itp a3 eos buzzing on medium

nasa779

Newly Enlightened
ive had the light for a few days and i just noticed a buzzing sound only when its on medium

its the black eos upgrade

anyone else have this issue?

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's inductor whine, from the driver. Lot's of lights have this issue. It's no big deal.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or rather, it's no big deal unless it's loud enough to drive you crazy. In that case, see about exchanging it, it's a bit of a lottery on how high the whine will be; I haven't been seeing a lot of reports of obnoxious inductor whine on the ITPs, so you might've gotten a bad one. Or else you're just blessed with particularly good hearing.

ky70

Banned
Is the buzzing related to Pulse Width Modulation (I thought I read that somewhere) or is it a coincidence that my A3 buzzes in low and medium modes but not in high mode (I believe PWM happens in low/medium but not high on the A3).

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the buzzing and the tone of the buzzing is the drivers PWM, i have it quite high pitched on medium and quieter and lower pitched on low mode.

nasa779

Newly Enlightened
Is the buzzing related to Pulse Width Modulation (I thought I read that somewhere) or is it a coincidence that my A3 buzzes in low and medium modes but not in high mode (I believe PWM happens in low/medium but not high on the A3).

ok thats what i assumed i just thought it was something breaking lol

why does it only do it on medium instead of all of them, unless the frequency is lower then what a human can hear or unless the led is running directly off of the AA when its on high

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok thats what i assumed i just thought it was something breaking lol

why does it only do it on medium instead of all of them, unless the frequency is lower then what a human can hear or unless the led is running directly off of the AA when its on high

Nope, the voltage still has to be stepped up to meet the forward voltage of the LED. More than likely it is just a pitch that is beyond the range of the human ear, at that point.

ky70

Banned
That too bad you got a squeeker. I have bought 5 of these for gifts, tested all of them and none had that problem.

I'd send it back for replacement, this is not a commonly reported problem on these lights.

I don't know if it's a "problem" as I do recall reading of others discussing this issue but like you said, I don't know if it's a common issue. The sound is very low and I have to be in a completely quiet setting to even notice or I have to put it up to ear. I'm at work now (in an office setting) and with the normal sounds of work around me (including central air blowing) I almost can't hear it...even with it up to my ear.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
i have gifted and sold alot of them to my friends also.. (6 i think)

kept two myself.. the natural colored one is silent. totally.
the SS one that i originally bought for myself to edc is loud buzzer.

actually the SS was silent originally but then it started to make buzz sound.

so now the natural one hangs with my work keychain.
and the SS is just sitting pretty on top of my tv in case i need to pick up a very small light to my pocket when popping out to take the trash etc.

i tried to open the pill in the SS to swap the modules between the lights but i coulndt get it broken loose. the natural one was easy but i screwed it back in as the SS wouldnt budge.

if it buzzes return it to vendor if possible and ask for new silent one.