Romisen RC-G2 with XP-G R5?

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone modded their G2 with a XP-G R5? I got a G2 from Shiningbeam and I messed up the emitter, I was thinking of just replacing the emitter, not the emitter with board. But the size of the emitter of the Q5 is dfferent from the R5. Can I just remove the emitter and replace it with the new one? Thanks.

Last edited:

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't but I know the XP-G could be difficult in some XR-E reflectors. It's worth a try though if you want to be the first.

An XP-E might not be a bad replacement either. If it's the model without the upgraded driver an R3 XP-E wouldn't be a bad replacement if you can find one.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been over a year now and I came across another RC-G2 Q5 XRE. I want to put a xp-g NW in it and wondering did someone already done that. If so, does the xr-e reflector work okay with the xp-g? Can I just replace the current star/emitter with a xp-g 16mm star? Thanks.

ranger07

Newly Enlightened
I just modded one with the 900ma shiningbeam driver, and a 3D tint R4 XPG. The reflector works great with the XPG, but I had to cut a tiny bit off of the bottom of the reflector to get a little tighter focus. Still has good throw and a bright hot spot, with a nice wide spill.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just modded one with the 900ma shiningbeam driver, and a 3D tint R4 XPG. The reflector works great with the XPG, but I had to cut a tiny bit off of the bottom of the reflector to get a little tighter focus. Still has good throw and a bright hot spot, with a nice wide spill.

How do you cut a tiny bit off the bottom of the reflector? It's aluminum.

ranger07

Newly Enlightened
You do not need a lathe to take a little off the reflector, sandpaper or a file will work fine. It still had a good beam even without taking any off, but I wanted to try to get it a little tighter.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ranger07,

I just got confirmation from shiningbeam that the stock reflector is not compatible with XPG.

A few questions for you regarding the driver and reflector.

Is it sku: 1406?
What's the runtime with a eneloop on 900ma?
It's 14mm, how did you make it fit a RC-G2?
How does the beam look from a XP-G and the stock G2 reflector?

Last edited:

ranger07

Newly Enlightened
That is the driver, it presses in the bottom of the stock pill after you take out the stock driver. Runtime is about 30 min on high from what I have seen. This is not measured just an estimate. It will run at least 2 hours on low, as I did this the other night. Beam is very similar to my quark mini123 but has a little more throw. Just did one tonight with the 1406 driver and an R2 XRE. Throws great for a small light. I have one with an xpg from shiningbeam, does not have much different beam than the one I built, although the pill/reflector is a little different.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Ranger07,

I am going to give it a try. I think I am just going to swap the led because I have the DX7880 driver, which is pretty good from the reviews. So I am keeping that driver.

ranger07

Newly Enlightened
You should be fine, just have to play with the focus a little. If I get a chance ill take pics of the hotspots and send them to you, not much difference in the beams from mine to the one I bought with the xpg.

Latest posts