Surefire E2 Led Upgrade

imgadgetman

Newly Enlightened
I searched on google and here but the only upgrade I seem to be able to find for the E2 is Surefire's LEDs. I love the size of this flashlight but would like to see what else is available. Thanks for your help. imgadgetman

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are you interested in and what is your budget like?

I personally EDC a SF E2e stock (MN03) but have messed around with some upgrades for it (Surefire LED heads and other options.) I was looking at picking up a KX2C but yikes! $135! Might as well just buy a E2D LED for $30 more ($165.)

Some of the options below are cheaper and offer more versatility.

I have never been a fan of rechargables but do respect their place (Tigerlights, 18650 cells, and IMR 16340 cells are in some of my desk lights) but I remain hooked on CR123's due to me not really using much of them and if the logic is I am stuck in a dark hole (ie NYC transit) I rather have spares available, not so easy with a rechargable light.

Some upgrades I have done are just straight impractical for EDC (incandescent guy at heart, more on this below.)

So lets start from the top, Malkoff Devices (www.malkoffdevices.com). Their light engines are just amazing. I have a M60 and prefer it over the M61. The M61 has more light output but has a bigger hot spot meaning less throw than a M60 (tighter hotspot) but that is also the M60 being an optic and the M61 being a reflector.

The Malkoff drop ins (M60 and M30 series for the E1e) can be put on a E series light with the VME head. You may also use a e2c adaptor and mount the drop in with a classic 1.25" SF head.

Another option is to skip the e2c and e series all together and buy a 6P light and a Malkoff drop in. $62 for a 6P and $59 for a M61, thats $121! Still cheaper than the $135 KX2C.

While "Lego'ing" with my E2e, I had a SF turbo head laying around (KT1) and threw it on the E2e with N1 bulb, short slim body and a 2.25" head is just front heavy but a heck of a throw light. Right now that head sits on a dspeck ubh (3 X CR123) e series body running a MN16 (SF's 225 lumen high bulb for their M3T.) Is it practical? nope. I call it a straw in an orange. But this opens up some stuff you can try if you get an e2c adaptor (got mine from TNC.) Basically lets you mount Surefire classic line bezels onto your E2e.

I hope I didn't confuse you, lol.
Jason

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent post. Here's the short version. :D Do what I did: buy the Malkoff VME head and one of the M60/M61-series drop-ins. They're not cheap, it will set you back about $100, but you will have a truly outstanding and compact light. The M61 is out of stock currently but will be back soon (we hope). :twothumbs

What are you interested in and what is your budget like?

I personally EDC a SF E2e stock (MN03) but have messed around with some upgrades for it (Surefire LED heads and other options.) I was looking at picking up a KX2C but yikes! $135! Might as well just buy a E2D LED for $30 more ($165.)

Some of the options below are cheaper and offer more versatility.

I have never been a fan of rechargables but do respect their place (Tigerlights, 18650 cells, and IMR 16340 cells are in some of my desk lights) but I remain hooked on CR123's due to me not really using much of them and if the logic is I am stuck in a dark hole (ie NYC transit) I rather have spares available, not so easy with a rechargable light.

Some upgrades I have done are just straight impractical for EDC (incandescent guy at heart, more on this below.)

So lets start from the top, Malkoff Devices (www.malkoffdevices.com). Their light engines are just amazing. I have a M60 and prefer it over the M61. The M61 has more light output but has a bigger hot spot meaning less throw than a M60 (tighter hotspot) but that is also the M60 being an optic and the M61 being a reflector.

The Malkoff drop ins (M60 and M30 series for the E1e) can be put on a E series light with the VME head. You may also use a e2c adaptor and mount the drop in with a classic 1.25" SF head.

Another option is to skip the e2c and e series all together and buy a 6P light and a Malkoff drop in. $62 for a 6P and $59 for a M61, thats $121! Still cheaper than the $135 KX2C.

While "Lego'ing" with my E2e, I had a SF turbo head laying around (KT1) and threw it on the E2e with N1 bulb, short slim body and a 2.25" head is just front heavy but a heck of a throw light. Right now that head sits on a dspeck ubh (3 X CR123) e series body running a MN16 (SF's 225 lumen high bulb for their M3T.) Is it practical? nope. I call it a straw in an orange. But this opens up some stuff you can try if you get an e2c adaptor (got mine from TNC.) Basically lets you mount Surefire classic line bezels onto your E2e.

I hope I didn't confuse you, lol.
Jason

imgadgetman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies and info. I have to find my E2 as I bought it some years ago and do not know where it is. I tried to buy some upgrades for my old 3P, 6P and 9P that I bought in the late 80's or early 90's and they did not fit. Imgadgetman