Dereelight CL1H V4 questions.

shilent

Newly Enlightened
Just got my CL1H V4 and got some questions:

1. Is the lens removable, and is it worth replacing? Or is the stock one good?
2. I removed the clip and now I can't get it back on snug. It fits loosely, what am I missing?
3. My Nailbender drop-ins fits much more loosely than in my Solarforce hosts, what have you guys done for a better fit/heat transfer? (This is for CL1H owners only, foil does not work)

stallion2

Enlightened
foil doesn't work? i installed it w/ my lamp no problem. even if the foil doesn't reach the host's inner surface the additional mass will still draw more heat away compared to using nothing.

shilent

Newly Enlightened
I guess foil works, I need to use so many layers though.

This clip is starting to **** me off. I can't seem to get it on right and it's driving me crazy. I already scratched some of the anodized parts off trying to put this thing on.

Has anyone removed their clip and installed it back on with no problems?

stallion2

Enlightened

This clip is starting to **** me off. I can't seem to get it on right and it's driving me crazy. I already scratched some of the anodized parts off trying to put this thing on.

weird...my Dereelights all came w/ them installed. its definitely worth it to use the foil to its full capacity. so long as you don't bypass the circuit, i would say use it everywhere. that or copper tape/banding...which as it turns out is pretty hard to find. i think i'm gonna have to settle w/ ordering some online. on some of my nicer lamps i have smeared heat sink grease on the strips before wrapping them up. i use the cheap stuff for that, save something like Arctic 5 for the threads. plus it holds the foil together better which comes in handy if you do a lot of exchanging lamps to hosts as i do.

bkap

Newly Enlightened

I had the same problem with the cl1h v4 that I got in last week. When I took my clip off I notice that it had a small piece of wire under each of the three screws. I reinstalled it with out wire under screws and it would not tighten up. It needs longer screw in the collar that hold the clip on.

Last edited:

shilent

Newly Enlightened
I just stripped one of the threads where the screw goes in while trying to get the damn thing on. I emailed Dereelight and asked if I could order just the clip along with 3 screws.

Edit: I just noticed Flashlightconnection.com sells them.

Last edited:

Dole

Newly Enlightened
One time I removed the pocket clip ad tried to put on the regular cigar grip ring but the screws didn't all go in together. I could only get 2 at a time and the last one would be off center. Luckily I got the pocket clip one back on with no problems so i stuck with it.

bkap

Newly Enlightened
I had the same problem with the cl1h that I got last week. I took the clip off when I got and notice that they had small pieces of wire under the screw so they would tighten up. I put the clip back on without them and it was loose. I email the dealer I bought it from and this was what he said.
"I found out from Dereelight that the latest batch of clips are loose. They tightened them up by placing small bits of wire in the screw holes. Why they didn't just find longer screws, I have no idea. I'm going to email them to see if they can find a better fix for the issue. I'll let you know what they say. Sorry for the trouble."

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've removed and replaced the clip on my CL1Hv4 several times with no problems. I'm just careful to rotate the ring until I see all the holes are centered, and then alternately lightly tighten the screws until they are all tight.

Similar to how you tighten riflescope rings.

stallion2

Enlightened
One time I removed the pocket clip ad tried to put on the regular cigar grip ring but the screws didn't all go in together. I could only get 2 at a time and the last one would be off center. Luckily I got the pocket clip one back on with no problems so i stuck with it.

I've removed and replaced the clip on my CL1Hv4 several times with no problems. I'm just careful to rotate the ring until I see all the holes are centered, and then alternately lightly tighten the screws until they are all tight.

Similar to how you tighten riflescope rings.
interesting, the same pieces seem to be creating a variety of different and inconvenient issues. better that than some other part of the light thats more critical.
the first ring i tried to install was loose. the screws would tighten down on the threads in the ring but weren't long enough to wedge tightly against the body...then i used thread lock. when i got a 2nd DBS i just cut it off and installed the ring that came w/ the 2nd light and it went on perfect.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did have a "cigar grip" ring that was loose on a DBS. I cut some electrical tape and applied it to the ring and it's been rock solid for several years.

shilent

Newly Enlightened
I've been informed that Dereelight released a batch of CL1H V4s with screws that were a little too short for the clip. Their way of fixing it was to place pieces of wires between the body and the screw for a tighter fit. I did notice a small piece of black rubber/plastic that fell off while removing the clip.

Seriously, placing a small piece of wire? They couldn't have just got longer screws? Instead they just placed crap in between? I can't believe they would pull something like this.

Fortunately for me, Jay from Flashlightconnection offered to send me a new body with clip installed, talk about great customer service!

recDNA

Flashaholic
Just got my CL1H V4 and got some questions:

1. Is the lens removable, and is it worth replacing? Or is the stock one good?
2. I removed the clip and now I can't get it back on snug. It fits loosely, what am I missing?
3. My Nailbender drop-ins fits much more loosely than in my Solarforce hosts, what have you guys done for a better fit/heat transfer? (This is for CL1H owners only, foil does not work)

You can usually find copper tape at a guitar repair shop. Call any shop that sells guitars and ask them where they have them repaired.

You can also find copper foil in big squares or strips at AC Moore. I find it works better than aluminum foil

shilent

Newly Enlightened
What is everyone using to remove/tighten their lens/bezel? Mine seems to loosen a lot when removing the head.