Amp draw numbers for 2-cell lithium powered lights

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's some revised amperage readings from most of the 2 Cr-123 powered lights. I didn't get voltage readings due to a meter problem (dead batteries):

1. Streamlight TL-2: 1.22A (same bulb that's used in the Scorpion)
2. Streamlight TT-2: .64A
3. Xenergy 2 cell: .94A
4. Legend LX: 1.20A
5. ASP Triad: 1.18A
6. TACM: 1.12A
7. Pel. M6: 1.22A

SUREFIRE:
--E2: 1.05A
--E-series LOLA: .50A
--P60: 1.11A
--P61: 2.27A
--A2: 1.50A

--dan

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Amp draw numbers for 2-cell lithium powered li

Good data, thanks. Any idea why the A2 uses so much more current than the E2, P60, etc.? It's not brighter.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast

Since the A2 is regulated, I'd say that is why - the regulator circuit itself uses up a small amount of power, depending on its efficiency.

Graham

paulr

Flashaholic

The regulator in an A2 should be extremely efficient, like 95% or better. So something is wrong.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is it as high as 95%? I haven't seen any data on this, so have to admit ignorance.

Is there any info documenting the efficiency?

The other thing is that it will depend on the battery state - the regulator will draw more current from the batteries as they get used, in order to maintain the same output level. But I would assume Dan used fresh batteries..

Graham

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used two sets of cells: one pair of Surefire's and one pair of Toshibas. I swapped between the pair to limit heat-up, etc. Both sets were brand new. Each bulb was ran only long enough to get a stable reading on my voltmeter.

--dan

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Good data, thanks. Any idea why the A2 uses so much more current than the E2, P60, etc.? It's not brighter.

[/ QUOTE ]

While this may indeed be true, you'd never be able to detect it by eye. Even in a straight up side by side A/B test it would be very hard if not impossible to detect such a small relative change. It would need to be carefully measured, and probably several individual lights of each type measured (to eliminate indivudual variances) I should think.

And I'm not at all sure about 95% efficiency. If so, they should quit the flashilght business and go into the power supply business full time.....

Or so I see it.

Doug Owen