A look inside Nuwai's 1W luxeon light (long w/ pics)

Sproing

Newly Enlightened
A look inside Nuwai\'s 1W luxeon light (long w/ pics)

A few weeks ago I picked up a new luxeon flashlight from a Brookstone store. It is a nicely finished aluminum flashlight that is similar to the Streamlight 3AA Luxeon tasklight but instead of 3AA it uses 2x123. It uses the same smooth reflector as the Streamlight 3AA and produces a nice, bright and decently long throwing. The color of the LED however is unacceptably green.. much greener than any of my other luxeon lights.

Recently I found out that Nuwai was the manufacturer of these lights and I managed to get my hands on the ALX-512L which is basically the same thing as the Brookstone light but the body is machined differently. The light arrived yesterday and I was very pleasantly surprised at how bright and white the beam was. I decided to open up the lights to see what kind of bin codes the luxeons had.

Here is a picture of the lights. 512L on the left and Brookstone LS on the right.
fba36c37.jpg

Picture of the reflector and LEDs of the two lights.
fba36c19.jpg

I heated up the bezels of the lights and used a strap wrench to remove the bezel/reflector unit. Under that you can see a metal retaining ring with a hex pattern on it. Under the ring you can see the luxeon with its star board. I didn't have the hex tool needed to take off the ring so I drilled out two holes in the rings and used a pair of pliers to unscrew them.
fba36c0b.jpg

Under the ring, the stars are mounted on top of metal discs.
fba36c21.jpg

The disc and switch assembly are not secured by anything so the whole thing can be pulled out easily. To my surprise, it looks like the lights run some kind of regulation circuit (?) where originally i thought they were just resistored.
fba36c45.jpg

I pryed off stars from the discs and found that the bin codes for the Brookstone and 512L were Q1K and R2K respectively. That explains the nasty green color of the brookstone light i have. Very surprised to see bright ranked luxeons in there (especially the R2K!). Sorry about the blurry pic.. camera just wouldn't cooperate.
fba36c4f.jpg

I think these lights have a pretty good mod potential. I was thinking maybe switch out Nuwai's circuit for a Badboy 750 and replace the metal disc/star board with a proper heatsink and 5W luxeon.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Re: A look inside Nuwai\'s 1W luxeon light (long w/ pics)

Sproing, did you do any beam shot comparisons with other 1 W LS lights? Did you, or will you, check mA's to led. R2K sounds like a decent light. Must be some kind of buck-boost circuit. Wonder if circuit is similiar to SureFire KL1.

Bill

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: A look inside Nuwai\'s 1W luxeon light (long w/

Good photos Sproing. Can you take a photo of just the reflector only (from both ends)? It is metal or plastic?

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Excellent Sproing- It looks like the Streamlight 3AA Lux someone took apart.

I "think" the original manufacturer is Favor Light Enterprises, Ltd. of Hong Kong, aka Shing Fung Metal Factory. I just received a catalog from them, included were several other catalogs from different factories. Favor had your light (the left one in the photo) in their catalog. They also had the 12 LED lantern discussed elsewhere. (some CPF's are involved in a group buy.)

Nuwai is , I think, simply a distributor of a bunch of companies in the east.

We will see more of these lights, of that I am positive.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow! I have a reel of Q2K's that are consistantly outstanding, so that R2k should kick butt!!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the styling of those lights. The left one looks like a light saber. I think it needs a 5w RB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The right one looks nice and smooth great for a pocketable light. I definalty like that some manufacters are making thier lights with a nice sculpted artistic look and not just a boring tube!!

Sproing

Newly Enlightened

I took some beamshots a few hours ago after I changed the Q1K LD in the Brookstone light. I replaced it with a very nice Q2J HD luxeon. The result was a totally white beam with a small, intense and bright hotspot with an bright even spill after that. It also outthrows all of my smaller 1W luxeon lights but I'm not sure if it will beat my elektrolumens 1W lights with 30mm optics.

Nuwai 512L w/ R2K LD (left) and Badboy400 w/Q3L
fba340df.jpg

Nuwai 512L (left) and Arc LSH-P w/ Q3J (right)
fba340c8.jpg

The hotspot of the Brookstone with the HD luxeon is smaller and more intense than the Nuwai with the LD. The throw of the HD luxeon is also noticeably further than the LD. However, to get the tightest focus, the bezel cap can't be screwed all the way down. I added an o-ring as a stopper for the bezel cap.
Nuwai 512L (left) and Brookstone w/ Q2J HD
fba340d3.jpg

The Brookstone with HD luxeon also out throws the LSH-P. Beam pattern is similar but the Arc has a "star" shape around the hotspot where the Brookstone is perfectly circular.
Arc LSH-P (left) and Brookstone LS (right)
fba340bb.jpg

SHINER

Newly Enlightened

Do we need to start warming up paypal.hehe.
Shiner.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I'd like to know the circuit they're using and how it ranks in the efficiency department. Can you read the IC marking on the 8-pin SOIC?

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice work Sproing!!

I was looking at this light several weeks ago at a local Brookstone and was generally impressed with the fit and finish of its chassis. However, I was fairly disappointed with the beam color, output and price. I even went as far as to speculate that it was an under-driven resistored flashlight. Now that this assumption has been proven incorrect, I have to reconsider my stance and add this one to my "Future Mods" list. Great work and thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Dan

P.S. Do you know a good source for R2x-R3x ranked Luxeons?
[EDIT] Never mind, I see that there are R2Hs available at the Sandwich Shoppe (though I would prefer a higher color temperature,oh well....beggars can't be choosers).

Sproing

Newly Enlightened

Dan,

I'm not sure if I am measuring it properly but it seems to be drawing about 1.32 amps. Does that sound right? What is the correct method of measuring the current draw?

I also have a few R2H coming from the Sandwich Shoppe and if they are anything like the Q2J HD I have in the Brookstone now, they should be VERY nice. The color of the Q2J is one of the whitest (if not the whitest) luxeons I have even whiter than my Q3 ranked LD lights. I really like the beam pattern and color with the HD.. can't wait till I put the R2H in there and start overdriving it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have one of the Sandwich Shoppe's R2H luxeons on a MadMax+.
It is much whiter than the two Q3L MadMax+s I have. The Q3Ls have a violet tint. I can perceive no color in the R2H.

The R2H runs head to head (in color) with my Lambda Meagaclops SE driven at 10 watts.

You will not be disappointed with the R2H from the Sandwich Shoppe.

Sproing

Newly Enlightened

Just a few more things I noticed about these lights:

- The board is attached to the switch assembly by two solder points. The circuit board is very easily removed by desoldering the two points and 3 wires which go to the LED+, LED- and ground.

- After the board is removed, it can be very easily converted to direct drive just by soldering the wires of the LED to the switch and the metal disc ground. The light is a perfect candidate for direct drive using a Pila 168S Li-Ion which are very good at driving 1W luxeons very brightly. I'll report back when I receive my R2H HD's.

- There is also plenty of room to add your own converter board such as Badboys, etc.. I was able to install a Badboy 750 and a 5W HD in the light last night but I didn't have proper heatsinking so I didn't run it like that for too long. I only played with it like this for a while wasn't able to get a decent beam out of the 5W. It didn't seem as tight or as nice as the 1W and it had a "donut" when the beam was relatively tight.

For now I think I will be running it as 1W R2H HD direct driven/overdriven with a Pila battery. Should make for a nice 1W luxeon light that is very bright, very white, with a good throw and to top it all off, rechargeable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Sproing said:
Dan,

I'm not sure if I am measuring it properly but it seems to be drawing about 1.32 amps. Does that sound right? What is the correct method of measuring the current draw?

1.32 amps sounds pretty excessive. If the emitter is being driven to specs (350ma), then the regulator is drawing .98 amps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif The easiest way I know of to measure the total amp draw of the unit is to turn the flashlight on, remove the tail cap and touch one probe to the exposed battery and the other to the housing of the flashlight. It is possible that your ammeter is inaccurate in your chosen range but without more specific information, this is merely conjecture on my part. Another way to determine the accuracy of this reading is to do a run time test. Energizer (and I assume most manufacturers) rate their 123s at 1300mah. If the 1.32 amp draw you have measured is correct, than the run time should be less than 1 hour.

I also have a few R2H coming from the Sandwich Shoppe and if they are anything like the Q2J HD I have in the Brookstone now, they should be VERY nice. The color of the Q2J is one of the whitest (if not the whitest) luxeons I have even whiter than my Q3 ranked LD lights. I really like the beam pattern and color with the HD.. can't wait till I put the R2H in there and start overdriving it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes, my bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif I consulted the Lumiled AB21 .pdf and the #2 color ranking produces a color temperature of 5000-5500 degree K which should be the same as sunlight. I guess I was a little concerned because earlier #2s were a little on the green side. I'll be ordering some R2Hs from Wayne, later this week. Thanks for your input and be sure you check the output voltage of the regulator before you hook up that R2H (there's a half volt difference in the forward voltages, which equates to a considerable increase in current and you may have to add a resistor in series with the regulator to keep from damaging that rare Luxeon). Later.

Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Sproing said:

For now I think I will be running it as 1W R2H HD direct driven/overdriven with a Pila battery. Should make for a nice 1W luxeon light that is very bright, very white, with a good throw and to top it all off, rechargeable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been considering do a similar mod to my Pelican M6 but instead of using a McModule, I was going to modify the stock bulb assembly to accomodate a Luxeon. Too many flashlights, not enough time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Dan

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK Sproing,

You picqued my interest and I went out and bought one. I measure 357ma draw for the entire unit, so either the converter is extremely efficient (95% for some PWM buck converters) or the LS is slightly under-driven. Either way, Wayne is going to get some of my filthy lucre. Oh, lucky Wayne!! Keep ya posted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan

By the way, this light fits really well in a Bianchi 7311S holster. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, I've got a couple of R2Hs on the way along with a couple of Krolls. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif One Kroll is for a Mini Mag conversion I'm doing and the other is potentially for this light. If the main switch in this light is amenable or modifiable to dual mode operation (as a dimmer) I would like to try this McGizmo inspired mod. I'll know more after I take this apart and run some tests. Later.

Dan

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

PercaDan,

From a 2x123 supply with 357mA draw, the power is 2.1W from the battery. Assuming the LED is driven at 1W, that's 50% efficiency. If we assume a more probable 1.25W (yeah I know that's a pretty precise assumption /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) the efficiency rises to 62.5%. That's pretty mediocre efficiency for a buck regulator. Like you said, 90+ percent efficiency from a buck is easily attainable. Maybe they shoulda paid dat2zip to design a circuit for them.

CM