Help me decide which RA Clicky to get

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right cpf'ers I call on your great persuasion powers.

I currently have a 140 Clicky Narrow beam with the black SS bezel , I have 2 Novatacs with K2's emitters in them and these both have better tints and are brighter but I totally love the RA build quality and UI is better to me so Im going to have to get another.

A few questions I have.

The High cri version, is it too warm a tint, also how does brightness compare the 140, is it noticably 40 lumens dimmer. I did a test in the woods with my E1E with an extreme output lumens factory lamp at 90 lumens against the Clicky, the warm incan tint really helped and made my 140Cn look the same brightness, just less spill on the E1E

Or how about the 170 C narrow does it have an ugly purple tint becasuse of the more efficent emitter, I heard somewhere that Henry said the reason they are a different tint is down to the effieciency.

Or should I stick with 140 lumens spend the right money and get a GT?

My gut tells me to get 170Cn but I would like to try the high cri

Any user opinions of the above models.

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eyes don't percieve light in a linear fashion. It takes about 4 times the output of light to appear twice as bright, all else being equal. So you will not realistically be able to determine the difference between 100 and 140 lumens.

Also, because of the higher CRI, colors (especially reds and greens) will appear "brighter" or "fuller" with the high CRI clicky, compared to the regular clicky's. This may make the differences in output appear more negligible.

sigsour

Newly Enlightened
I bought the RA170 and yes, it had that purple haze to it when a few feet from the white wall routine. I will admit that it took some getting used to but in the end I am very happy with it and wouldnt hesitate to buy another with the same tint.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't really see a reason for you to get the 170 if you already have the 140 with narrow beam pattern. Personally I would opt for the high CRI Clicky or wait to see if Henry releases the new Twisty with the high CRI LED....if you like Twisties more!?!?:naughty:

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys a lot of question answered there, good thinking about not getting another narrow beam as I have that covered with the 140Cn, I have never had a mutli output twistie, I quiet like clickies, I use the momentary on feature a lot.

I noticed that with my incancs colours are brighter and easier on the eyes to make out and appear brighter than monotone so to speak LED's

$220 deliverd to the UK for a purple beam aint going to cut it, im leaning more and more toward the high cri.

Anyone else have any opinions on the GT models as opposed to the high cri, its easier to get a GT here than a custom built from Henry.

How is the tint at lower output levels for the high cri, does it shift at all

SFfanman

Enlightened
I am glad I stumbled upon this thread as I was in the same boat you are but my decision was going to be my first Ra. I can't really speak for the 170cn or the narrow beam as I have never owned one. But I did own both a High CRI 100 and a 140 GT. I ended up keeping the GT. At the time I had a custom high CRI T1a and the tint in that just barely beat out the clicky so I kept it. The GT has a pure white as-pure-and-even-as- white-can-be sort of tint. I personally love the tint of the L1. It is warmer than the GT but cooler than the Ra High CRI. Ideally, I would love to see an Ra retrofitted with any kind of Led that would give the clicky that respective tint. The High CRI just popped out the greens when I took it early morning through an outdoor jog. Lovely really, but there is a bit of brown that can be detected around the corona if I can remember correctly. That was the main reason it didn't beat out my modded T1a. If I had to do it all over again, I still am not sure which one I'd prefer. :thinking: Both rendered colors pretty accurately only some were brought out better than others. I hope it helps.

CLBME

Enlightened
I have the 170n and agree with Sigsour- it does have the purple tint outside the hotspot, but for my purposes it frankly doesn't concern me. I don't know how much you'd gain by going from the 140 narrow to the 170 narrow for the same reasons John Galt mentioned.

I don't have a GT or CRI so I'm afraid I cannot help you there. I do have what enjoy to be a good sampling of Ra's. The 85Tr, the EDC @ 120 lumens and the 170n. I can perceive the difference between the EDC and 170 given the difference in beam pattern and of course the Twisty is a different UI.

Given this I might suggest a model that is different from what you have? Just my opinion though.

I bought the RA170 and yes, it had that purple haze to it when a few feet from the white wall routine. I will admit that it took some getting used to but in the end I am very happy with it and wouldnt hesitate to buy another with the same tint.

Bass

Enlightened
I can't help you with comparisons; I only have the 140 GT but for me, the extra money was worth it to get the guaranteed tint. The pure white, smooth transitional beam is a pleasure to use.

I find that beam, tint and UI are the most important things in a light if you are going to be using it a lot, or as EDC, and the 140 GT is perfect. Flush clicky as well, so tailstands.

Available from a couple of UK retailers as well.

Muddquez

Newly Enlightened
I have an RA 140, 140GT, and a High CRI and my favorite is the High CRI. I think It's just a matter of preference. If you like warm tints, your going to love the High CRI. If you just want a nice white beam then you should definitely opt for the GT, It's worth the extra cash. The bluish tint on my other Clicky isn't bad, I just prefer neutral or warm over blue.

I must say that I didn't prefer the High CRI at first, I've kind of grown into it. I originally preferred the GT until I tried switching back and forth between lights. All three are outstanding lights and if I didn't have all three to compare I think I'd be happy with any of the three.

SFfanman

Enlightened
I have an RA 140, 140GT, and a High CRI and my favorite is the High CRI. I think It's just a matter of preference. If you like warm tints, your going to love the High CRI. If you just want a nice white beam then you should definitely opt for the GT, It's worth the extra cash. The bluish tint on my other Clicky isn't bad, I just prefer neutral or warm over blue.

I must say that I didn't prefer the High CRI at first, I've kind of grown into it. I originally preferred the GT until I tried switching back and forth between lights. All three are outstanding lights and if I didn't have all three to compare I think I'd be happy with any of the three.

That is a very interesting point because I only owned my high CRI for less than a week yet after using my GT for awhile, there were times when I was like man, I miss that warmer tint. I forgot to note before that I didn't notice much difference in full brightness between the two other than maybe a tad more with the GT. If you could only keep one which would it be?

Muddquez

Newly Enlightened
As far as brightness, the High CRI is the brightest of the three and If I were to keep only one it would definitely be the High CRI.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
So all the boxes are getting ticked here, a lot of people saying dont bother with the 170 because basically I have that covered witht my 140 Narrow.

Im leaning towards the high cri more and more, if the tint on my current clicky still bothers me I can always sell it and muster up some extra funds for the GT at a later date, I have 2 minty Novatac K2's that could possibly total the price of the GT if I sold them both.

How about that titanium bezel, anyone have one, does it come with the serial number on it?

Thanks guys :cool:

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
Abarth_1200,

The titanium bezels have the same marking as the regular stainless steel bezels. And yes, they have a serial number on them.

If price is a primary consideration, the GT from the local dealers should be less expensive. However, the high CRI produces very nice colors and many people prefer warmer tints in high humidity (rain, mist) environments.

Henry.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I've got SSC high CRI emitters in both my Ra Clicky and my T1A - all I can say is they are very pleasant to use and they make you forget all the negative stuff you hear about blue or green and sterile looking light.

Bass

Enlightened
Henry,

The CRI is something I would like but delivery to UK and possible import duties make it un-economical for me. Is there an option that your UK dealers can take custom orders and have them delivered with their regular orders, saving all these issues?

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got SSC high CRI emitters in both my Ra Clicky and my T1A - all I can say is they are very pleasant to use and they make you forget all the negative stuff you hear about blue or green and sterile looking light.

Ditto on these two lights - and I can't decide which light I like more. The T1A is definitely not as bright as the Ra, but it has a wider spot, a much simpler UI (turn one way for higher, the other way for lower), a much lower low and better battery life on primaries. The Ra is just a solid well made light which can fill 95% of your needs indoors and out.

The high CRI Ra is listed as having a wide beam but IMHO anything tighter wouldn't be proper for up close work.

I have grown to hate lights like the Quark with super tight spots and very little flood as they are impractical for almost all indoor use.

If I want throw I pull out my M3 or M6.

As far as brightness, the High CRI is the brightest of the three and If I were to keep only one it would definitely be the High CRI.

Could you explain that statement? Under what circumstance are you referring to the lowest output light as being the brightest. (Keep in mind I hate anything in the angry blue range - so high CRI is probably the only LEDs I will buy for the most part moving forward).

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK looks like a high cri for me, my birthday is a few weeks away so need to order it soon for it to arrive in time.

Henry thanks for clearing that up, still looking for some pics, do they look any different than the SS

AILL

Newly Enlightened
Well not SO much experience here, but I have/had a 140Cn and a 140CGT.
(Cn sold, CGT still riding from time to time in my pocket (as well as some Novatacs too...)).
I vote for the CGT-I really love the tint. It is truely amazing.
Neutral or warm tint you can buy with several different lights. But GT you only get with the RA. (or with an older one HDS of course...)

Andreas

Last edited: