Fishing headlamp?

BennyLava

Newly Enlightened
The first thing you might think when asked about a good headlamp for fishing, is to just go to wal-mart and grab whatever is on the shelf. But

1. I am not the type of person to do that, I research everything first, and

2. I have learned that doing that just wastes money on unsatisfactory junk lol.

Here are my requirements for the fishing headlamp.

1. It needs to be LED. For heat reasons, and battery life reasons. Sometimes I like to fish for 8 hours at a time, and battery life may become a factor.

2. It needs to be at least somewhat bright, with a half decent throw. When casting your lure at night, it is sometimes difficult to tell where it is going, unless you are fishing a quiet pond under a full moon with no wind.

3. It needs to be ergonomic, and not too uncomfortable, with a strap that won't cause you to sweat a whole lot. As we all know, when you are wearing a headlamp for that long comfort becomes a factor. And these texas summer nights can get pretty warm heh. :wave:

So anyway, which headlamp would you recommend for this job? Thanks for reading, and I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Gazerbeam

Newly Enlightened
The Princeton Tec Apex Pro and Eos are my favorite fishing headlamps, I usually take both. The new 70 lumen Eos should be quite a thrower, I have the old 45 lumen model it's a great little headlamp, easy to use, comfortable to wear and seems to run for ever on energizer AAA lithium's. If you want to shell out more coin and get a better quality and tougher headlamp look at the Surefire Saint Minimus.

niran

Newly Enlightened
I've used headlamps when fishing and it attracks bugs to the light. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

BennyLava

Newly Enlightened
Yeah that was something I left out of my OP lol. The dang bugs heh.

Well one thing I have noticed, is that those yellow bug lights actually work. For me, they do a darn fine job. I am referring to those outdoor lights, that you might install in your front porch's light fixture. They are very yellow, and very few bugs come to them. So perhaps I could get a yellow LED headlamp? You would think that the industry would be aware of the problem, and produce them. Or perhaps I could buy the EOS, and modify it by replacing the LED with the exact same LED, only in yellow color?

EDIT

Here is the one I want, but it only says 5 lumens. Didn't someone say that there is a 70 lumens model?

Last edited:

cornflake

Newly Enlightened
I fish with my headlamp all the time. The one I use is the cheapie Brinkmann 1w light. Since I only turn on the light when I try to land a fish or put on new bait, never really have problem with bugs. I have been told that bass can be sensitive to light, so far it has been true for me.

Gazerbeam

Newly Enlightened
Hi cornflake! :welcome: You're exactly right, several species of fresh and salt water fish are notoriously light shy.