Which Tint?

• R5-1A

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • R4-5B1

Votes: 46 71.9%

• Total voters

Anto

Enlightened
Getting a feel for which tints people prefer for the XPG.

5000k.jpg

(Chart borrowed from rav)

Tints from cutter:

R5-1A tint
R4-5B1

Keep in mind tint vs. brightness.

Anto

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends what you use it for.

1A is the cool end of the old WC bin. It is best for indoor or downtown where most buildings are light gray concrete.

5A is neutral white (sometimes referred to as neutral warm white) produces a 'dirty brown' coloration on white walls (yuk). It is great for a walk in the woods because tree trunks are brown.

Search for neutral white and/or neutral warm white and you will find much discussion on the topic.

Personally I prefer the creamy white of WD or slightly warmer which is 2A, 2D, 3A, 3D.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
From Cree I have a strong preference for the warm/neutral tints and like the 5A (Quark neutral) quite a bit, but like the 5B (EZAAw) even better.

Which tint you prefer, regardless of setting will boil down to your own preference but when you see statements of one being better than the other, it's basically a matter of what you like as opposed to what's better.

I'd rather have warm/neutral all the time, indoors or out and the only cooler tints I like will be those with a more bluish cast for their ability to recall moonlight.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer neutral/warm tints over cool ones for all around use.Cooler tints are fine indoors and maybe even better in some instances than neutral/warm tints (indoors)but any advantage they have is slight.Outdoors neutral/warm is MUCH better than cooler tints to my eyes.I do agree cooler tints look better on a white wall but in practical use neutral/warm wins out for me.Maybe we need a light with BOTH LEDs in seperate reflectors that is still small enough to EDC and runs forever on one battery and ...............:rolleyes:

hoongern

Enlightened
Which tint you prefer, regardless of setting will boil down to your own preference but when you see statements of one being better than the other, it's basically a matter of what you like as opposed to what's better.

+1

Let's keep this in mind throughout this discussion - that it is a matter of preference - subjective, rather than objectively better/worse.

For the record, I like my warm incans and my cool whites. I don't like the neutral whites Crees I've seen (A high CRI one may give me a different opinion if I ever get the chance to see one), but I know many do, and that's totally fine!

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
id like neutral or even warm *IF* I didnt have to sacrifice lumens...:devil:

tho in a couple years stuff might b so bright it dosent matter.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also prefer the neutral tint. But I really don't like this slightly warm tints like the 1A etc. Right know I testing a 3000K P4 maybe I even like the warm tint better than the neutral tint.

rayman

arek98

Enlightened
I prefer neutral tints, not to yellow though. 4000K-4500K is about perfect range for me in flashlight. Between R5-1A and R4-5B1 the second is clear choice for me.

Fulgeo

Enlightened
+1
For the record, I like my warm incans and my cool whites. I don't like the neutral whites Crees I've seen (A high CRI one may give me a different opinion if I ever get the chance to see one), but I know many do, and that's totally fine!

I would like to +1 your +1. For my eyes your description perfectly expresses my preference.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are no R4 neutral-white xp-g's yet.
That means that 5B1 would be outdoor-white.
Cree has omitted the SPD of outdoor white, and many people would like to see what has changed. Is it a small change, the CRI of outdoor-white is lower 70 vs. 75 of cool/neutral (and 80 of warm)

Isn't the loss of flux only 6%, that is a small, almost negligible reduction in output.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Volere for Anto? :naughty:

Nearly nobody knows what he preffers, as I guess nearly nobody has seen an R4-5B1 by now.

I'll get a neutral white, as I usually preffer neutral whites and I've been looking forward to get at least brighter neutral emitter than Q4, the R4 is a huge step forward! :twothumbs

dirtech

Enlightened
So many views, but not many voters. Maybe tint really isn't important to many at all. I voted for the warmer of the two,but I'm not up to snuff on the new tint categorization. I liked nuetrals until I acquired a 7A tinted moddoo triple and then modded a P60L with a 3000K P4. Those tints looks very similiar to an P60 on one 17650 which might seem warmer being underdriven.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think lots of us are just waiting for another run of Antos
modules in general- pretty nice numbers in BIG C's sphere O
truth!

Id take the R4 as its almost as bright but probably better
in the woods tho IM not sure how much higher the
CRI is...

recDNA

Flashaholic
Getting a feel for which tints people prefer for the XPG.

5000k.jpg

(Chart borrowed from rav)

Tints from cutter:

R5-1A tint
R4-5B1

Keep in mind tint vs. brightness.

Anto
pure whitge on cool side