Dorcy Spyder 5W LS w/modded Fraen optic - photos!

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've morphed this thread into a Dorcy Spyder mod, since the point of the Fraen mod was to complete the Spyder project... See updates & pix down the page->

I really like the Fraen optics and the way they blend light from "lesser than perfect" Luxeons. Unfortunately the early style optics have 4 nasty nubs that get in the way of your fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif What to do? Well, there are many options.

I need an optic for my Dorcy Spyder mod because the stock reflector will not focus to a tight beam with a Lambertian 5W. I have not tried the 5W SE yet, so I'm saving it. The Spyder's bezel is 7/8ths and I want to take advantage of as much of that space as possible, so the 5/8th NX-type optics just aren't going to cut it...

I decided to cut the "face" off an "elliptical" pattern Fraen that I have since I had extras in this pattern. The elliptical optic has the same finish on the bottom of the "ball and tube", so I figured that it would work.

I used a belt sander to remove the bulk of the material.

fmod.jpg

It's a slow process because the plastic heats right up and starts to melt, so take your time...

I finished the face with a mill ******* until smooth then rough polished it with 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Final polish was done using white aluminum rouge on a piece of quality bond paper (25lb). Here's a before and after. The modded optic started out exactly the same as the one on the left.

fmod1.jpg

If you look closely, you can see the single "injection spru" on both optics at about he 8 o'clock postion - with regards to the circular surface of the optic. On the stock optic, this nub is larger than the rest. On the tabless optic, it's the only one. On this modded optic, the smaller tabs were filed away leaving only the larger injection point for the mold.

And finally, here it is in the Dorcy spyder's head - a perfect fit! To the right, the emitter's installed..

fmod2.jpg

I will be posting more details AND beam shots with the new optic on a Spyder 5W mod soon - stay tuned.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

LukeK

Enlightened
Re: Modding the Fraen Optic - photos

Looks great. Nice and smooth. I look forward to beamshots. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Increadible workmanship! I look forward to seeing the pictures! I'm impressed!

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I just completed preliminary beam "lux" comparisons between unmodified, modified, & NX05 optix. All I can say is that I am VERY pleased with the results I achieved after romoving so much of the optic's frontal surface.

I took lux measurements using a power supply set at 6V / 800mA all with the same V2T emitter. The LM631 was pointed at the ceiling to measure orverall reflected light. Keep in mine that the comparison numbers are arbitrary and only usefull in this closed comparison between the 3 optics.

Stock Un-modified Fraen "Narrow/Lambertian" pattern - 16.46
Slick's "face modified" Fraen "Narrow/Lambertian - 16.18
Lumiled's NX05 unmodified optic - 15.15

The fact that very little lux was lost from removing so much of the optic's front in addition to still maintaining a perfectly smooth beam has me doing the happy dance.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

I could not take beam shotz at this point because of having both hands full using test leads to power the Luxeon for 5 second intervals to conduct the lux readings. I will post beam shots of the completed light vs. some other well know lights for some meaninful comparison.

Hey Chief it's one of these Bastid's.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
http://webs.lanset.com/ecvslick/*******.jpg
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif Seriously, I think (?) that "mill *******" it a granularity of file cut.. I have numerous files with different "labels" stamped into them like "1st cut, 2nd cut, mill *******, plasti-cut, mill western cut.....etc. Mostly I just like calling that ******* by it's name /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif heh heh.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Slick,

I am much looking forward to trying the one I got from Electrolumens along with a V3! The "junk" cleaned off of it at .875" dia in the lathe, and this one is on the back burner. Considering a BB500 Underdriver for it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif :
site1039.JPG

Larry

Wylie

Enlightened

Hi Slick,
Personally my favorite file designation would be for the Rat ******* file. That ******* designation on that file you have means it works the opposite direction as most files do, or what I call American files. I don't know why they didn't call them Asian files because it would be more fitting as to the action used with Asian tools. Kind of hard to explain but Asian folks will saw from the under side with the cutting stroke moving toward them, just the opposite of us Americans. This can end up as one of those idiosyncrasies in choosing an American let's say sawzall to an Asian manufactured sawzall. The actions of the reciprocating blade can be very different between the two. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
I guess the designation ******* could have come from people stabbing themselves with this type of file as well and I could understand the name to be very fitting in that respect. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Anyway, very clean looking work Slick! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Would you have any thoughts on the NX05s in the Micros?
I am with the thought this could be defeating the mineral glass lens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Allright, the mod is complete and I'm VERY pleased with the output of the underdriven 5W V2T.. The mod's critical parts inventory is shown below ->
fmod3.jpg

Heatsink & Luxeon mounting for this mod is as simple as it gets.. Right from the "easy bake oven" - to permanent mounting of the emitter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
fmod4.jpg

Beams shots and lux readings will be posted soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow Slick, very nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

You certainly worked magic on that lens, very fine work there. The Dorcy Spyder looks like a super host also. We don't get such nice new toys out here in the sticks to play with. Maybe in a couple months.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Looks like you've taken care of any heat with the copper slug heatsink also. Great mod!

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif And with the T Vf output should be very useful, not to mention one heck of a long "moon mode." Nice!

Larry

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

poooooor iowans /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

very nice work slick! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

jcciv

Newly Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

very *slick*

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Many Thanks for the kind words guys - I am most flattered by praise from such highly skilled modders! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

I have another photo & some numberz... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I did a comparison against an E2e with a KL1 since they are in the same neighborhood output-wise. I also checked current consumption. I tried 2 different meters, but the KL1 drew 270mA testing with either one - because I thought that it would pull more?

Spyder - 286 lux @ 210mA

E2e/KL1 - 293 lux @ 270mA

For comparison, a stock incandescent Spyder pulls ~1.27A on 75% fresh batteries..

to the eyeball:
fmod5.jpg

KL1 left - Spyder right

They are quite close, but the undriven 5W throws out a bit more usable light (in real life even though it doesn't appear to in the photo) than the 1W that uses a bit more power.. I will have to see how this plays out as the batteries deplete.. If this thing drops off too much - it's converters-ville all the way... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Other wise I hope it runs longer & brighter than a KL1 an I'll be happy (since no boost circuits are being used). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-BTW the wall the beam shots were taken on is a light tan in color.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif This V2T is as "stone white" as can be.. The KL1 doesn't have a tan corona like the wall shows it to be. The KL1's purple hotspot fools the camera into looking a lot brighter, but in real life only by a slight margin. I was limited to using this wall since the photos were taken during the day.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Slick, I recall you mentioning this mod to me in an e-mail a couple days ago, amazing that you could develop it so quickly, especially with all that manual millwork on the face of the Fraen. Very nice!

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Modding the Fraen Optic - my Conclusions..

Yes, as everyone's noted the modifications to the Fraen optic is the most difficult part of the mod, as everything else is very easy to work with. While I did use a power sander to remove the bulk of the material, I intentionally attempted to "final-finish" it without the benefit of any exotic tools. Most of the work was done with the file.. I felt that might encourage more modders to give this a try /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The great fun I had in try this for a mod was wondering what kind of performance I might get from the optic after I messed with it. My "amateur-engineering" inspection had me select the elliptical pattern optic for use in the mod since it was smooth at the bottom of the ball & tube just like the narrow pattern is. Both the medium & wide patterns have "dimples" at the bottom of the ball & tube like the face of these optics do.

What really makes me so happy about this mod (aside from a super-white emitter when under driven) is that the modified optic out performed the NX05 by such an incredible margin. It reinforces that the effort expended on modifying the optic was time (~2.5hrs ?) well spent. The final performance of this optic is on par in it's light blending capabilities from when stock, so now we know shortening it won't destroy it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

From an overall quality perspective, I am very impressed with the quality of all machining operations on the Spyder!! To me the threading and overall fit & finish are on par with some of the best that I've seen - especially at such a bargain.

The only obvious weak point that this light has is that it appears difficult to replace the lens with a glass one. The stock lens is made of some type of plastic and appears to be press-fit into the front of the bezel ring. It looks like they took care in placing an o-ring beneath the lens at the time of assembly.

I attempted to remove the lens by placing the bezel ring on the bench and using a piece of 1/2 pipe with a protective end to press outward. I leaned into it as hard as I deemed possible (without risking breakage) and stopped.. I figured that if its in there that good, it's not going to just pop out with the very small bit of pressure that locates the optic.

Having a low vF emitter was what I wanted to try for a long runner. It looks like there plenty of room for a converter - 750mA maybe? So that will be a future project. A major driver for this project is my desire to use a tabless Fraen optic in the C3 project. Unfortunately I have not heard any news on the release of the tabless narrow as of yet. I DO have a tabless medium which I plan to remove it's "facial nub" pattern. Now I know the lens material can be easily re-polished...

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

2.5hours?! wow!

i've also found that shortening optics (nx05's) don't appear to negatively affect output that much.
i even modded one to fit inside a solataire head, and it performed very well. (though i don't doubt there was significant efficiencty losses)

what brand polish do you use?

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Normally I'd use a micro-fine polish like CAM metal polish or FLITZ is good too. I decided to try something on this optic I'd never done before because I was fearful that petroleum distilates in polish might craze or otherwise harm the surface of the plastic - which I *think* is acrylic..

I polished it "dry" using a piece of ordinary (high quality) bond photocopier paper.. Then I took a stick of "white aluminum rouge" and lightly scraped a knife's blade across it to make a "talc fine" dust of it. At this moment, it would have looked VERY bad for me if cops had burst in with this white dust on a paper that's laying on a piece of plate glass! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Anyways, I just used the dry rouge on paper in a circular buffing motion. You will actually feel when it "goes totally slick" on the paper and might have to try it a couple times to determine the EXACT moment to stop. This is because the plastic actually heats up quite hot when doing this and at a certain point will be glass smooth - going more will dull it, but let it cool and buff again.

EDIT I recommend that ANY explosed areas of the optic be covered with making tape to prevent any contamination or damage from abrasive compounds!! I only leave exposed what I'm grinding on, then clean off any tape adhesive using naptha (which doesn't harm the plastic's finish).

And even tho I did most of the work with a belt sander, it still took a very long time because the plastic face heats up in just a couple seconds. Each time, you must let the surface cool, then peel off the rolled up "booger plastic". Then grind from another direction and repeat - many, many times..... I do feel that the end results made it worthwhile.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm deathly afraid of messing with optics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

you should keep a glass or bowl of water handy.
dipping the optic in the water will super-cool it.

flash....

Enlightened

I do the cold water thing with ice when using the grinder and dremel.
I'm also with CM,.. Messing with optics scares me to death.
I'm always afraid I will never get back to a clean, clear & shiny surface that I can still even live with. Guess I should take the plunge...
If I may ask, what is "white aluminum rouge on a piece of quality bond paper (25lb)" ?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif