Various pictures of some lights

bmsmith

Enlightened
Al's (Size15s) post about his Ultrastinger impressions made me activate my web space to store some pictures for posting. He asked me to post some pictures of a Streamlight XT/HP, but I figured I'd show more than just the XT/HP just for fun.

Just so everyone understands, these pictures are hosted by ATTBI, not the CPF server, so I am not running up DavidW's bandwidth bill with large pictures. Just the text. And smilies.
smile.gif

Why I am doing this I have no idea. I'm not a good photographer. Boredom and love of flashlights I guess.

For the curious, I'm using a Olympus C-700UZ for these pictures at 640x480 low quality JPEG mode.

Here's a Streamlight Stinger XT/HP, Ultrastinger, and Mag 3D standing tall.
PA300560.JPG

Here's a close shot of the Stinger XT/HP's reflector. Notice the dimpling effect on the lower part of the reflector closest to the bulb.
PA300559.JPG

More to come....

Size15's

Flashaholic
Thank you!

I dunno about the rest of you 'orrible lot, but I get an idea of a flashlight when it's side-by-side with another flashlight. In a group of flashlights, there is usually one I have, or can identify with.

Thanks for sharing. I look forward to more photos.

Regards,

Al

brightnorm

Flashaholic
bms,

Nice pics. The one showing the half textured US is particularly useful. I don't recall any previous shots of this and it really clarifies what has been referred to as a "partly textured or faceted reflector".

Thanks,
Brightnorm

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW i have the same camera bmsmith. Anyway, what do you think about the Stinger HP/XT? I see that you have both, but which one do you reach for most of the time?

I've had the Ultrastinger and i LOVE it's light output and reach. If i had the reflector you have, i'm sure i would have loved it more. But i traded it because i didn't like to the "Surefire-like" beam. I wanted the US because of it's reach, not its beam quality. I find that Surefire lights do not give me the "reach" i'm looking for.

Anyway, what do you think of the HP/XT? And is that a tail switch i see on the HP/XT?

B@rt

Flashaholic
Very nice pics!
May I make a suggestion? Instead of using your own precious webspace, use ImageStation instead...
rolleyes.gif

I must sound like a door to door salesman
icon15.gif
(no, I'm not on their payroll...
tongue.gif
), but it is about the best way to put up pics in a forum.
icon14.gif
No worries that you run out of web-space, auto-resizing to a pleasant format, always available, even if you decides to use your webspace for other purposes...
Just a thought...
rolleyes.gif

ps,
You can either create your own account or use the CPF account, using this login info:
Member name: flashaholic
Password: cpf

Ratso

Enlightened
Great pics. I agree with Al on comparisons. You could probably relate to any flashlights sive by using a Mini-Mag or Mag 3D.

Do you happen to have a new Stinger flashlight? I am wondering if it is partially or totally stipled. The old ones were smooth but they have upgraded and I hear you can defocus it to the wide setting without getting a black hole (to a point, of course).

By the way, I have that same camera and love the zoom. 30X or so? I have not seen any other digital cameras that size with that high zoom.

bmsmith

Enlightened
I got caught up on other tasks last night after the first post. Tonight I plan to post some more stuff.

And.. Wow, thanks for the kind words about the 2 pics so far. You guys are awesome and easy to please!!

LEDagent, I just got the XT/HP from TTS/Craig Fund a couple weeks ago actually, so I haven't used it much at all. Unfortunately my line of work (software engineering) doesn't lend itself to using lights much, so they get little "real use". Sad, I know. It's funny that you and Ratso have the same camera. I like mine a lot, although sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have image stabilization for the high zoom shots. It's very easy for me to take blurry pictures at high zoom unless the lighting is pretty good. Ok, back on topic...

Bart, thanks for the suggestion. In the near future I probably will use Imagestation. I'm using a secondary account for the images that has 10MB of free space and no download limits that I can find in the terms of service, but for the resize convenience and for making it easier to load the pics here for you guys on modem, I will switch to it soon. I'm being lazy right now. Please forgive me.

Ratso, I'll post pics for you to answer your questions.
smile.gif

- Brian

bmsmith

Enlightened
Ok, more as promised.

Here is the nameplate on the Stinger XT/HP that owns the partially dimpled reflector shown in my first post.
PA310577.JPG

Here is the tactical tail switch on the same XT/HP. Press lightly for tactical use or press fully for constant-on.
PA310582.JPG

This is the smooth(?) reflector on the Ultrastinger. No dimples here, although slight texturing exists on the whole surface.
PA310583.JPG

And here is the nameplate and switch on the Ultrastinger.
PA310585.JPG

Next I will post some shots of the Combo xenon, LED, CCFL light I got from Gadgetbabe.com.

bmsmith

Enlightened
Here are some shots of the "Favour Light" I got recently. It's a nice 3 in 1 light that uses 4 AA batteries.

Left side showing logo.
PA310586.JPG

Top view showing CCFL section.
PA310587.JPG

Right side. The blue stick is a pen I used to prop the light up.
PA310588.JPG

The tailcap lanyard hole.
PA310589.JPG

The front bezel unassembled. The spring pushes the reflector out as the bezel unscrews. It sort of works.
PA310590.JPG

The main xenon bulb and LED circuit board.
PA310591.JPG

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Favour Light is very nice, reminds me of my ArcWhite except for the addition of the leds. From where is this available?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the reflector you show in the ultrastinger is a course stipled "orangepeel" reflector.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by LEDagent:
...I wanted the US because of it's reach, not its beam quality. I find that Surefire lights do not give me the "reach" i'm looking for.....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">LEDagent,

The "turbohead" SF's will supply that. The M3T, or the relatively "inexpensive" 9P with SRTH Turbohead and N2 lamp, which will just about match the US but in a much ameller, lighter package. The US will give you a longer bright runtime for considerably less $ since it is rechargeable. (NiCAD)

Brightnorm

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
yes, the orangepeels are usually slightly coarser, but this perticular reflector is leaning more towards the orangepeel than the smooth.

also, do you have any shots of the business end of the favour light with the top piece on? it does look like a rather nice light.

bmsmith

Enlightened
Rothrandir,

Yup, I forgot to post a shot of the main reflector of the Favour Light. It's made of plastic and has a smooth finish. The LEDs poke through it.
PB010593.JPG

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
that is nice, i like the fact that the leds go through it, i didn't see any holes on the other pictures so i was worried that they might be outside the reflector. do you have any beamshots? i am curious to see what the leds do when they are arranged like that. where did you get this and how much? this is a light i would seriously consider, if you have any additional comments or info about it, please, let us all know.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi...just one quick question about the Ultrastinger and the Stinger XT.

bmsmith, with the XT tailcap unscrew from the barrel? If so, i'm wondering if it will fit on the barrel of the Ultrastinger.

bmsmith

Enlightened
LEDagent,

Yes the XT's tailcap will unscrew from the barrel and it will fit the Ultrastinger, but it doesn't do anything.

The reason: The Ultrastinger's battery has a cardboard insulator on the bottom-most cell of the pack. The XT's battery pack has an exposed negative contact on the bottom-most cell. The XT's tailcap switch has a spring that makes contact with the bottom cell to complete the circuit. So when you screw the XT tailcap onto the Ultrastinger the spring doesn't make contact with the battery. The normal US switch works normally and the XT switch does nothing at all.

I don't know if removing the cardboard insulator would work either. I can't tell if the US uses the barrel as part of the circuit (like Mags do) since both battery contacts are at the top of the light. The battery pack contact design on the US is a little weird and makes creating a homemade pack a bother.

The XT's tailcap is larger in diameter than the Ultrastinger's barrel and tailcap.

If you would like pics to illustrate what I'm talking about here, let me know and I'll post some.

- Brian

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
OH YES PLEASE! Pictures are always nice.
wink.gif

It looks like i have to buy both lights and see if i can slightly mod the Ultrastinger to accept the XT tailcap. Ahh..but if only i had the money.