KD DRIVERS: 2.8a vs 3.0a

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
I am in the middle of a Mag mod. I have purchased everything except for the driver, the actual Maglite, and batteries. I've been browsing KD, DX, and CPFM. I just want to run a single P7. But I don't know what driver to get, nor do I know what batteries to get. I know you should decide on batteries when you get your driver.

I've been looking at this one on KD

http://kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=6386

Its output is 3 amps. Is that a bad thing? Because I thought P7 LED's can only handle 2.8 amps. It also says its input voltage is 5.5v, in order to achieve such a voltage I would have to run 4 alkaline cells or 5 nickel metal hydride cells. Is there a driver that has a low imput voltage? Like at 3.5 volts? I want to be able to use rechargeable's.

What I want out of my Mag mod is 700-900 lumens, 3 modes (hi-med-low), and a relatively long and consistant run time. But I don't want to break the bank and get li-ion C cells :broke:. If you have any suggestion please post links, I want to buy this tonight.

ALL help is greately appreciated! :cool:

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/168062

8x7135 driver.

This is what I would use... just note that you will have to tap the Mag's switch through the modes and only do a full click once you are at the mode you want to lock it at.

3*NiMH batteries or 1*Li-Ion cell are what I would recommend. Max voltage input is ~6V but much more voltage than the Vf of the LED is just wasted power. 3 NiMH or 1 Li-ion may drop out of regulation towards the end of their charge (depends on Vf of the LED) but you likely won't even notice this... It's a fairly efficient setup, it's not far off a direct drive setup, but it has PWM dimming and the driver restricts your max amperage to 2.8A, where it would otherwise peak higher with the batteries fresh off the charger.

I'd personally go for a 2C or 3C Mag; 2C with a spacer for 1 Li-Ion or 3C for 3 NiMH. If you want more runtime though then go for a 3D Mag with NiMH cells.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am in the middle of a Mag mod. I have purchased everything except for the driver, the actual Maglite, and batteries. I've been browsing KD, DX, and CPFM. I just want to run a single P7. But I don't know what driver to get, nor do I know what batteries to get. I know you should decide on batteries when you get your driver.

I've been looking at this one on KD

http://kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=6386

Its output is 3 amps. Is that a bad thing? Because I thought P7 LED's can only handle 2.8 amps. It also says its input voltage is 5.5v, in order to achieve such a voltage I would have to run 4 alkaline cells or 5 nickel metal hydride cells. Is there a driver that has a low imput voltage? Like at 3.5 volts? I want to be able to use rechargeable's.

What I want out of my Mag mod is 700-900 lumens, 3 modes (hi-med-low), and a relatively long and consistant run time. But I don't want to break the bank and get li-ion C cells :broke:. If you have any suggestion please post links, I want to buy this tonight.

ALL help is greately appreciated! :cool:
What size Mag ?

Or are you going to cut and re-thread ?

I run a 3D mag with 9xAA REchargeables and the DX single mode driver [ 8.4v ] and so far no problems .. I also got the 5 mode driver , but as yet havent tried it .

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/168062

8x7135 driver.

This is what I would use... just note that you will have to tap the Mag's switch through the modes and only do a full click once you are at the mode you want to lock it at.

3*NiMH batteries or 1*Li-Ion cell are what I would recommend. Max voltage input is ~6V but much more voltage than the Vf of the LED is just wasted power. 3 NiMH or 1 Li-ion may drop out of regulation towards the end of their charge (depends on Vf of the LED) but you likely won't even notice this... It's a fairly efficient setup, it's not far off a direct drive setup, but it has PWM dimming and the driver restricts your max amperage to 2.8A, where it would otherwise peak higher with the batteries fresh off the charger.

I'd personally go for a 2C or 3C Mag; 2C with a spacer for 1 Li-Ion or 3C for 3 NiMH. If you want more runtime though then go for a 3D Mag with NiMH cells.

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I just bought the driver, do you have a recommendation for 3 D cell rechargeable's + charger?

What size Mag ?

Or are you going to cut and re-thread ?

I run a 3D mag with 9xAA REchargeables and the DX single mode driver [ 8.4v ] and so far no problems .. I also got the 5 mode driver , but as yet havent tried it .

I would prefer a 3D over a 3C. What exactly do you mean cut and re-thread?