp is fantastic for mid-night restroom runs, and the multiple LEDs great for around camp.

The Orbit Lantern is great for hanging in the tent, enough light to play poker, dice, get the next mornings clothes / hunting gear together.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that a small light around the neck is very useful. I don't like headlamps for most uses either.

I have a Photon Pro which has a small ss ring in the tail. It's the perfect camping light (I carry bigger ones as well). It has a ramping feature and gets very low (even has a secondary red led option).

Because of the ramping feature I can just adjust it to what seems like the right light level for the conditions. It's good for all the things you mentioned. The red led is good for in the tent in the middle of the night if you need to get out to "take a stroll".

It's a 1 AA light and I just keep it under my shirt when not needed. I've used it rock climbing as the sun was going down and when I wasn't sure if I would be able to get off the rock before the sun set.

If I need a lot of light for a while I use a bigger light.

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to concede that despite the prevalence of so many Cree lights, my favorite camping light is the made in U.S.A. Pelican MityLite 2440PL. The housing glows in the dark, it throws a nice medium flood, the clicky feels great, it could care less about rain, and it uses common AA batteries which last forever. No, it isn't regulated, yes, the tint is a whitish-blue, but it rocks around camp for seeing what you are doing.

This is the only flashlight I used to cycle from Santa Monica, CA, to Wilmington, NC, and each night, my brother and I used it to setup camp. I liked it so much, I bought one for my brother as a birthday present. I can no longer find it on Pelican's site, which saddens me, but a quick search shows they are still available for sale.

You mileage can, and probably will, vary.