Which EDC flash light can use 123 and AA batteries?

vudoo

Enlightened
Hi All,

Does anyone know which EDC flashlight besides the Jetbeam RRT-0 that can use both CR123 and AA batteries with an extension tube? I seem to remember another brand that offered this but cant seem to find out who it was even after searching? :thinking:

Basically I want to get a new EDC, but would like something that uses CR123's so it can be as small as possible, but I would also like it to run on AA/14500 so if I went travelling I know I could get batteries for it easily.

What I am looking for:
- Am willing to spend $100ish
- Small as possible (8-10cms)
- Output of around 200 lumens
- More floody beam then throw
- Waterproof
- wide voltage range to use AA, 14500, CR123, RCR123
- Good runtime 30min+
- Tailstand (Can compromise)
- Forward clicky (Can compromise)
- No donut hole!

Phew.....:laughing:

Anyone?

boulder

Newly Enlightened
Try the Quark 123 and buy the AA body to go with it. The head takes 0.9 to 4.2 volts I believe so it will work on both bodies.

The light costs $60 and the body is $20. So you get two lights for $80!!! :)

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know of any other light that does what you are asking, but I can tell you that the RRT-0 fits all the criteria you listed very well. I can also tell you that the RRT-0 is a hella nice light that you will not be sorry to own. I have carried mine every day since I got it 4 months ago. I will be honest that I am partial to JETBeam, but with good reason. I am also partial to Surefire.

vudoo

Enlightened
BondR006 - The RRT-0 is up for consideration but I really want to make sure that I have looked at all the options.

P.S. I read your review. Awesome work!

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hugsby P2, a budget light. Fits all your criteria except the forward clicky and flood part. This light throws better than any AA light I've seen. But RRT-0 and C2H are definitely much better choices in quality.

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't really need it, but I have to say I have been lusting over that rrt-o too. The selector ring looks super useful and it is just a fantastically cool looking light. Plus that it takes both cr123's and AA's....

vudoo

Enlightened
Quark
Good- Great output, solid build, well priced
Bad - I may end up with a green tint light

RRT 0 -
Good - Looks good, great UI, trusted brand, great throw
Bad - More likely to have problems due to more moving parts?, pricy

C2H -
Good - Great price, bright, AA tube included
Bad- Runtime of 30 minsish

vudoo

Enlightened
I don't really need it, but I have to say I have been lusting over that rrt-o too. The selector ring looks super useful and it is just a fantastically cool looking light. Plus that it takes both cr123's and AA's....

Hmm...$14.68 from DX? Its cheap but is it too cheap it will fall apart after a few weeks?

shark_za

Enlightened
The Fenix LD10/20 and PD20 all use the same head.

Just get the 1xAA or 2xAA body along with the 1xCR123 body and tailcap.

Thats quite versatile.

Quite a few offer this, like the quark mentioned.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm...$14.68 from DX? Its cheap but is it too cheap it will fall apart after a few weeks?

You did ask if there're any other lights that can take 123 and AA. :laughing:
Got it for 2 weeks now and still ok. :naughty:
But seriously speaking, better to invest in a quality light for travelling, RRT-0 will be a better choice because of a friendlier UI and well, it's a Jetbeam.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RRT-0 is one of the coolest little lights I've ever seen. It's nice and small, bright and gorgeous and that damn ring is a godsent for people like me that are too damn stupid to use them funky interfaces and the way the extender is made, it's too cool. If you don't know it's there, you can't see it :)

Also, the super low mode COULD be useful and save your life one day in an emergency.

George

RRT 0 -
Good - Looks good, great UI, trusted brand, great throw
Bad - More likely to have problems due to more moving parts?, pricy

Order through Bug Out Gear USA, use code CPFJET, and you'll get the light plus AA extender for 88.00 shipped, only $8 more that the Quark combo. That get's you the cooler than sliced bread selector ring (mad props to Guiri for that one:twothumbs).

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got good taste, what can I say :rolleyes:

It's probably how I've come to the conclusion that I'm ugly and stupid :crackup: