Malkoff 9P drop-in selection?

tsmccull

Newly Enlightened
If you wanted a drop-in for room clearing/bump-in-the-night investigations using a Surefire 9P host, which would be preferred: the M61, M60F or M60 MC-E? Runtime isn't critical, since even the shortest, the MC-E, will go for 45 minutes on 2 CR123s and the 9P has a third for even more time. I'm just concerned that the MC-E might be too bright. I have a 4 CR123 host on order so that I have the option of using 2 18650s for this project, as long as I don't try to drive the 61 or 60F with 12volts from primaries. Thanks for any recommendations.

Last edited:

benh

Newly Enlightened
The MC-E makes a room sized wall of light and should be pretty outstanding for house clearing. Everything is simply lit up.

I have both a M61 and an M60 MC-E. I think I would prefer the M61 for more generalized use, and for any kind of a social situation that might require some throw, but inside my house, the MC-E is king.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MC-E makes a room sized wall of light and should be pretty outstanding for house clearing. Everything is simply lit up.

I have both a M61 and an M60 MC-E. I think I would prefer the M61 for more generalized use, and for any kind of a social situation that might require some throw, but inside my house, the MC-E is king.

Exactly, the MC-E creates a wall of light that will flood rooms, hallways, basements etc.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
MCE Would blind ya in the middle of the night from pitch dark IMO.

I would go with a M60WLF, plenty of light, and plenty bright. Its whats next to my gun in my gun safe. :cool:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M60F is light flood lighting in your hands...compared to the relatively equally priced M60/M60L. Can't speak for the MC-E, but of the 3, the M60F would be my go to light.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you wanted a drop-in for room clearing/bump-in-the-night investigations using a Surefire 9P host, which would be preferred: the M61, M60F or M60 MC-E? Runtime isn't critical, since even the shortest, the MC-E, will go for 45 minutes on 2 CR123s and the 9P has a third for even more time. I'm just concerned that the MC-E might be too bright. I have a 4 CR123 host on order so that I have the option of using 2 18650s for this project, as long as I don't try to drive the 61 or 60F with 12volts from primaries. Thanks for any recommendations.

I can't speak to the MC-E but for your purpose, between the other two, the M60F would be strongly preferred to the otherwise exceptional M61. The M60F has better, brighter spill inside at the distances typical of in-structure use.

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
My "light up a whole room" light is a 9P with a M60F drop-in. There is no hotspot, per se, just a diffuse wall of bright light that lights up an entire room, including all the nooks and crannies. It runs great on two AW 17500 rechargeable batteries, and is my "go to" light for most anything indoors. It's not so bright as to be painful to the eyes, but definitely bright enough for room clearing.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to say, that for indoor illumination in the dead of night without blinding yourself, the M60F or optional "warm" is the optimum choice. With no hot spot to come glaring back at yourself it makes for some very useful illumination indoors. I would choose that over the M60 or any Low powered module options. I gave my wife the M60WF in a Malkoff MD3 with the 2 mode switch ring. She reads her books at night in bed with it on low.

The MD3 with 2 mode ring is a better way to go than the SF 9P.

The MCE in a MD3 or 4 with the 2 mode ring gives you more options. Very bright but smooth even illumination on high (the warm mode unit is very nice for what I would call softer on the eyes illumination) and you have the low mode. Low mode may not be enough for room clearing but you can use it for "waking your self up and getting accustomed to the light while searching for your pants and anti house break in tools. then shift over to high mode for search mode.

If I only had to have one for indoor use it would be the M60WF (which I can steal back from the wife).

If you are staying inside a SF9P with no high/low adjustment, the M60F or WF is a great way to go.

pwatcher

Enlightened
OK, I'm a Malkoff junkie, but for OP's stated purpose where run time isn't an issue, I don't think you can go wrong with the 9P's factory incan bulb, the P90, or if you really want to blind an intruder, the P91. Lumen Factory also makes replacement bulbs for this light.

If you insist on LED though, for primarily room clearing, I'd get one of Malkoff's warm floods. There are still a dozen or so M60WF showing in stock on Malkoff.com, or you could try to save a few $ by placing a WTB over in CPF marketplace.

From Malkoff, if you live in U.S., you're looking at $55 (less CPF discount) + shipping ($8).

But I still think the stock lamp assembly in the 9P, or the upgraded P91, is a viable consideration!

:welcome:

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
How big are the rooms?

For my house, a flood oriented light is perfect.

For my Dad's house, the kitchen, living room, and dining room are all connected and mostly open to each other. A floody beam may work for any single room, but if you are coming out of the bedrooms and need to shine across the living room, dining room, and into the corner of the kitchen (with the living room and dining room having 12 ft ceilings), the flood may not be ideal.

Personally, I like the M61 with the dual level ring. You get good coverage, can cover distance if needed, and have a lower level to boot.

"...anti house break in tools..." I like that!

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
This: "indoor illumination in the dead of night without blinding yourself" is a good point. I was fiddling around the other night with an M6/3x17670/HO-M6R and reflections from near-distance objects were really an issue.

Last night I was comparing three E-series lights with a KL4 (original type), KX2c and M61 to a C2/M60F. For indoor illumination such as the OP seeks, I would give a slight edge to the M60F followed closely by the no-longer-available original KL4. For outdoor or mixed indoor/outdoor use, I would come out differently.

I have to say, that for indoor illumination in the dead of night without blinding yourself, the M60F or optional "warm" is the optimum choice. With no hot spot to come glaring back at yourself it makes for some very useful illumination indoors. I would choose that over the M60 or any Low powered module options. I gave my wife the M60WF in a Malkoff MD3 with the 2 mode switch ring. She reads her books at night in bed with it on low.

The MD3 with 2 mode ring is a better way to go than the SF 9P.

The MCE in a MD3 or 4 with the 2 mode ring gives you more options. Very bright but smooth even illumination on high (the warm mode unit is very nice for what I would call softer on the eyes illumination) and you have the low mode. Low mode may not be enough for room clearing but you can use it for "waking your self up and getting accustomed to the light while searching for your pants and anti house break in tools. then shift over to high mode for search mode.

If I only had to have one for indoor use it would be the M60WF (which I can steal back from the wife).

If you are staying inside a SF9P with no high/low adjustment, the M60F or WF is a great way to go.

tsmccull

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like the voting is tending toward the 60F variants more than the MC-E. I notice that's about half the price also, so that may be another thing in favor of the 60Fs. Sounds like the warm versions are being recommended over the others too.

benh

Newly Enlightened
I can't honestly say that I've had too many issues with being blinded by the MC-E at night. The flood is so smooth that I haven't really had hotspot issues with near field reflective surfaces.

But I also don't own an M60F, so I can't really speak to how it'd work. The argument that it's half the cost of an MC-E is pretty compelling. You could probably get the M60F and if it didn't work out for you, sell it and recover most of your outlay.

Man, now I think I may want to buy one myself.