Cabela's gift cards are getting hot!!

Yes, they are burning a hole in my wallet and I need to do something fast!! I've got $75 worth, and I can probably up that by another $75, give or take. I was browsing around at the flashlights and thought maybe it's time to take the plunge on a Surefire. Here's my story, I'm big on LEDs, I've got an L2D, a TK40, and an RRT-0 as the main usage lights, but I have no Surefires and have never owned one. I also have keychain lights covered so nothing needed there other than the EOS A3 I'm getting once BJ re-opens. I also just recently made the jump into RCR123s so i've got a small handful of those plus a Nano charger.

I look over the Surefires but I'm frankly dumbfounded; there are so many models and choices and I have a hard time differentiating them. 65 lumens upgradeable to 120. 120 lumens upgradeable to 200. 200 lumen E2D that looks just like a 120 lumen something else (which I can't remember the name of). I honestly haven't even decided whether I want incan or led, or whether I want it stock or buy something to upgrade. I think I understand correctly that the 6P is the number one choice for modding/dropins, but would I have to get it bored out to to use the best choice of power in an 18650?

So that was a lot of info and questions, but here's the real question: for my first Surefire would you recommend incan, led, or mod/drop-in? The only thing I know for sure is that I'm not interested in using primaries, so any suggestions need to be compatible with some form of rechargeables. I look forward to hearing your advice, and appreciate all your comments.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think your making a solid decision with the Surefire I have yet to own one I regret. I think a good place to start if you like clicky's is the E-series, my favorite is the E2DL. If you like a twisty switch you have your L-series, LX2 is really nice.

The newest of these two is the 200 lumen versions and Surefire does not recommend using rechargeables but many members do. Here is a list of threads of interest about the E2DL and rechargeables to get you started.

http://www.google.com/search?q=E2DL+and+rechargeables&sitesearch=candlepowerforums.com

swsccassidy

Newly Enlightened
What if you bought a 6P and maybe a spares carrier or holster with the gift card and use the cash to get a drop in or two? Check this out:

http://www.lighthound.com/Bulbs_c_46.html

You could get a solarforce drop in with modes, a nailbender, thrunite, lumens factory...the list goes on and on! The P60 style drop ins are common and reasonably priced so you can get several and mix and match. I think this is a great way to make one light into an even more versatile light. They allow you to use primaries or rechargeables depending on your choice of voltage. The drop ins are also compatible with many others (many surefires, Solarforce L2, etc). You could also get one of these to make the 6P into a 9P

http://www.lighthound.com/Solarforce-L2-Flashlight-Extension-Tube--L2-ECR_p_1625.html

lisantica

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm reading your post and thinking, hmmmm, I'd like to go to a Cabela's and check out their Surefires, etc.
So I went to their website and did a search for the closest store:

281.9 miles away :mecry:

Bummer!

Brian321

Enlightened
My first Surefire was a 6P with a malkoff M61 drop-in (Awesome:thumbsup:). There are alot of great SF lights, Its all about what suits you best and what you like. Cabelas has a good selection ( Im not sure if you knew this but if you ask to look at the ones in the glass case, they have batteries in them and you can get a feel for what you like.):wave:

I'm reading your post and thinking, hmmmm, I'd like to go to a Cabela's and check out their Surefires, etc.
So I went to their website and did a search for the closest store:

281.9 miles away :mecry:

Bummer!

Cabela's has a good selection, But they dont really carry alot of high end Surefires( A2 Aviator, M6, T1A, etc,) The best one i have seen there is a U2 ultra.

Last edited:
Cabela's has a good selection, But they dont really carry alot of high end Surefires( A2 Aviator, M6, T1A, etc,) The best one i have seen there is a U2 ultra.

Yes, I believe the U2 Ultra was the nicest one I saw, and it was in the box inside the case.

jhc37013 said:
Here is a list of threads of interest about the E2DL and rechargeables to get you started.

http://www.google.com/search?q=E2DL+...owerforums.com

Thank you, I have ready most of those, and there didn't seem to be a lot of definitive answers; much speculation and a lot of "I'm too nervous to run RCRs for more than a few minutes in mine." I noticed most folks saying that you could absolutely use 1 17650 or soemthing like that safely, but with diminished output which kind of sours the deal. I was also having a hard time determining compatability for incan versions. Would I pop a bulb if I run 8.4V on a 6.0V incan?

You absolutely will, I did it with mine with my first SF:ohgeez:. But now i run a Malkoff and use 2 RCR123's:twothumbs

So can I pretty much make the generalization that people who don't mind using primaries are more likely to run their's stock, and people who want rechargeables will use a drop in?

da.gee

Enlightened
You can run an A2 on RCRs if they fit although theoretically it may shorten the life of the LEDs from a gazillion to a bazillion hours. It won't pop the incan bulb.

Brian321

Enlightened
Also using a drop in has tons of benefits. ( Greater runtime or greater output, different beam patterns, More throw, more flood, cool tint, warm tint, etc.) Depending on which on you get. I like to have a few different ones that way i have a few different options.

So can I pretty much make the generalization that people who don't mind using primaries are more likely to run their's stock, and people who want rechargeables will use a drop in?

It all depends on the person. I like using rechargeables because i dont have to buy batteries all the time.( I like to play with my lights alot). But if im going Caving, Hiking, etc i will bring primarys with me.

Last edited:

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy your Surefire light and drop in online, and use the cards for some other gear like footwear, etc. (stuff you need to try on/out)

Retail markup + tax on a surefire at Cabelas is gonna hurt.

Excellent deals online, either on the forums, or other sites.

my $.02

DM51

Flashaholic
Are there aftermarket drop ins with an incan bulb that will support 8.4V?
SF Lamp assemblies designed for 3 CR123A primaries will work well with 2x Li-Ions. There are also Lumens Factory LAs of varying output to choose from.

The brighter bulbs such as the SF P91 will need high-capacity cells (or IMR cells) and you'll need to be careful about heat in your G2. The P90 would be fine in that. For further information, this excellent thread by mdocod will tell you all you need to know.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
A few years ago I found a Palight at Cabella's. Great light to drain those 9v batts from the smoke alarms.

Geoff

SF Lamp assemblies designed for 3 CR123A primaries will work well with 2x Li-Ions. There are also Lumens Factory LAs of varying output to choose from.

The brighter bulbs such as the SF P91 will need high-capacity cells (or IMR cells) and you'll need to be careful about heat in your G2. The P90 would be fine in that. For further information, this excellent thread by mdocod will tell you all you need to know.

THANK YOU DM51!! I had not seen that thread before, but it is bookmarked now. What an awesome wealth of knowledge.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
so you've got about $150 at your disposal. I'd use the store credit on the 6P and spend the $75 in your other pocket on a malkoff.

Option 2 would be the E2L... but only if they have the latest version with the KX2 head. Their description reads like its the older version (less bright and less efficient). The KX2 will get you 110L OTF, 2 hours of solid regulation off 2xRCR123.

Last edited:
so you've got about $150 at your disposal. I'd use the store credit on the 6P and spend the $75 in your other pocket on a malkoff.

Option 2 would be the E2L... but only if they have the latest version with the KX2 head. Their description reads like its the older version (less bright and less efficient). The KX2 will get you 110L OTF, 2 hours of solid regulation off 2xRCR123.

Thanks for the tip, but most of the good ones seem to be sold out everywhere they are sold. I guess I have get on their email notification and buy one the minute they become available?

stallion2

Enlightened
don't waste any $ on a light w/ Cabela's name on it...unless they are practically giving them away. a 6P is an excellent idea but i would suggest going w/ an incan and getting an LED lamp elsewhere. Moddoo makes a good point, Cabela's isn't necessarily the best place to purchase SF's. no less, Cabela's does have excellent customer service...just don't expect to get the same person twice. i recently dumped a couple xmas and bday cards for an A2 in the bargain cave that was a demo...perfect condition and also an Energizer Nightstrike, the swivel version. i highly recommend this light...very cool, great utility light.