best, brightest, cheap light?

american

Enlightened
what do you guys think?. i wanted the terralux 220 but its on back order every where for at least a month. i wanna keep it under 50 bucks. i can go a few dollars above that if i need to but lets keep it cheap. im really disapointd the terralux is on backorder at so many places online. so any other good cheaper lights? no cr123 battery lights though. i mostly want 2xaa. thanks in advance guys.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to annoy you so sorry :D I have the Terralux Lightstar 100 and it is really is a nice light and in the UK the one you want is in stock.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix LD20. If you want something that will shine relatively far, get the Q5 version. If you want maximum output, at the expense of throw, get the new R4 model. I have the Q5, and it is an extremely good deal. Very durable, and very useful. I would suggest you use Lithium batteries in it, if you plan to use turbo alot. The current draw could be high enough to increase the risk of an alkaline cell leaking. Besides, when I was using alky's in mine, I got maybe 20/25 minutes out of a set of Duracells, before they went dead, slightly longer with Energizer. With lithiums (Energizer Ultimate AA) I'm getting much, much longer runtimes. And, while Energizer Lithiums are more expensive, I figure they're cheaper than replacing the light when (not if) an alkaline leaks in it.

american

Enlightened
they are out of stock at those places too. the manufacturer has to catch up with all the orders. any nice lights for around 30 bucks like the terralux? i dont need the light to be built real well i just need it bright

american

Enlightened
do you think the Romisen RC-N3 CREE Q5 LED is better or the terralux 180 lumen? the romisen rcn3 claims to be 210 lumens for 23 bucks.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, i would say that the romisen RC-N3 is better, the new shiningbeam model with the updated driver should be close to a real 210 lumens, something i dont think the terralux can beat.

And yes that skyray is a good light, but the OP was specifically asking for an AA light, not an 18650, that is a completely different topic. In my view the new Romisen RC-N3 from shiningbeam is by far your best option for the money, if you buy it i really cant see you being dissapointed :thumbsup:

notsofast

Enlightened
they are out of stock at those places too. the manufacturer has to catch up with all the orders. any nice lights for around 30 bucks like the terralux? i dont need the light to be built real well i just need it bright

I have 2 Terralux TLF3C2AA 220 lumens new in package. PM me if you are interested.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry if im getting slightly annoyed but will people please stop posting about lights that are irrelevant and use a completely different battery chemistry to the one being requested, there is a massive difference between buying an AA light and investing in a whole new Li-ion charging setup!

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol, redforest, that's a great suggestion.

but I'm slightly irked at this thread --
define best.

from what I've read, quality can be skimped over for a brighter light.. and you want it to run on AAs, no?

that being said, I should probably introduce you to the problem with brightness ratings with cheaper lights.

Brightness ratings are constantly overrated, and this is especially so with cheaper lights. For all you know, a romisen "180" lumen light may be much brighter than a ultrafire "300" lumen light: you have the problem with emitter ratings, OTF (out the front) ratings, and made-up-on-the-spot ratings.

edit: eagletac p100a2, 176.9 lumens OTF tested.

my_O_my

Banned
And yes that skyray is a good light, but the OP was specifically asking for an AA light, not an 18650, that is a completely different topic.

My bad :sigh:

I made sure I read the question all the way through, and I still missed that! I would not have recommended the Skyray if I had seen that the first time around. Sorry for that american.

I cant say how bright the RC-N3 Q5 is, I have the Q3 version, and I'd say it's about 90 lumens as compared to a Surefire P60 (considering ~80 lumens as measured for P60)

Very well made, versatile light though for the price, even if it isn't a barn burner!

Latest posts