Tritium on Quark AA Turbo

anethema

Newly Enlightened
First of all Hi everyone, been lurking for a while, but finally got a light worth posting about!

Of course, I have questions :D

I ordered a Quark AA Turbo and it should be here in a few days. I would like to mod it with some tritium vials.

Question 1: I saw some pictures of people who have put tritium vials beside the emitter on their light. Do the vials tolerate the heat ok? Pic here:
image1er3.jpg

and
H3-LED.jpg

Don't remember the thread it came from unfortunately. I just saved the image links.

Just want to confirm this is safe and they don't get too hot sitting right by the emitter. The turbo supposedly runs fairly cool so that might help.

Question 2: I see a lot of people are removing the clip on the quarks which (for some reason) exposes a small slot into which they insert their vials. Looking at the largest pictures I could find of the light, could not see any promising slots, but it is hard to go off of pictures. Maybe between cooling fins? Also the clip does not appear to be in the same place. If I remove the clip (which I kind of do not want to do) would that same slot be there?

Question 3: Assuming someone knows a good spot for it, what size vial will fit in there? I've found two main sellers currently operating in the marketplace. Bart and Merkava.

Bart seems fairly low on stock right now, but has vials in several colors at 1.55x5mm size in a couple colors. This seems like a good size if I'm going to put some right on the emitter but larger on the light itself seems desirable.

Merkava has around that size in green only, but has 2mm x 12.15mm in a few colors and even a giant 3mm x 23mm in several colors! So this is why I'm asking size. If anyone has put some vials on a AA Turbo let me know!

The Norland is already ordered and I have read up lots on curing/sources. Have a few fixtures around and found some UV bulbs at the proper wavelength so curing should be easy enough.

Thanks everyone for your time, glad to be here!

jk037

Newly Enlightened
What size are those trits in the last 2 photos? Unless that light is huge then the vials must be tiny!

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the point of this?
:confused:What´s the point of your question?

I don´t think you can put the vials beside the LED of your Quark Turbo. The pictured lights are a) without a reflector (McGizmo) and b) have a big reflector opening which both is not the case with a Quark Turbo head. I would consider putting a vial 1.55x5mm in the tailcap slots that are supposed to be for lanyard attachment. Actually I am still thinking about that myself.

Eric

anethema

Newly Enlightened
:confused:What´s the point of your question?

I don´t think you can put the vials beside the LED of your Quark Turbo. The pictured lights are a) without a reflector (McGizmo) and b) have a big reflector opening which both is not the case with a Quark Turbo head. I would consider putting a vial 1.55x5mm in the tailcap slots that are supposed to be for lanyard attachment. Actually I am still thinking about that myself.

Eric

Ah well that is too bad. Do you think 1.55x5mm is the largest size that will fit inside those slots on the standard tailcap? (Tactical I believe)

4sevens_quark_aa.jpg

They seem bigger in the pic but it is pretty tough to tell.

What is the point of this?

Because Tritium glows for 15 year fairly brightly and still pretty bright at the 25 year mark. This way I can always find my light in a dark tent or room. It isn't for "bling".

strinq

Enlightened
Because Tritium glows for 15 year fairly brightly and still pretty bright at the 25 year mark. This way I can always find my light in a dark tent or room. It isn't for "bling".

When it is beside the emitter and largely concealed by the head, i believe it is for bling...you can hardly see it.
If you really want it as a functional thing, it would be best if it was on the body itself.

anethema

Newly Enlightened
I was hoping if it was beside the emitter it would shine out of the flashlight very slightly, enough to be seen in the pitch dark. If not I would not bother putting it in the head.

5mm trits fit in the tailcap slot :naughty:

Thanks! Ordered some greens.

Last edited:

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah well that is too bad. Do you think 1.55x5mm is the largest size that will fit inside those slots on the standard tailcap
You might be able to fit in vials up to 6-7mm but I don´t think there are bigger vials available around here that would fit the tailcap slots. So 1.55x5mm are the best choice and with them you are definitly on the save side.

Eric

recDNA

Flashaholic
You might be able to fit in vials up to 6-7mm but I don´t think there are bigger vials available around here that would fit the tailcap slots. So 1.55x5mm are the best choice and with them you are definitly on the save side.

Eric

What's the best easy to find adhesive to use?

KuKu427

Enlightened
If you are willing to wait a couple of hours, I'll let you know if 1.5x6mm trits will fit in there.

EDIT: Yes, 1.5mmx6mm trits fit. But they protrude a little on the clicky side.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Devcon 2-part clear epoxy is a popular choice for those who do not use Norland 61. It is not optically clear though, so it is not as ideal as using Norland.

Are either available at hobby stores or hardware stores?

PayBack

Enlightened
Because tritium is cool.

+1

It's a shame it doesn't come as an option upgrade on the likes of four 7's, Fenix etc. I have to settle for GITD swtich boots and four 7's doesn't do those :(

For me the Jetbeam III M would be near my perfect light if it had nicely done tritium or even a GITD boot.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
+1

It's a shame it doesn't come as an option upgrade on the likes of four 7's, Fenix etc. I have to settle for GITD swtich boots and four 7's doesn't do those :(

For me the Jetbeam III M would be near my perfect light if it had nicely done tritium or even a GITD boot.

Trouble is GITD boots don't.....at least not for long. Tritium LASTS and GLOWS

anethema

Newly Enlightened
If you are willing to wait a couple of hours, I'll let you know if 1.5x6mm trits will fit in there.

EDIT: Yes, 1.5mmx6mm trits fit. But they protrude a little on the clicky side.

Cool. I actually ordered the 5.5mm to be safe.
1.47mm x 5.5mm Green

:D

What's the best easy to find adhesive to use?

I ordered Norland 61 from the marketplace, so there is some there if you'd like.

csa

Enlightened
I liked the tritium in the light I had, but didn't end up being all that useful. And it didn't help me find the light when it slipped out of my pocket on a dark night somewhere.