Wow, there are still a fair amount of unproteced wi-fi networks out there

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yesterday I had time to kill while waiting for my doctor's appointment so I went strolling thru a densely populated suburban neighborhood with my wi-fi Ipod touch in hand. At any given time, I was picking up at least three or four wifi networks but amazingly enough, I would say more then one in ten was unprotected and allowed my itouch internet access. I assume if this was a computer instead of my itouch and the wi-fi network had shared folders, I would be able to access them?

I purchased and set up my first wi-fi router just a few months ago when I purchased the itouch. The router setup page prominently urged that I enable security and enabling security was two mouse clicks and one text entry for a password.

So I was very surprised to see that amount of unprotected networks.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no need to protect my wireless, as the signal does not reach outside of my house. If someone is hijacking my wireless, I've got bigger problems. :ohgeez:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Around my home they are all secured now :( So as of last month I must pay pay pay...:mecry:

TriChrome

Enlightened
I have to drive several blocks away to get a single unsecured network... although at my apartment there's literally 10 different secured networks I can see but can't get into.

I've been keeping myself busy by having my iPhone broadcast a WiFi network of it's own. I only get 200KB/sec on a good day (more like 60-120 KB normally), but it'll work for now until I find a new job and can afford regular internet.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone else find it funny that all the unprotected ones are named "linksys" or "belkin" (with some numbers attached)?

Back when I got a Buffalo router, it simply suggested a unique hexa-decimal number as name. My current Apple router suggested nothing at all -- I had to think of a name.

jcvjcvjcvjcv

Enlightened
Well, there a still a lot of people buying $30 stuff and hiring the 'oh so smart neighborhood kid' to install the thing.

:whistle:

Anyway: I don't want the main page of my accespoint to warn about security. I can think for myself and have it set up with a full lenth key, WPA2 and MAC adress white listing. Good luck to hack in!

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
...snip... I assume if this was a computer instead of my itouch and the wi-fi network had shared folders, I would be able to access them?

...snip...

Maybe, and Maybe not

For instance, my router (dual channel) has "guest" mode - turn it on, and there are actually TWO WiFi access ports - MY secured side, and an open side - but that can ONLY connect to the internet side of the router

I also know a few people who run 2 wifi routers to basically get the same effect - the 1st one is hooked to the internet, the 2nd (secured) is behind the first, and the home network is behind that

I have no need to protect my wireless, as the signal does not reach outside of my house. If someone is hijacking my wireless, I've got bigger problems. :ohgeez:

I thought the same thing, until the day I got what was essentially a Cease and Desist Order from Lions Gate Films saying that I had downloaded pirated movies off the internet. I was confused until I figured out it was one of my neighbors stealing my internet AND movies. That was the end of unsecured wi-fi coming out of my house.

It01Firefox

Newly Enlightened

That might be true, but sometimes high gain directional antennas can work wonders. You might never know unless you tested it.

carling

Newly Enlightened
Most "old" and "cheap" wireless routers came pre-configured/default as unsecured. The recent ones are usually more secure and are configured with WPA or WPA2 encryption.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the same thing, until the day I got what was essentially a Cease and Desist Order from Lions Gate Films saying that I had downloaded pirated movies off the internet. I was confused until I figured out it was one of my neighbors stealing my internet AND movies. That was the end of unsecured wi-fi coming out of my house.
i always wondered. are you legally responsible for that? i mean someone is illegally using your internet.
or do you have an obligation to protect it or responsibility for anything with your internet.

How does one protect it? How do you tell if somebody is stealing it?

Someone more technical than I may jump in, but I don't know that you can prove that it wasn't you if you have an unsecured wireless network.

You just secure your wireless router by essentially adding a password. The default setting on mine was unsecured with no specific instructions or recommendations toward making it secured.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does one protect it? How do you tell if somebody is stealing it?

i think realistically speaking nothing is totally protected unless you go wired and ethernet cables in the house.

wep is easily cracked with stuff you can find on the internet
wpa is better

it's best to
1. rename ssid(router name)
2. have a mac list(mac is the unique serial number to wifi products) to limit to only your computer
3. set password
4. shut off broadcasting
5. shut off router when not using
6. have neighbors with open connections :p

just make it as difficult as possible so that someone goes after someone weaker.
sort of like the hiking in bear country. you invite that slow kid you dont really like. see a bear, run like heck!

i think most router allow you to check what devices are "attached" so you can see if there is something else.

i guess it's a gray area if someone is doing illegal stuff with your internet. one way of thinking is that someone stole your car to do a crime. dont think you'll be responsible.
or do they view it like the burgular got injured on your property and you are getting sued. you shouldve shoveled that snow.

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the 5 networks I can reach that aren't mine, one is open (naturally named "linksys") and all the rest are WEP, so they're open to anyone with a packet sniffer and some internet-found know-how.

My network is WPA2-encrypted and consists of 2 Apple Airport Expresses. One is the access point and the other is a repeater in the basement on the other side of the house. The base station has a printer connected, too.

I have my suspicions that most of the WEP-secured networks are WEP because when you set up a network in Microsoft XP it says under WPA: "More secure but may not be compatible with all devices." This may have been true in 1999, but all wireless devices can use WPA and have been able to for several years. I think my neighbors' reactions to that windows statement must have been, "I don't know if these devices are WPA-capable, so I'd better play it safe with WEP!"

I also know that Apple routers blink orange (instead of solid green) if you set them up as open, unless you actively choose the option to ignore the security breach that is the open network. There's also no option to use WEP. It's WPA2 or open, which I think is right.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
i think realistically speaking nothing is totally protected unless you go wired and ethernet cables in the house.

wep is easily cracked with stuff you can find on the internet
wpa is better

it's best to
1. rename ssid(router name)
2. have a mac list(mac is the unique serial number to wifi products) to limit to only your computer
3. set password
4. shut off broadcasting
5. shut off router when not using
6. have neighbors with open connections :p

just make it as difficult as possible so that someone goes after someone weaker.
sort of like the hiking in bear country. you invite that slow kid you dont really like. see a bear, run like heck!

i think most router allow you to check what devices are "attached" so you can see if there is something else.

i guess it's a gray area if someone is doing illegal stuff with your internet. one way of thinking is that someone stole your car to do a crime. dont think you'll be responsible.
or do they view it like the burgular got injured on your property and you are getting sued. you shouldve shoveled that snow.

x2...

There is a counter culture of hackers that get their jollies just riding around residential neighborhoods hacking into wifi networks with laptops and downloaded software.

My home network is all-CAT5 from end to end:twothumbs

Theres an unprotected wifi signal at my bus stop 3-400 yards from my house.

jcvjcvjcvjcv

Enlightened

I would tell them to walk to the moon.

Downloading movies in legal where I live :D

Uploading is not though. But that's the usenet provider's problem.

Also: If they know you downloaded their movie... they probably uploaded it.

csa

Enlightened
I don't know what's so amazing about it.

I leave mine open and unsecured. It makes it easy enough for my friends to use, and I keep an eye on it. Each computer can't access the others unless I allow it.

I haven't gotten C&D orders yet, and if I do, I know how to respond to them.

I see no reason not to share with others when it doesn't cost me anything to do so.