Keychain carry

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, I've been considering the Firefly, but am having problems in justification. It's smaller in diameter than an Arc LS but longer (when the LS has the twistpack). I don't know how much heavier one is than the other; I can't believe there could be that much difference in weight. So, as I already have an LS, I am trying it on my keychain. I had made the assumption that it was too big, but am coming to change my mind. Anyone else EDC their LS on their keychain? I just figure if I was willing to carry a Firefly, why not the LS? It isn't that much more prohibitive (it would be with the clickie). The LS seems to have several advantages going for it (one of which is that I have the LSHP version). But, if I got the Firefly, I would no longer need the Arc as the Firefly would be a 1W LS I always have with me. What to do? I can appreciate the quality that is going into the Firefly and is already in the Arc.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a BP Mini-Clip on my LSH. I use the clip to suspend the light at the top of my pocket. I keep 3 keychains, one is for the car, one is for the house, and one doesn't leave the house. The one for the car is nothing but the remote, a small chain, and the key. The house keychain is a BP mini-clip on a small split ring with an Inova or Photon mini-light, the house key, and my office key. I can only stand the bare minimum on my keychain. I tried an Arc AAA, but even that was too big.

When my FireFly comes, it's getting a Royal Blue LD-LS, so I won't be as inclined to carry it every day, but when I get an R2H that may change. The FireFly is so small.

paulr

Flashaholic
I've been agonizing about whether to get a Firefly. I've been carrying an Arc LS with the 123 TSP on a very small keyring and it's been working out fine, but a small change in flashlight size really makes a big difference in how it feels. I have a Tekna Splash-lite which is a plastic incandescent 1x123 light about the size of a Firefly, and it feels TINY compared with the Arc even though it's really about the same length and just 1mm or so thinner. It helps that it weighs a lot less. With a bigger keychain (more than 2 or 3 keys), I think carrying the Arc LS on it would not work nearly as well).

JOshooter

Enlightened
I used to carry an Arc LS with me but that was until I received an Arc AAA, the AAA may use less power but it is smaller and a little easier to carry. Who knows I may end up with both in my EDC.

RY3

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
external said:
Anyone got a picture of the Firefly?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is in the Firefly thread, the "original" - not exactly the Firefly...
fba38d66.jpg

fbb0bd65.jpg

paulr

Flashaholic
I like a keychain with a bit of heft, makes it easy to find in my pocket and so forth. The heft can either come from a bunch of keys and an Arc AAA, or just a few keys and a larger light (Arc LS).

brightnorm

Flashaholic
The ARC AAA pushes my keychain envelope and anything larger in any dimension is unacceptable. I'm not convinced of the FireFly's utility because of its relatively short runtime, which is why I belt carry my LSH-P in AA (LITH) configuration which gives me a full 5hrs regulated runtime plus non-regulated dimmer light. It just fits into a tiny MAG AAA holster which is remarkably thin and almost unnoticeable with dark pants. I do a slight mod which takes less than a minute and requires only a scissors.

Of course this is my personal preference which may have no relevance for others.

Brightnorm

paulr

Flashaholic
Lithium AA's will give long runtime but are way more expensive per hour than lithium 123's at current prices. You're better off with a Firefly or Arc+1x123 pack and a couple of spare 123's. Total pocket space used should be less than the Arc+2AA pack.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Lithium AA's will give long runtime but are way more expensive per hour than lithium 123's at current prices. You're better off with a Firefly or Arc+1x123 pack and a couple of spare 123's. Total pocket space used should be less than the Arc+2AA pack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paulr,

Excellent point. My feeling is that if I'm in an unpredictable situation long uninterrupted runtime could make an important difference, though I like the battery commonality with my other EDC lights afforded by ARC 123 or Firefly 123.

Do you know the fully regulated runtime of the Firefly and whether it becomes too hot to hold during extended runtime?

brightnorm

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Arc doesn't if you're holding it in your hand. It's really only if you set it down for 10-15 on a countertop or something that it gets really hot. No idea on the Firefly.

paulr

Flashaholic
I think the Firefly is similar to the Arc--it depends on your hand for heat sinking, and can run indefinitely if you hold it. It will use a Madmax so you can adjust the current. At 1 watt expect the usual 2 hours or so from one 123. I wouldn't worry about uninterrupted runtime. If you carry several lights, you should be able to switch to another light while changing batteries in the first one. I do like the idea of a light that can stand on its own and doesn't need you to hold it to keep it cool. The McLux is great for that--good thermal design, stands on end, and has tripod holes so you can even mount it on a mini-tripod to point in whatever direction you like.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I must have missed the class about the light staying cooler when grasped in the hand..I would think it would stay cooler in the free air.
How does it stay cooler wrapped up in the insulation of your 98 degree F. hand??

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Gransee pointed out, your hand acts as "liquid cooling" when the temp of the light tries to go higher than that of the hand holding it. Your circulation keeps the temp down to manageable levels. He was using this in the LS3.

paulr

Flashaholic
See the instructions for the Arc LS for details. Basically your hand is a very efficient liquid cooling system that transfers heat away from the flashlight. If left in open air, the flashlight will quickly heat up to 150 degrees or even hotter. Holding it in your hand keeps it cooled down to 98 F or thereabouts.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the info guys! I thought of that, but was incredulous of myself -- that is so cool, so to speak, relatively speaking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

( has anyone measured the rise in body temperature of the LS holder?
a good thing on cold nights, but not so on warm nights, I imagine? )